Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

She's going to buy the club and then make it worse, isn't she. :lol:

Is this a "careful what you wish for" ?

It really might be.

While to date this has been little more than the regular "journalists feed off social media, journalists write vague story, story sends social media into frenzy" type cycle, analyse what little facts there are.

She is a wealth fund manager, not a buyer in her own right. Wealth fund managers are paid to grow funds through various forms of investment. They will only invest in a PL club if they see a way of returning growth.

If anything were to happen in this case it's more likely a conservative acquisition of a share of the business, rather than a full takeover, and not some sugar daddy looking to bank roll a load of signings to chase success on the playing field.

However, if she is acting directly on behalf of a rich friend, rather than the fund she manages, a very different outcome could be possible.

It really might be.

While to date this has been little more than the regular "journalists feed off social media, journalists write vague story, story sends social media into frenzy" type cycle, analyse what little facts there are.

She is a wealth fund manager, not a buyer in her own right. Wealth fund managers are paid to grow funds through various forms of investment. They will only invest in a PL club if they see a way of returning growth.

If anything were to happen in this case it's more likely a conservative acquisition of a share of the business, rather than a full takeover, and not some sugar daddy looking to bank roll a load of signings to chase success on the playing field.

However, if she is acting directly on behalf of a rich friend, rather than the fund she manages, a very different outcome could be possible.

Very hard to imagine anyone being worse than Ashley though, sure it's possible but not likely. It's like when Pardew left, "who next?" was secondary, it felt good as it signalised change.

This may all change if the HMRC case goes wrong, there is a decision today on whether or not the warrants were legal i.e. whether HMRC had sufficient evidence to suggest there is a tax fraud case to answer and therefore enter NUFC premises and seize documents. 

If this goes against us I suspect we might be in limbo for a while

This may all change if the HMRC case goes wrong, there is a decision today on whether or not the warrants were legal i.e. whether HMRC had sufficient evidence to suggest there is a tax fraud case to answer and therefore enter NUFC premises and seize documents. 

I was under the impression there was nothing wrong, and we filed a complaint because of the way this was handled på HMRC?

Or am i mistaken?

It really might be.

From a business POV, I would have thought the attraction of Newcastle as a club would be that the brand has been undermined by pitching at the low end of the market when all the serious money is at the top. So you would think there's a lot of untapped potential there if you did want to run it like a proper franchise. Isn't that why Rafa is now considered a major asset whereas previously we'd go for John Carver?

Would rather take any risks associated with being taken over than be stuck with Ashley.

I genuinely cannot believe that anyone wouldn't after 10 years of having the passion sucked out of us! Well, eight and half until Rafa rolled up!

I was under the impression there was nothing wrong, and we filed a complaint because of the way this was handled på HMRC?

Or am i mistaken?

I think you are mistaken as HMRC have not examined any of the documents yet due to the appeal against seizure.  If it goes against us today and therefore there is a case to answer, the subsequent examination of the records and evidence will determine our guilt or otherwise

Or am i mistaken?

I think you are mistaken as HMRC have not examined any of the documents yet due to the appeal against seizure.  If it goes against us today and therefore there is a case to answer, the subsequent examination of the records and evidence will determine our guilt or otherwise

Ok, cheers  O0

We're a total no-brainer for an investor right now - commercial revenue not even close to being maximised, world class manager in place and seemingly committed to us long-term if the conditions are right, united fan base, global recognition despite being shit for 10 years and one of the league's best stadiums. I can't think of another club in the league that has as much immediate potential as we do.

If this Staveley MILF is looking at other options they will be lesser options. The only thing that might stand in their favour is that they will probably be less problematic to acquire.

http://www.arabnews.com/node/1171891/sports 

DUBAI: Amanda Staveley, the financial entrepreneur who made her name in Middle East investment, could use Arabian Gulf money in a possible takeover of English football club Newcastle United.

She is said to be interested in the club in the northeast of England, believing it shares similar characteristics to Manchester City, which she helped Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al-Nahyan of the UAE buy in 2008 for £210 million ($278 million), and which has since risen to the top of the English Premier League (EPL), helped by a big injection of Gulf cash.

A source close to Staveley told Arab News that her interest in Newcastle was at an early stage, that there had been no talks yet with Mike Ashley, the current owner, and that she was still interested in other clubs in the EPL.

But it was also indicated that a deal could be done relatively quickly, if serious talks got underway, possibly by the end of the year.

Staveley attended a football match in Newcastle last weekend as the guest of Rafa Benitez, the manager, signaling her interest in a possible takeover of the club. Ashley has said on several occasions that he would be a willing seller of Newcastle, which he has owned since 2007, at the right price.

Like Manchester City, Newcastle is a traditionally strong footballing brand in a city that is enthusiastic about the game.

Unlike the City deal, however, in which Staveley acted as an adviser to Sheikh Mansour, she would be the principal investor in Newcastle, via her firm PCP Capital Partners. Any bid would be backed by funds from her extensive network of contacts in the Middle East, Asia and elsewhere.

Globally PCP has $37 billion of assets under management, with Staveley acting for big Gulf investors in London real estate and other assets, as well as for wealthy Chinese investors.

Any discussions between Staveley and Ashley are likely to focus on price. Ashley is said to have spent £300 million on the club in the 10 years he has owned it, so any deal would probably have to start at that price.

Staveley was earlier this year linked with a much bigger deal for Liverpool Football Club, where she was marginally involved in an abortive takeover by Dubai investors in 2007. She was also said to be interested in doing a deal with Tottenham Hotspur, the north London club.

She told Arab News in June that she saw English football as an “attractive investment,” but is believed to have grown interested in Newcastle since then. A source said that there were five clubs that she was analyzing from a financial point of view.

The identity of Middle East investors to help fund Staveley’s possible bid is not yet known. She has extensive connections in the UAE and Qatar, and has also been looking increasingly at Saudi Arabia, where she said she saw big investment opportunities on the back of the Vision 2030 transformation strategy.

English football, and the EPL in particular, has become increasingly attractive to global investors thanks to the billions of dollars paid to clubs for broadcasting rights, which in turn leads to higher worldwide TV audiences and advertising sponsorships.

Guest firetotheworks

I know £28b has been mentioned as the amount that she manages, but does anyone know what actual wealth she's likely to have at her disposal?