Nottingham Forest v NUFC - 20/09/11 @ 7.45pm - Carling Cup 3rd Round (not on TV)

Fenham Mag

The bottom line is we probably wont make the Champions league and even Europa might prove a bridge too far. Therefore I couldn't give a toss whether we then finish 9th or 14th etc and would much rather have a cup instead.

A very good cup run is a real possibility with this team so lets please throw everything at it.

An injury to Coloccini in September could be the difference between 7th and 18th this season. Would rather get us in to a position this season that we can build on next season than lose to Man City's second team in the Semis this year.

We will get injuries but they wont turn us into a team that suddenly needs to worry about relegation. And we have millions in the kitty for the Jan window should we need it.  :lol:

I'd give Ben Arfa the whole of the second half regardless of what the score is. Needs too be eased back rather than thrown straight back into things.

I'd give him 20-30 mins at most. By that time the game will have opened up and he's less likely to get clattered. Not that I want to wrap him in cotton wool but a gradual re-introduction would make sense to me.

Be frustrated if Ba doesn't play. He needs 90 minutes and a goal.

Agreed. I also think he needs to play in games where the ball is being played on the deck. So far yesterday was the only time this has happened so he needs more games to gel with his team mates.

I know everyone has seen it, but I just like posting it anyway

SkyGraemeBailey Graeme Bailey

Alan Pardew who says he has 'plenty of firepower' confirms Hatem Ben Arfa will play in Carling Cup on Tuesday #nufc

:bounce:

-------------------Harper--------------------

Raylor-----Staylor-----Colo--------Kadar

Marveaux--Cabaye--Gosling-----Ferguson

----------------------Sammy--------------------

-----------------------Ba------------------------

Would like to see Sammy in that role. Just to see him run around like a wild dog  :razz:

I think Pardew will pick this:

-------------------Harper--------------------

Raylor-----Staylor-----Colo--------Ferguson

Marveaux---Cabaye--Gosling------Sammy

--------------------Obertan--------------------

---------------------Best------------------------

Subs: Tiote, Vuckic, Krul, Simpson, Ba, Shola, Ben Arfa

I think Ben Arfa will get 30 mins.

Can't see him starting Sammy after his comments after the game yesterday. Said something about keeping him as an impact player cos he's too raw to start games at the moment. Fair enough really. As long as he gets some minutes against Forest, i'll be happy.

Can't see him starting Sammy after his comments after the game yesterday. Said something about keeping him as an impact player cos he's too raw to start games at the moment. Fair enough really. As long as he gets some minutes against Forest, i'll be happy.

Ah, didn't see that. Yeah I agree, he needs some minutes against Forest! Maybe put Vuckic on and rotate Marveaux, Obertan and him. I think Obertan would destroy them with his pace, so playing him off the striker might me a good decision.

Think Krul should play - dont see why a goalkeeper in his early 20s should need a rest and the more games he plays the better imo.

The possibility of Ferguson as a left back has to be investigated really.

Also think Sammy has done enough to deserve a start in this one.

I'd like to see Marveaux, Gosling and possibly Ba given a full 90 as well to help get them up to speed and see what they can do.

May as well have RTaylor at right back, and I'd like to see Ben Arfa get at least a half of football as well.

Maybe a bit of game time from the bench for Tavernier as well? The Carlisle manager seemed to think he'd cruised through League 1 level football, so might be worth giving him a match v Championship level opposition to see if theres any possibility at all that hes a better alternative than Perch.

Aside from that think we should look to play as strong a side as possible cos we should be looking to do something in this competition.

Think Krul should play - dont see why a goalkeeper in his early 20s should need a rest and the more games he plays the better imo.

The possibility of Ferguson as a left back has to be investigated really.

Also think Sammy has done enough to deserve a start in this one.

I'd like to see Marveaux, Gosling and possibly Ba given a full 90 as well to help get them up to speed and see what they can do.

May as well have RTaylor at right back, and I'd like to see Ben Arfa get at least a half of football as well.

Maybe a bit of game time from the bench for Tavernier as well? The Carlisle manager seemed to think he'd cruised through League 1 level football, so might be worth giving him a match v Championship level opposition to see if theres any possibility at all that hes a better alternative than Perch.

more give Elliot some game time and see what he can do

Can't really see how Harper is done tbh. Can't remember him making many mistakes last season, always seemed solid enough. Don't see how he has went from being 1st choice to 3rd choice in the space of a couple of months. The very little I've seen of Elliot, he doesn't look the best, extremely slow reactions.

I think Harper's done because he's getting nowhere near the team at the moment. Krul's miles ahead of him now in pretty much every area, and from murmurings earlier in the year, Harper's not prepared to travel the country just to sit on the bench. Sod ya, then. Happy to officially wave goodbye to the Given/Harper era now and officially look forward. And whilst he didn't make any glaring errors, there were situations like the Bolton home game where he took an age to get down to Sturridge's shot, etc. He's just not as good a goalkeeper any more.

His contract's up in 2013, but if we got any sort of offer for him next summer i'd let him go, let him play regularly somewhere in the Championship until he's finished. He'd agree to it if he had any sense. A good servant to the club, absolutely, but it's time for us to move on.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Can't really see how Harper is done tbh. Can't remember him making many mistakes last season, always seemed solid enough. Don't see how he has went from being 1st choice to 3rd choice in the space of a couple of months. The very little I've seen of Elliot, he doesn't look the best, extremely slow reactions.

He's 36 and on a worrying decline.