Aston Villa 1 - 1 Newcastle United - 17/09/11 - post-match reaction from page 42

Rich

Well played lads. Tiote and Ba looked a lot sharper and fitter today. I would start Marveaux in the next game, he looks a good'un.

What can you say about Cabaye, absolutely class player fair play. I like the idea of Ben Arfa adding some real sharpness in the final 3rd, will make the others better too.

Guest sydneycove

I dont understand the Jonas love. Bloke has no finishing or passing skill what so ever. Can get past his man but has to be one of the most frustrating players in the world.

Guest bimpy474

Missed this (bloody driving lesson!). How did Tiote play? Better than the last few games?

Aye, broke play up well, decent passes, a couple of nightmare passes in front of our back four mind, he's getting better with every game imo.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I dont understand the Jonas love. Bloke has no finishing or passing skill what so ever. Can get past his man but has to be one of the most frustrating players in the world.

Disagree a lot.

Krul - 6. Not a busy day, could've done a bit better with the goal. Delivery better.

Simpson - 6. Didn't break any boundaries. Still doesn't look on top form; offers little going forward and still gets caught out of position. Couple of heart in mouth occasions during the odd Villa break, where he left Albrighton stacks of room. Fortunately Villa didn't exploit.

Taylor - 6. A couple of serious 'wtf' moments when coming for the high balls forward. Don't know if he was just coming too early or taking his eye of the ball, but he got lucky on more than one occasion. Solid otherwise, though.

Coloccini - 6. Should have done better for the goal and i don't think he shepherded the backline as well today.

R Taylor - 5. Thought he was average-to-poor tbh. Fortunately for him, N'Zogbia wasn't on great form. Also, all of his crosses were hopeless.

Obertan - 5. Don't like the look of him at all. Struggles to beat a man and has no final ball. A lot of running, that's all he has.

Cabaye - 8. You can have me. Some of those efforts at goal were tremendous.

Tiote - 7. Still not A1 but that was a much improved performance. Covered the defense well and found Newcastle players with more regularity. A couple of heart-in-mouth moments with some wayward passing, but an assured performance including a beautiful assist. Nice one.

Jonas - 7. Thought he worked really hard and covered Ryan Taylor really well at times.

Ba - 7. Much better. Better touch, more speed, more of an eye for goal, linked the play well at times (though i don't think he and Best fully have an understanding yet, it'll come). Really pleased to see him play well.

Best - 7. Scored.

Missed this (bloody driving lesson!). How did Tiote play? Better than the last few games?

Aye, broke play up well, decent passes, a couple of nightmare passes in front of our back four mind, he's getting better with every game imo.

Well that's good. Had a weird pre-season so I don't mind if it takes him a few games to get his feet. If he plays better again the next day I'll be happy.

Agree with some of what you are saying, but as long as we're stuck with Raylor at left back he's an essential starter for his defensive capabilities.

Like last season.

Dont agree! He is still giving the ball away to much, and make those stupid dribbles in-front of our defenders and loses the ball because other teams has studied him. Against better teams like man utd mark my words we will be punished. The positive is that he was better than last game and he didnt do does stupid tackles that makes him get yellow cards.

Guest VaVaVoom

Very good game. Very good point. Very good performance.

We were solid at the back, played it out nicely and we really are good in a tight spot. Raylor and Simpson done well too.

Cabaye was absolutely outstanding and dictated our play. He had 3 or 4 great efforts and on another day with a bit of luck we would of won this comfortably. Wont be long until he is amongst the goals. Tiote supported him well and got a great assist. Looked more like the Tiote of last season in the second half.

Its clear now what we have in Obertan...A baldy ugly french version of Jonas. He runs with the ball well but doesnt create anything. Marveaux showed in the time he was on far more guile and delivery and should be starting against Blackburn.

Movement upfront was decent in spells with Ba and Best working well. Ba really showed today whats to come with him. Quick feet, strength and a powerful strike. This HAS to be our 1st choice strikeforce until Barfa is back.

Strola was strola...lazy as fuck, useless touch and offered no option going forward. Sameobi is better and offers more already.

All in all it was a very good team performance. We passed the ball round amazingly at times and signs are there that Tiote and Cabaye are going to start controlling games. Very happy with the point. Still unbeaten.

Krul...7 Not much to do but what he did have to do he done well.

Simpson...7 Tidy and solid.

S.Taylor...8 A beast in the air, alert and very tidy.

Coloccini...8 Clever, skillful and anticipates play well.

R.Taylor...6 Never really tested defensively, didnt do anything wrong on the ball but his set pieces were poor.

Jonas...7 Tricky, quick feet and ran at defenders. As always no end product though.

Cabaye...10 Absolutely fantastic. Spread the ball all game, composed, clever, covered a lot of ground, won tackles and unlucky not to get a hattrick!MOM

Tiote...8 Shaky 1st half but dominant in the second. Great assist. Needs to shoot more imo.

Obertan...7 Same as Jonas.

Ba...7 Great feet, good strike, good movemnt off the ball. Getting up to speed now.

Best...8 Quick reactions for the goal, always wanting the ball and linked well with Ba.

Marveaux...Has to be starting ahead of either Jonas or Obertan. Quick, good feet and can find a pass.

Sameobi...Showing huge promise. Lovely chip for the disallowed goal. Should be ahead of his brother and Lovenkrands.

Strola...Fuckin awful. Cant believe we gave him a new contract.

Guest Dontooner

Deserved a Draw really...Bringing on Shola was virtually bringing us to 10 vs 11. Marvx was introduced all but too late.

Maybe if we kept Ba and Best on or maybe brought on  Marvx at the 70mins mark we would have nick it.

Thought it was a good game overall, many positives to shout about. Still need a quick and fast striker to make runs behind defenses without being off side.

Agree with some of what you are saying, but as long as we're stuck with Raylor at left back he's an essential starter for his defensive capabilities.

This. We need somebody with his work-rate covering Raylor of all people.