Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

A friend at work was talking to Brendan Foster a few days ago and apparently he has a bet with MA that NUFC never win the Premiership... And it was MA on the side of the bet insisting they won't! Sums up the clubs philosophy in a nutshell...

A friend at work was talking to Brendan Foster a few days ago and apparently he has a bet with MA that NUFC never win the Premiership... And it was MA on the side of the bet insisting they won't! Sums up the clubs philosophy in a nutshell...

Quite an easy bet to accept really.  :lol: :lol:

It is... But joking aside to do it just sums up the mindset...

It is... But joking aside to do it just sums up the mindset...

Its a stupid bet, You'd have to pump millions of pounds into the club just to get close to winning the league...Nufc on its own cant do it and Ashley wont stump up the dosh.  Pretty safe bet for a sensible person to take.  :lol: :lol:

So, general consensus is that he's not gonna sell unless he gets all his money back and then some.  I've read an article by Happy Face (Chris Holt) on the mag that suggests MA might be reAdy to start investing more in coaching/playing staff if/when he gets rid of pardew. This is based on purely his net spend on transfers since relegation,rising slowly.  It also suggests he would take a back seat and let the club run autonomously now that it's making a profit.

I think this theory has legs as that's what I believe he initially signed up for and put Chris Moat in charge.  This obviously failed due to his lack of due diligence and we've been paying for it ever since!  I think be realised he made a massive mistake and felt he had to take charge himself to get the club back on a level footing.  If he thinks he's done that then this could be the time where he steps back and let's the club be run as sporting institution rather than a buissness.  He could still turn a profit and advertise within reason while the club are able to compete to their potential.

Do you think this is realistic? Or am I being too optimistic? Would you be happy if this came to pass?

ps I'm not an Ashly sympathiser btw.  My ideal scenario would for the club to be owned by the supporters.  Not ever likely to happen though.

I think it's unrealistic. He will continue to cream off tens of millions of what is basically free cash every season we're in the Prem. He will continue to have his shitty brands all over the place and pay nothing for the privilege using the £129m 'loan' he owes himself. He could have paid this off with two years' of TV money but he never will.

For a look at Newcastle's immediate future, have a look at the current home and away shirts for this season. Poor quality and very thin materials, very basic in construction, the continuation of the insulting sponsor and, of course, the stick-on crest. Puma gives clients a list of variables for the construction of a shirt, and Jabba has picked the cheapest option in each case to maximise retail margin.

He's going nowhere, and 17th is just fine for him.

Fair point, think I'm just clutching at straws because supporting us at the minute just seems utterly pointless!

Like Atletico Madrid?... :lol:

I know it's a silly bet... Just sad really how NUFC are and I dare say football is... He went on to say MA was a knob apparently but I guess that bit we also safely assumed anyway :lol:

Surely making a bet like that with the current owner, you'd have to know his intention was to sell up. Here's hoping anyway :bluestar:

So, general consensus is that he's not gonna sell unless he gets all his money back and then some.  I've read an article by Happy Face (Chris Holt) on the mag that suggests MA might be reAdy to start investing more in coaching/playing staff if/when he gets rid of pardew. This is based on purely his net spend on transfers since relegation,rising slowly.  It also suggests he would take a back seat and let the club run autonomously now that it's making a profit.

I think this theory has legs as that's what I believe he initially signed up for and put Chris Moat in charge.  This obviously failed due to his lack of due diligence and we've been paying for it ever since!  I think be realised he made a massive mistake and felt he had to take charge himself to get the club back on a level footing.  If he thinks he's done that then this could be the time where he steps back and let's the club be run as sporting institution rather than a buissness.  He could still turn a profit and advertise within reason while the club are able to compete to their potential.

Do you think this is realistic? Or am I being too optimistic? Would you be happy if this came to pass?

ps I'm not an Ashly sympathiser btw.  My ideal scenario would for the club to be owned by the supporters.  Not ever likely to happen though.

I think it's unrealistic. He will continue to cream off tens of millions of what is basically free cash every season we're in the Prem. He will continue to have his shitty brands all over the place and pay nothing for the privilege using the £129m 'loan' he owes himself. He could have paid this off with two years' of TV money but he never will.

For a look at Newcastle's immediate future, have a look at the current home and away shirts for this season. Poor quality and very thin materials, very basic in construction, the continuation of the insulting sponsor and, of course, the stick-on crest. Puma gives clients a list of variables for the construction of a shirt, and Jabba has picked the cheapest option in each case to maximise retail margin.

He's going nowhere, and 17th is just fine for him.

Fair point, think I'm just clutching at straws because supporting us at the minute just seems utterly pointless!

Sadly, it is pointless. I racked in my season ticket in the summer as I couldn't take any more - like thousands of others, I'd actually begun to dread going because the football and atmosphere were so poor. The highlight for me last season was the Cardiff game and the vitriolic atmosphere.

I bought a single ticket for the Hull game as I think we'll see a repeat of the Cardiff abuse, especially after Southampton hand us our arses a week Saturday.

It's a sad indictment and ultimately I want his rather hefty shadow nowhere near SJP, but we can enjoy a modicum of success if the right man is in the dugout. If he set the management team out right, even with the financial constraints he implies on the club we could enjoy watching again, maybe even look at a cup. The clubs stance is that the premiership is more important than the cups, that doesn't mean an assault on one of the cups wouldn't be acceptable if we were comfortable in the league. It's just a good excuse for Pardew not being very good at his job, drop out of the cups like a lead weight and blame the clubs philosophy, easy win, or loss.

Why does he even bother turning up to St James when he knows how shit the football is going to be? It kind of suggests that there's a miniscule level of interest in the football itself. He wouldn't even have to do that much to make a shit load of money out of the club but spend a minimal amount (in comparison to tv money, player sales etc) on players and install a decent manager.

Aye, cracking post. Yeah, lots of its and buts but I think it's pretty easy to suss Ashley and his whole game. That being said, I think he has the potential to be quite reactionary, and if, through some miraculous turn of events, Pardew is replaced by a proper manager - Ashley could be reconvinced that pushing for something might be worth it.

I've said this before but I do believe there's a parallel universe where we are supportable with Mike Ashley here. It's a stretch but I see Ashley as someone who is quite impressionable when it comes to football, cos he doesn't get the sport. If a manager could show him that Champions League football was a reachable goal - which it fucking is - Mike would see them dollar signs again.

Pardew has to go, though. Simply won't happen with him here.

Ashley's still a twunt, mind.

Why does he even bother turning up to St James when he knows how shit the football is going to be? It kind of suggests that there's a miniscule level of interest in the football itself. He wouldn't even have to do that much to make a shit load of money out of the club but spend a minimal amount (in comparison to tv money, player sales etc) on players and install a decent manager.

I wonder this as well. If his interest/ambition is what we assume, why not just not bother at all and get someone to tell him the league position in May? Like Yorkie says, I think he might take interest under different circumstances.

Guest northshieldsmag

The way I see it:

He wanted a well supported, top tier football club to use to market his shitty SD brand. John Hall's quotes also state his intention. No real problems with that if it's done appropriately, which it f***ing hasn't been. He subsequently has his fingers burnt thinking he had a bargain and ended up with a debt laden club. His own f***ing fault for not doing due diligence. The guy had some fun enjoying his new toy, throwing an NUFC shirt on and watching games in the stadium. Sacked the buffoon Allardyce and, as far as I can sort of guess, used KK to put a good front on the club, get fans on board, etc.

Sackings, relegation, questionable (at best) hiring policy of manager and staff, constant changing strategy of the club, fallen through sale of the club and all that s*** later, and we're no further forward as a sporting institution; we've went backwards considerably. If you've been burdened with an asset where you're neither wholly liked or supported by your customer and client base, you have no real interest in said asset either now or in the first place, you're only ever left with 2 choices: make money from it or sell it on. His hide is too f***ing thick to be bullied into selling on the back of small sections of fan pressure, not helped by the number of Wonga-mongs who happily pay out the nose to put up with the s**** served every week.

I fear if we got relegated this season, he would simply either downsize the whole operation so that we could still float in the championship, or perhaps take the risk and keep some money in the club to try and gain promotion at the first attempt again. I can't foresee him trying to get rid of the club and make a huge loss in the eyes of the business world, nor throw money at a fallen horse. We'd probably end up with kit made by a subsidiary of SD, sponsored by SD or any other highest bidder, and cutting operating costs if we stayed down there. This way he would at least still 'be up' with the SD exposure and avoid making big losses. He'd have his shitty manager in place working for buttons and a squad of young 'talent' to either get back up to the PL or sell for higher fees. Rinse and repeat perhaps.

Providing we float around in the PL, I'm pretty sure now that he's complacent enough with the linked success to SD, minimal outlay and recuperation of his losses via the TV money. Everything here is in place to achieve the 'bare minimum' (17th-8th) with the carrot of long contracts to ensure that it stays this way or goes elsewhere for bigger compensation - staff, players, kit manufacturer, everything. It's cheap, no frills and here to stay for a while. A recipe for sustained shitness, yet keeps the banknotes rolling in. If Pardew ever looks to be in serious, real danger of relegation, I wouldn't be surprised to see him replaced early enough to avoid it happening. Last season didn't warrant it from that perspective as we were in no danger of going down post-Christmas.

The other option? Sell the club. Unsurprisingly, people in the city seem reluctant to deal with this prick despite his success, and only those desperate enough jump in knowing now the potential consequences. He'll want top whack for this club, or at the very very least what he's spent on it, and providing a sugar daddy with a connection comes into play (as previously mentioned, and again unlikely) then I can't see this happening for a while now.

I think sporting companies, investors and individuals who look at the PL know now that the ship has sailed to break into the top 4 and make the big money via the CL without significant and smart investment; Lerner has had enough, Short may be trying to flog or streamline the mackems, the bloke at Hull is desperate to change the name in belief it'll attract foreign support/investment. Khan and Tan at Fulham and Cardiff respectively have both went down and their goal now must surely to stick around in the top flight gravy train to get the money coming back in.

Despite being marketed as the biggest league in the world (:anguish:) the only hope for any club outside the top 5-6 realistically is to win a domestic trophy, again now seemingly not worth much in the eyes of some of the higher powers in football clubs, or to retain the status as a PL club. I really have to give it to Everton for working with what they have and still really trying to go for it with the right people in the right positions there. They might be skint in comparison to other clubs, but f*** me, at least they have ambition.

The whole thing is f***ing tragic because we weren't far in peoples minds of being a 'European' club 7 years ago. We weren't that far from consolidating our position as a top 4-6 club in this country despite the Souness and Roeder debacle. He could have invested quite heavily initially and potentially had us there. He could have put in, as Kanji has mentioned, a fraction of his worth into the club year on year on top of the money it generated/generates and had his SD s**** all over the f***ing place. People wouldn't have blinked had he been a seemingly decent bloke about the whole affair and had the fans interests at the forefront of his business strategy - played his cards right and he could have had SD across Europe, across many more shirt and merchandise sales worldwide; it's not too difficult to see how success can go hand in hand with other business successes.

And now? We're a floating turd of a club, with a fraud, rotten f***ing manager, seemingly incompetent staff and a share of players here for the stepping stone experience. They have turned this club into a small time, tacky embarrassment of it's former self, quite an achievement to follow on from Shepard in that fashion. I digress..

I can't see him selling unless the gravy train dries up or we're ever in a position where the club is draining his resources considerably and it's scrapped for as much as he could get back (back to back relegation perhaps?). He may use NUFC as a makeweight in another deal, but at the end of the day it'll be for his own gain and interests and never ours.

Lots of 'ifs and buts', I know..

Stunning! :clap:

Its also stunning so many people have took so long to suss out this tosser

I still think Pardew is the ultimate expression of his limitation of Newcastle United. We're signing better players than we did during his predecessor and in the first tages of his tenure, the squad has repeatedly been filled with players that are moving upwards for the past 3-4 years.

Regarding the Sports Direct affiliation and destruction of values at the club, they'd be easier to disregard if events on the pitch weren't an expression of everything that's wrong. Pardew is the reason for this, as he's not only the club's spokesman who's spelling this to us all the time, but also the artist that creates and illustrates what's wrong with Ashley's NUFC once a week. There's a team capable of something being played every week, but undeniably held back and harmed by the ultimate expression of Ashley's non-existant sporting ambitions. I'd find it possible to enjoy supporting the club if Pardew's Ashley-related excursions didn't occur.

The way I see it:

He wanted a well supported, top tier football club to use to market his shitty SD brand. John Hall's quotes also state his intention. No real problems with that if it's done appropriately, which it f***ing hasn't been. He subsequently has his fingers burnt thinking he had a bargain and ended up with a debt laden club. His own f***ing fault for not doing due diligence. The guy had some fun enjoying his new toy, throwing an NUFC shirt on and watching games in the stadium. Sacked the buffoon Allardyce and, as far as I can sort of guess, used KK to put a good front on the club, get fans on board, etc.

Sackings, relegation, questionable (at best) hiring policy of manager and staff, constant changing strategy of the club, fallen through sale of the club and all that s*** later, and we're no further forward as a sporting institution; we've went backwards considerably. If you've been burdened with an asset where you're neither wholly liked or supported by your customer and client base, you have no real interest in said asset either now or in the first place, you're only ever left with 2 choices: make money from it or sell it on. His hide is too f***ing thick to be bullied into selling on the back of small sections of fan pressure, not helped by the number of Wonga-mongs who happily pay out the nose to put up with the s**** served every week.

I fear if we got relegated this season, he would simply either downsize the whole operation so that we could still float in the championship, or perhaps take the risk and keep some money in the club to try and gain promotion at the first attempt again. I can't foresee him trying to get rid of the club and make a huge loss in the eyes of the business world, nor throw money at a fallen horse. We'd probably end up with kit made by a subsidiary of SD, sponsored by SD or any other highest bidder, and cutting operating costs if we stayed down there. This way he would at least still 'be up' with the SD exposure and avoid making big losses. He'd have his shitty manager in place working for buttons and a squad of young 'talent' to either get back up to the PL or sell for higher fees. Rinse and repeat perhaps.

Providing we float around in the PL, I'm pretty sure now that he's complacent enough with the linked success to SD, minimal outlay and recuperation of his losses via the TV money. Everything here is in place to achieve the 'bare minimum' (17th-8th) with the carrot of long contracts to ensure that it stays this way or goes elsewhere for bigger compensation - staff, players, kit manufacturer, everything. It's cheap, no frills and here to stay for a while. A recipe for sustained shitness, yet keeps the banknotes rolling in. If Pardew ever looks to be in serious, real danger of relegation, I wouldn't be surprised to see him replaced early enough to avoid it happening. Last season didn't warrant it from that perspective as we were in no danger of going down post-Christmas.

The other option? Sell the club. Unsurprisingly, people in the city seem reluctant to deal with this prick despite his success, and only those desperate enough jump in knowing now the potential consequences. He'll want top whack for this club, or at the very very least what he's spent on it, and providing a sugar daddy with a connection comes into play (as previously mentioned, and again unlikely) then I can't see this happening for a while now.

I think sporting companies, investors and individuals who look at the PL know now that the ship has sailed to break into the top 4 and make the big money via the CL without significant and smart investment; Lerner has had enough, Short may be trying to flog or streamline the mackems, the bloke at Hull is desperate to change the name in belief it'll attract foreign support/investment. Khan and Tan at Fulham and Cardiff respectively have both went down and their goal now must surely to stick around in the top flight gravy train to get the money coming back in.

Despite being marketed as the biggest league in the world (:anguish:) the only hope for any club outside the top 5-6 realistically is to win a domestic trophy, again now seemingly not worth much in the eyes of some of the higher powers in football clubs, or to retain the status as a PL club. I really have to give it to Everton for working with what they have and still really trying to go for it with the right people in the right positions there. They might be skint in comparison to other clubs, but f*** me, at least they have ambition.

The whole thing is f***ing tragic because we weren't far in peoples minds of being a 'European' club 7 years ago. We weren't that far from consolidating our position as a top 4-6 club in this country despite the Souness and Roeder debacle. He could have invested quite heavily initially and potentially had us there. He could have put in, as Kanji has mentioned, a fraction of his worth into the club year on year on top of the money it generated/generates and had his SD s**** all over the f***ing place. People wouldn't have blinked had he been a seemingly decent bloke about the whole affair and had the fans interests at the forefront of his business strategy - played his cards right and he could have had SD across Europe, across many more shirt and merchandise sales worldwide; it's not too difficult to see how success can go hand in hand with other business successes.

And now? We're a floating turd of a club, with a fraud, rotten f***ing manager, seemingly incompetent staff and a share of players here for the stepping stone experience. They have turned this club into a small time, tacky embarrassment of it's former self, quite an achievement to follow on from Shepard in that fashion. I digress..

I can't see him selling unless the gravy train dries up or we're ever in a position where the club is draining his resources considerably and it's scrapped for as much as he could get back (back to back relegation perhaps?). He may use NUFC as a makeweight in another deal, but at the end of the day it'll be for his own gain and interests and never ours.

Lots of 'ifs and buts', I know..

Stunning! :clap:

Its also stunning so many people have took so long to suss out this tosser

I agree that the quote IS stunning and absolutely on the mark about Ashley and where NUFC are now...anyone with 2 brain cells should have realized what Ashley was about when he stitched up KK by sneaking Wise and his 2 amigos in over Keegan's head...especially once KK won the Constructive Dismissal court case despite Ashley's millions being used to launch a counter action of Contract Breach which failed.

The club IS in a disastrous position if you are one of the dwindling band of fans who want the club to achieve something..this is long overdue but is unlikely to be put right under this regime.

Unfortunately there are enough myopic idiots who are just happy to turn up week in week out to make up the numbers and these people would probably do the same thing even if the club became a Championship regular.

If all this gets on your t-ts, it would be better to either take up watching minor football or find a better hobby...you'll just get permanent grief and resentment otherwise.

He wanted a well supported, top tier football club to use to market his shitty SD brand.

still doesn't sit right with me with tbh, all this plastering everything in Sports Direct bollocks, renaming the ground and so on didn't start until after we were relegated and came back up did it?

so it took from june 2007, through relegation and promotion and to at least the start of the 2010-2011 season for them to really kick into gear and start using the club as an advertising vehicle?

i might be off with some of that but it's always felt to me that at some point ashley and his band of cunts decided that as they were stuck with the club long-term they'd run it on fumes and use it to advertise the shops, rather than this being the goal from the outset

CL rules are very strict about advertising and there are the core 8 sponsors that can be shown at grounds (Sony, Mastercard etc..)..Hence he has no interest in developing the club into this arena. He wouldn't be able to advertise SD during CL matches..So in his eyes why should he bother?

A lot would change if the PL took onboard the German model of club ownership. But it turns out the PL don't give a flying fuck about supporters. Football on many levels is finished.