Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

That's true but if asset strippers bought NUFC for £200m they could sell all the assets, pocket the TV money then they'd have made more than the £200m it cost to buy.

Clubs get paid TV money in stages don't they?  If they sold everything over night they wouldn't get any further TV money payments.  Also to sell that quick they'd have to sell at a small fraction of market value.  If instead they sold over the season (which they'd need to to get the kind of money you're talking about) then they'd have to spend significant amounts of money on running costs (including about £70m+ on wages for the year).

Don't get me wrong like, that "expert" talking about what the club is worth is talking utter bollocks, just saying that I don't think asset stripping would work in Football.

Just read that article, is he possibly looking at any potential £380m deal as exclusive of debt?  As in he's saying the club is worth about £190m-£200m because there's about £200m of debt left to pay after you buy. So paying £380m for a club that will have £200m debt would be over the odds (total of £580m).

That's the only way I can make sense of his opinion.  Because if he's saying that Newcastle United, free of Ashley's debt, is worth only £190-£200m he's not an expert, he's a moron.

I don't know.  In business world an assets value is closely related to the net profit generated each year.  A very basic calculation would be net profit per year / expected return rate.

But football club seems not running for net profits, isn't it?

I suppose one thing to cling and clutching a little bit here, is that the club haven't come out and issued a "this is not true" or "there has been no official approach".  Unless Ashley is playing the long scam with nufc fans for laughs.

I suppose one thing to cling and clutching a little bit here, is that the club haven't come out and issued a "this is not true" or "there has been no official approach".  Unless Ashley is playing the long scam with nufc fans for laughs.

Nailed it with that bit for me.

According to this article only a couple of Premiership clubs made a big profit last year, a few made a profit of around £3m and over a third made losses.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jun/01/premier-league-finances-club-by-club

The year before for information.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/25/premier-league-finances-club-by-club-breakdown-david-conn

Nailed it with that bit for me.

I'm sure Staveley would have come out herself to deny it if there was no truth in it

According to this article only a couple of Premiership clubs made a big profit last year, a few made a profit of around £3m and over a third made losses.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jun/01/premier-league-finances-club-by-club

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/25/premier-league-finances-club-by-club-breakdown-david-conn

Yes but if you take into account what owning NUFC did for Ashley and SD then its more than profitable.  Imagine if Ashley had of run us more successfully, ie no relegations and top 10 finishes, maybe the occasional top 5 finish.  his brand and coverage would have been worth much more.  I thin that's what you sell.

Question for people more knowledgeable on Finance/Business than i am.....

Would it make sense for Ashley to cut his ties with NUFC before the s*** hits the fan with this upcoming tax scandal?

ie. Would it affect Sports Direct's share price if their major shareholder was found to be involved in fraudulent activities with another of his businesses?

Obviously selling the club wouldn't absolve him of blame by any means but maybe it would take some of the heat away in the manner that it's reported in the press, therefore protecting what remains of his reputation?

Like i say i'm not any sort of finance expert, just thinking of possible scenarios.

Yes but if you take into account what owning NUFC did for Ashley and SD then its more than profitable.  Imagine if Ashley had of run us more successfully, ie no relegations and top 10 finishes, maybe the occasional top 5 finish.  his brand and coverage would have been worth much more.  I thin that's what you sell.

That's why I think the £200m 'fair' price is bollocks. The untapped potential of NUFC makes it worth loads more, especially after taking the TV income into account. Mike Ashley has run the club without maximising the income possibilities.

My reason for posting the profit and loss articles was to show most Premiership clubs either make a tiny profit or losses.

I think any potential buyer of NUFC who has the idea of running it at a profit is to be feared.

If you're buying a premier league club in today's world you're going to be paying for much of the upside and future potential - there's no way any seller will price the club like you would real estate or any business.

The Totally Football podcast by AC Jimbo had a football takeover expert on this week and he said that we are the most obviously attractive club for any potential billionaire buyer. The conversation is about 45 minutes into the podcast. He continues to say that the change in Chinese government rules away from investment in sports is the main factor at the moment.

Not wanting to jump the gun or anything, but I don't think he would have said that if we are massively overpriced.

Was listening to it while falling asleep, but wasn't there also some mention of the Communist Party investment 'conference' happening next week at which internal and external investment guidelines are set?  The outcome of that will govern whether or not external investment can be made and in what amounts.  He seemed to strongly indicate that Chinese investors were interested in us.

https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/latest-news/statement-from-st-james-holdings-limited?displaymode=googleamp

Statement from St. James Holdings Limited

As a result of increasing press speculation regarding the future of Newcastle United, the owner of the club, St. James Holdings Limited, wishes to clarify its intentions.

As one of the Premier League's oldest and best supported football clubs - and for the benefit of its many fans and supporters in the UK and across the world - Newcastle United requires a clear direction and a path to a bright and successful future.

To give the club the best possible opportunity of securing the positioning and investment necessary to take it to the next level, at what is an important time in its history, its present ownership has determined that it is in the best interests of Newcastle United and its fans for the club to be put up for sale.

To give an incoming owner the maximum possible flexibility to make meaningful investment in the club, including in its playing squad, the sale process will give interested parties the opportunity of deferring substantial payments.

A process will now commence of identifying new ownership for the club that will be capable of delivering the sustained investment in and dedication to the club that is necessary for it to achieve its ambitions.