Forest 3 - 4 Newcastle (Carling Cup) - 20/09/11 - post-match reaction from p55

Dave

I feel cunted, got home at 2:45.

Game was decent, we always looked comfortable when we were ahead but contrived to throw it away three times somehow and nearly lost it at the end of the 90. Some of my judgements may be a bit harsh, need to see their goals again as they were all down the far end.

Elliott - 4 - thought he looked slow to react for the first one but didn't inspire any confidence in the slightest when defending set pieces, nowhere to be seen on any at our end including one they hit the bar from. Decent kicking though.

Simpson - 5 - poor first half, particularly distribution wise. Improved however, particularly going forward.

Coloccini - 7 - Great winner and dispossessed them classily a few times. Distribution not quite up to his normal standards however and whilst maybe not his fault will have been disappointed with how we struggled with straight long balls a few times.

Perch - 5 - Made a few very good challenges but looks a disaster waiting to happen, pretty sure the first goal stemmed from his missed header. Gave away possession around our area terrifyingly after about 10 minutes.

Fergie - 6 - Looked like a midfielder shoehorned in at left back but gave as good as he got until his knock and brought it out of defence a few times nicely. His pace came in handy once or twice too although struggled in the air.

Gosling - 5 - Not quite up to speed, few nice touches but lost possession a bit too easily at times

Abeid - 7 - Offers for the ball and moves it around nicely. Tired badly but to be expected. Gets stuck in to the challenge.

Guthrie - 7 - Overrun a little at times but some very nice passes and movement.

Marveaux - 8 - MOTM - classy. Great ball in for the first goal and touch to set up the pen. Looks a real player based on this short evidence.

Ben Arfa - 7 - not as involved as he'd like to have been at the front but was dropping deep for the ball and generally looked head and shoulders above when he had it. Exciting stuff.

Loven - 7 - Took his goals well and did much better than expected. Blowing out his arse by the time he came off.

Sammy - 8 - not great delivery but scared the shit out of them to the extent that they were always doubling up on him in extra time. Looks class, dribbling was awesome.

Obertan - 7 - wasted the ball a couple of times but looked good going forward and helped up counter nicely a few times. Great cross for the winner. Nominally filled in at LB once Fergie was injured, didn't stay back much :lol:

Shola - 6 - Shola

My opinions of the game...

Elliot - Fairly poor for two of the goals (the first one he should have saved really), but would release the ball quickly for a counter attack and didn't seem to let his head drop. Not sure I'd like to see him in a prem match just yet.

Simpson - Couldn't trap a bag of cement. Some really poor control from promising crosses to him that was quite annoyed. Scored with a lovely little cross that was never meant for the net.

Perch - Unimpressed really, not terrible but I never had confidence in him when he had the ball or went to clear it.

Coloccini - A collosal performance from him. Led by example, sorted out any mistakes he made and scored the winner.

Fergie - Played alright and seemed to link up fairly well down the left with Marv. In extra time he seemed to cramp up really bad and go moved to the middle of the pitch and swapped with Obertan. I don't think he's built for a full 90 just yet, always picks up little knocks.

Gosling - Fairly tidy, reasonably quiet. Made some nice touches and tackles but quite anonymous for the whole. Decent squad player it appears at this moment but not a starter.

Abheid - Looked very tidy and comfortable in possession. Didn't seem to tire and worked hard throughout. Some good potential there.

Marveaux - Looked very impressive. Direct, pacy and with some awesome tricks in his locker. Exciting.

Ben Arfa - A cut above on the whole. Had the Forest players constantly guessing and some of his vision and passing range was amazing. I think he'll be a bit hit and miss but when he's on form he'll be unstoppable.

Lovenkrands - Didn't do much apart from the 2 goals from what I could see. Got the goals that mattered so fair play to him but I'd like to see him coming in deep sometimes and trying to help out in the build up of goals rather than sitting on the shoulder and hoping.

SUBS

Sh. Ameobi - Offside too often. Wasn't terrible but I just wish he'd look down the fucking line. So frustrating.

Sa. Ameobi - Some excellent little runs, cut ins and moves. Always fighting and got some great pace. He's very raw, but one of my favourite up and comers. The crowd were loving him!

Obertan - Not bad, a very decent sub I'd say. He got moved to left back because Fergie lost the ability to track and run it appears from cramp and he did a decent enough job. I'd like to see him being more direct like Marv is but that final cross was inch perfect.

Pardew - Did well with his selection and subs really. No complaints.

Forest Players - Went down like sacks of shit. Annoying to watch. Gave a decent game.

Ref - Ridiculously biased in some instances, gave them something every time a player went down. Gave the penalty though which some refs wouldn't. Could have been stronger.

MsiDouglas Mark Douglas

'Just glad Tiote didn't play. We'd have been picking bodies up off the floor,' he said of his ex-Twente player. #nugc

1 hour ago Favorite Retweet Reply

MsiDouglas Mark Douglas

McClaren just picked out HBA & young Sammy Ameobi for particular praise. 'Alan is building a fine team,' he said. #nufc

1 hour ago

:lol:

Guest Roy the Irish Magpie

ameobi proved again how shit he is. Dunno about yous but i hate seen ameobii

on the pitch he's the worst striker in the league

Guest cr4igora

Did Gosling actually do anything yesterday? I NEVER heard his name in the commentary until he was subbed

The commentators on NUFC TV said something like he didn't even show up last night. Shame.

Since Sammy had a say in the final goal and Lovenkrands got two goals, does that mean Shola has now cemented his place as.... fifth choice striker? I bet he still gets a game on Saturday.