Forest 3 - 4 Newcastle (Carling Cup) - 20/09/11 - post-match reaction from p55

Dave

Didnt see the match tonight but reading the reports sounds like it was an absolute classic! Proper cup football between two clubs in my blood.

Delighted we won tonight and to read that Marveaux was outstanding providing pace and real quality down the left. Gosling and Abeid looking tidy and Guthrie showing his passing ability. Great that Ben Arfa had a good game tonight too.

Really shows that we have genuine competition for places in the team and quality on the bench.

I think Marveuax and Ben Arfa added to saturdays team in place of Obertan and Ba in a 4-2-3-1 is going to be pretty much our strongest possible 1st team. We should and could well expect to see us absolutely muller Rovers 3 or 4.

On a negative side....

No PL squad keeper should be conceding 3 against Championship teams.

Let's hope the players aren't as arrogant as you, eh?

Ridiculous thing to say.

:lol: Laughable.

@shane_fergie shane ferguson

what a game the night =)

1 minute ago

@henderson_jeff jeff henderson

Brilliant win for the lads tonight ... Brilliant to be on bench and be apart of it great experience!!!

51 minutes ago

Retweeted by PaulDummett and others

Guest VaVaVoom

Didnt see the match tonight but reading the reports sounds like it was an absolute classic! Proper cup football between two clubs in my blood.

Delighted we won tonight and to read that Marveaux was outstanding providing pace and real quality down the left. Gosling and Abeid looking tidy and Guthrie showing his passing ability. Great that Ben Arfa had a good game tonight too.

Really shows that we have genuine competition for places in the team and quality on the bench.

I think Marveuax and Ben Arfa added to saturdays team in place of Obertan and Ba in a 4-2-3-1 is going to be pretty much our strongest possible 1st team. We should and could well expect to see us absolutely muller Rovers 3 or 4.

On a negative side....

No PL squad keeper should be conceding 3 against Championship teams.

Let's hope the players aren't as arrogant as you, eh?

Ridiculous thing to say.

Ahh your not one of these negative miserable types too are you?

Seriously man. I dont mean to be disrespectful like but come on fella.

Forget what's gone on for a second and look at what we have NOW and how we are doing....NOW.

We have started the season very VERY well. 5 games unbeaten and sat in 4th, into the next round of the Carling Cup with our second team, our best player is back and in contention for Saturday. Our new signings are looking very good. Namely Cabaye and Mavreaux.

The team is coming together nicely and we are progressing on two fronts. What is there not to feel confident about?

Why should we not be thinking that we really should be battering Blackburn on Saturday? Its exactly the negative attitude that leads to us not getting results we should.

The boys should be absolutely bursting with confidence going into Blackburn.

Just the way i see it like. 

Don't know why anyone thinks we'll be battering teams when we are still struggling to score goals in the league despite the results. When we have strikers who can hit the net reliably over a consistent period of time then we can start feeling cocky.

what a game the night =)

1 minute ago

Brilliant win for the lads tonight ... Brilliant to be on bench and be apart of it great experience!!!

51 minutes ago

@Power_Ranger Nile Ranger

Got shot 8 times tonight, 1 to go brap brap brap

51 minutes ago via Gmobile

what a game the night =)

1 minute ago

51 minutes ago

@Power_Ranger Nile Ranger

Got shot 8 times tonight, 1 to go brap brap brap

51 minutes ago via Gmobile

You fucking wah? :lol: :lol:

Guest VaVaVoom

Why focus on whats happened in past? I just dont get that.

Records, Runs, bogey teams...bollocks man. Its about the here and now. We are looking strong and we should be looking to push on even further.

Why cant we expect that? Why not be confident and enjoy it?

No need for the overly harsh response neither you narrow-minded negative prick.

I cant see how i can be shot down for enjoying supporting my team and having faith in whats happening here and now. Its all good.

Does that offend you or something?

Why focus on whats happened in past? I just dont get that.

Records, Runs, bogey teams...bollocks man. Its about the here and now. We are looking strong and we should be looking to push on even further.

Why cant we expect that? Why not be confident and enjoy it?

No need for the overly harsh response neither you narrow-minded negative prick.

I cant see how i can be shot down for enjoying supporting my team and having faith in whats happening here and now. Its all good.

Does that offend you or something?

Play nice.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/cc_championship/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/09/20/SOCCER_Forest_Quotes.html&TEAMHD=nationwide1&BID=360

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew is hoping for a home draw in the Carling Cup after watching his side edge their way into the last 16 with a thrilling victory at Nottingham Forest.

Pardew's much-changed team - he fielded only two of the men who started Saturday's 1-1 Barclays Premier League draw at Aston Villa - took the lead on four occasions at the City Ground, but were pegged back three times as their npower Championship hosts made them fight all the way to the whistle.

Skipper Fabricio Coloccini eventually sealed the win in injury time at the end of extra-time to leave his manager dreaming of an extended run in the competition.

Pardew said: "It's a competition where we will be looked at as one of the possible teams who can win it, and we have got to believe that.

"We are looking for a home draw because we have had two tough away games.

"The first game might have been unglamorous, but to win here at the City Ground is always a good result, so hopefully [we will get] a home draw."

Peter Lovenkrands' 39th-minute header looked to have set the visitors on their way, but Robbie Findley levelled with a thunderbolt within seconds of the restart.

Lovenkrands struck from the penalty spot on the hour after the impressive Sylvain Marveaux had been dragged back, only for Matt Derbyshire to round debutant goalkeeper Rob Elliot after running on to Jonathan Greening's pass.

Danny Simpson looked to have secured victory when his 93rd-minute cross evaded goalkeeper Lee Camp, but it was left to Coloccini to complete the job in injury time at the end of the 120 minutes after Marcus Tudgay struck from close range.

Despite the drama, Pardew was able to reflect not only on a win which extended Newcastle's unbeaten start to the season to seven games, but an appearance from Hatem Ben Arfa after almost a year on the sidelines and excellent individual displays from Sylvain Marveaux and debutant Mehdi Abeid.

He said: "It was a funny game. When you make nine changes, you kind of know that the team is going to be slightly dysfunctional in some of its play.

"But within that team individually, my goodness, we had some outstanding performances tonight.

"We are unbeaten, we showed great spirit to come back again, get a knock-back, come back, knock-back, come back, knock-back and still get the winner.

"It was fitting that the captain should get it because I did think long and hard about playing him, and I'm glad I did now."

Opposite number Steve McClaren was understandably disappointed at the result having seen his players push the Magpies so hard, but delighted to have seen them restore pride after Saturday's home defeat by Derby.

He said: "The key thing tonight was restoring pride in the team. The fans wanted to see that and I think they got it, and they got it in abundance.

"It was a great response to what has been a very difficult few days, but sometimes, adversity like that is the making of a team and you have to go through it."

Meanwhile, Pardew revealed that full-back Davide Santon could return to full training next week after having fluid drained from his injured knee on Monday.

He said: "It was a little pea-sized amount of fluid, so there wasn't a lot of fluid on his knee.

"We think it's a really good response, but we are not going to rush him. He is going to run tomorrow, we think he is going to train at the weekend - he won't be involved in the [blackburn] game - and we are hoping on Monday that he is full training.

"If he breaks down in any of that period then we will make a decision on Wednesday on whether he has to have surgery.

"But at the moment we are very positive."

Just got in from the game lads - I'm from Nottingham so not a short trip at all. Sitting with the Forest fans though :(

Great game in the end, slow start but good seeing the lads never give up - so glad it didn't go to penalties! All in all pretty much the perfect game - lots of squad players getting run outs, debut for Mehdi Abeid (who looked very good - neat and tidy), entertaining game and a win. Oh, and did I mention the SAFE return of Ben Arfa!!!

Forest didn't actually play too bad - at 90 mins full time I would say they had shaded it slightly, in terms of chances. But wle were clinical up to that point. Extra time (particularly second half)  was ours - lots of back and forth - end to end. Coloccini is a legend. Nuff said.

Ben Arfa despite it being first game back looked a class apart, always making himself available for the ball and full of running and intricate passing. He will honestly make the hugest difference linking midfield and attack - it was obvious seeing what he will bring. Marveaux needs to start games now - he is so composed and does not waste the ball at all.

There were still a lot of hoofing the ball up to Lovenkrands, particularly first half. But the likes of Marveaux, Abeid, Ben Arfa, Guthrie, and later Ameobi, Obertan and Ferguson all used the short passing game to good effect. We are starting to look pretty good in parts, I must say.

Ratings

Elliot - 4  Have read that he has been criticised a bit - and imo its justified. Harper wouldn't have been as slow. I am a goalkeeper myself and defo think he was hesitant, slow and just very average. Did not inspire confidence for me.

Simpson - 7 Not his biggest fan but he actually played well. Some good runs forward. Was definitely a cross!

Coloccini - 8 What more can you say that hasn't  been said? Pure class, effortless - both defensively and bringing the ball out. Inspired leader, and scored at the perfect time. When behind you could visibly see Colo taking control and taking the ball forward.

Perch - 7 Controversial but he didn't actually do too bad. Thought he had one of his better games in fact (maybe its because my expectations are zero!). Did most things decently to be honest - although struggled on one of the goals. Still obviously not good enough but wasn't horrendous to be fair.

Ferguson - 6.5 Looks like a boy - Forest fans were giving him a bit of abuse behind  me! Left a few gaps at the back in extra time, and didn't go on too many of his marauding runs he is capable of, but solid first game back. Good option on the left, won't let anyone down.

Gosling - 6 Quiet I thought - right to be substituted. Will get better I am sure.

Guthrie - 7 Ticked things over well - good passing range on show. Had a good run forward in extra time - didn't think he had the stamina for it to be honest!

Abeid - 7 very promising debut - some wayward passes but all in all a tidy game - kept it simple and did what he was supposed to. Good, mobile back up to Tiote.

Marveaux - 8.5 Quality player. Involved in a lot, excellent link up play, good crosser, controlling the ball, not wasteful, productive. A good find indeed. He will get better with time - I look forward to seeing him in the same midfield as Cabaye and Ben Arfa!

Ben Arfa - 7.5 Very solid first game back. Involved very heavily for the time he was on - wanted the ball and went on some good runs. Probably needs to work on his strength a little as wsn't able to hold off some of the people tracking him as he usually does. But this will come in time - good incisive passer and makes things happen.

Lovenkrands - 8 Did well - good leap for the header. Chased tirelessly, ball was being hoofed to him but he tried to knock it on. Penalty I was worried about but did the job.

Subs -

Obertan - 7.5 Much better as a sub in my opinion, running at tired legs. He beat his man a few more times than usual today, but most of his crossing was still low and hard, and got cleared easy. Played well overall though, good link up with Sammy, and peach of a cross for the winner.

Shola - 5 Same - always offside. Had one decent chance at the end but over the bar. Quiet and anonymous otherwise.

Sammy - 8 Very direct and full of running, another who makes things happen. He is deceptively quick, excellent feet and did well.

Pardew got his subs spot on - except Shola of course...

Overall a good game, glad I went down!! Seeing Ben Arfa happy, smiling and so close (the crowd at Forest is very close to the pitch) so at one point he was literally only a few metres from me!!

Well done the lads - I look forward to coming up and seeing another game at St James' soon!!

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/cc_championship/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/09/20/SOCCER_Forest_Quotes.html&TEAMHD=nationwide1&BID=360

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew is hoping for a home draw in the Carling Cup after watching his side edge their way into the last 16 with a thrilling victory at Nottingham Forest.

Pardew's much-changed team - he fielded only two of the men who started Saturday's 1-1 Barclays Premier League draw at Aston Villa - took the lead on four occasions at the City Ground, but were pegged back three times as their npower Championship hosts made them fight all the way to the whistle.

Skipper Fabricio Coloccini eventually sealed the win in injury time at the end of extra-time to leave his manager dreaming of an extended run in the competition.

Pardew said: "It's a competition where we will be looked at as one of the possible teams who can win it, and we have got to believe that.

"We are looking for a home draw because we have had two tough away games.

"The first game might have been unglamorous, but to win here at the City Ground is always a good result, so hopefully [we will get] a home draw."

Peter Lovenkrands' 39th-minute header looked to have set the visitors on their way, but Robbie Findley levelled with a thunderbolt within seconds of the restart.

Lovenkrands struck from the penalty spot on the hour after the impressive Sylvain Marveaux had been dragged back, only for Matt Derbyshire to round debutant goalkeeper Rob Elliot after running on to Jonathan Greening's pass.

Danny Simpson looked to have secured victory when his 93rd-minute cross evaded goalkeeper Lee Camp, but it was left to Coloccini to complete the job in injury time at the end of the 120 minutes after Marcus Tudgay struck from close range.

Despite the drama, Pardew was able to reflect not only on a win which extended Newcastle's unbeaten start to the season to seven games, but an appearance from Hatem Ben Arfa after almost a year on the sidelines and excellent individual displays from Sylvain Marveaux and debutant Mehdi Abeid.

He said: "It was a funny game. When you make nine changes, you kind of know that the team is going to be slightly dysfunctional in some of its play.

"But within that team individually, my goodness, we had some outstanding performances tonight.

"We are unbeaten, we showed great spirit to come back again, get a knock-back, come back, knock-back, come back, knock-back and still get the winner.

"It was fitting that the captain should get it because I did think long and hard about playing him, and I'm glad I did now."

Opposite number Steve McClaren was understandably disappointed at the result having seen his players push the Magpies so hard, but delighted to have seen them restore pride after Saturday's home defeat by Derby.

He said: "The key thing tonight was restoring pride in the team. The fans wanted to see that and I think they got it, and they got it in abundance.

"It was a great response to what has been a very difficult few days, but sometimes, adversity like that is the making of a team and you have to go through it."

Meanwhile, Pardew revealed that full-back Davide Santon could return to full training next week after having fluid drained from his injured knee on Monday.

He said: "It was a little pea-sized amount of fluid, so there wasn't a lot of fluid on his knee.

"We think it's a really good response, but we are not going to rush him. He is going to run tomorrow, we think he is going to train at the weekend - he won't be involved in the [blackburn] game - and we are hoping on Monday that he is full training.

"If he breaks down in any of that period then we will make a decision on Wednesday on whether he has to have surgery.

"But at the moment we are very positive."

:thup:

Just got in from the game lads - I'm from Nottingham so not a short trip at all. Sitting with the Forest fans though :(

Great game in the end, slow start but good seeing the lads never give up - so glad it didn't go to penalties! All in all pretty much the perfect game - lots of squad players getting run outs, debut for Mehdi Abeid (who looked very good - neat and tidy), entertaining game and a win. Oh, and did I mention the SAFE return of Ben Arfa!!!

Forest didn't actually play too bad - at 90 mins full time I would say they had shaded it slightly, in terms of chances. But wle were clinical up to that point. Extra time (particularly second half)  was ours - lots of back and forth - end to end. Coloccini is a legend. Nuff said.

Ben Arfa despite it being first game back looked a class apart, always making himself available for the ball and full of running and intricate passing. He will honestly make the hugest difference linking midfield and attack - it was obvious seeing what he will bring. Marveaux needs to start games now - he is so composed and does not waste the ball at all.

There were still a lot of hoofing the ball up to Lovenkrands, particularly first half. But the likes of Marveaux, Abeid, Ben Arfa, Guthrie, and later Ameobi, Obertan and Ferguson all used the short passing game to good effect. We are starting to look pretty good in parts, I must say.

Ratings

Elliot - 4  Have read that he has been criticised a bit - and imo its justified. Harper wouldn't have been as slow. I am a goalkeeper myself and defo think he was hesitant, slow and just very average. Did not inspire confidence for me.

Simpson - 7 Not his biggest fan but he actually played well. Some good runs forward. Was definitely a cross!

Coloccini - 8 What more can you say that hasn't  been said? Pure class, effortless - both defensively and bringing the ball out. Inspired leader, and scored at the perfect time. When behind you could visibly see Colo taking control and taking the ball forward.

Perch - 7 Controversial but he didn't actually do too bad. Thought he had one of his better games in fact (maybe its because my expectations are zero!). Did most things decently to be honest - although struggled on one of the goals. Still obviously not good enough but wasn't horrendous to be fair.

Ferguson - 6.5 Looks like a boy - Forest fans were giving him a bit of abuse behind  me! Left a few gaps at the back in extra time, and didn't go on too many of his marauding runs he is capable of, but solid first game back. Good option on the left, won't let anyone down.

Gosling - 6 Quiet I thought - right to be substituted. Will get better I am sure.

Guthrie - 7 Ticked things over well - good passing range on show. Had a good run forward in extra time - didn't think he had the stamina for it to be honest!

Abeid - 7 very promising debut - some wayward passes but all in all a tidy game - kept it simple and did what he was supposed to. Good, mobile back up to Tiote.

Marveaux - 8.5 Quality player. Involved in a lot, excellent link up play, good crosser, controlling the ball, not wasteful, productive. A good find indeed. He will get better with time - I look forward to seeing him in the same midfield as Cabaye and Ben Arfa!

Ben Arfa - 7.5 Very solid first game back. Involved very heavily for the time he was on - wanted the ball and went on some good runs. Probably needs to work on his strength a little as wsn't able to hold off some of the people tracking him as he usually does. But this will come in time - good incisive passer and makes things happen.

Lovenkrands - 8 Did well - good leap for the header. Chased tirelessly, ball was being hoofed to him but he tried to knock it on. Penalty I was worried about but did the job.

Subs -

Obertan - 7.5 Much better as a sub in my opinion, running at tired legs. He beat his man a few more times than usual today, but most of his crossing was still low and hard, and got cleared easy. Played well overall though, good link up with Sammy, and peach of a cross for the winner.

Shola - 5 Same - always offside. Had one decent chance at the end but over the bar. Quiet and anonymous otherwise.

Sammy - 8 Very direct and full of running, another who makes things happen. He is deceptively quick, excellent feet and did well.

Pardew got his subs spot on - except Shola of course...

Overall a good game, glad I went down!! Seeing Ben Arfa happy, smiling and so close (the crowd at Forest is very close to the pitch) so at one point he was literally only a few metres from me!!

Well done the lads - I look forward to coming up and seeing another game at St James' soon!!

:thup: Thanks for that.