Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

Its going to be a knife through the heart when this eventually falls apart to nothingness and Ashley continues his sterile "no fun" approach to owning our club.

Especially when it comes out that a deal was in the offing until Ashley moved the goalposts, insisting on free advertising, shirt sponsorship and stadium naming rights for the rest of eternity.

I know £28b has been mentioned as the amount that she manages, but does anyone know what actual wealth she's likely to have at her disposal?

Theoretically 28 billion. But.

Thinks of her as your financial adviser or pension guy if you have one. Her job is to make your money grow.

Her investors won't give a flying fuck about NUFC and probably haven't even heard of us.

The one certainty is that if she invests money from the fund she manages into a football club, she is duty bound to take more money out of it than she put in.

Would you want your pension fund manager sanctioning 60 million of funds to buy Kyle Walker or 35 million to buy Jordan Pickford ? Unlikely.

Guest firetotheworks

I know £28b has been mentioned as the amount that she manages, but does anyone know what actual wealth she's likely to have at her disposal?

Thinks of her as your financial adviser or pension guy if you have one. Her job is to make your money grow.

Her investors won't give a flying fuck about NUFC and probably haven't even heard of us.

The one certainty is that if she invests money from the fund she manages into a football club, she is duty bound to take more money out of it than she put in.

Would you want your pension fund manager sanctioning 60 million of funds to buy Kyle Walker or 35 million to buy Jordan Pickford ? Unlikely.

I get what you mean here, but I think that's only if she's working on behalf of others. What I mean is if she's buying this for herself, what's her personal wealth? Not the wealth that she manages for others.

Her investors won't give a flying f*** about NUFC and probably haven't even heard of us.

She helped broker the deal for the group who have done exactly that? ???

I'm assuming any takeover from her would include wealthy backing from her friends, in exchange for sponsorship deals etc. Someone in the background willing to be a sugar daddy for a bit of exposure.

Even if she's skint, she'd be better than Ashley, providing she's not a lying cuntychops.

Her investors won't give a flying f*** about NUFC and probably haven't even heard of us.

The greatest ever example of ruining your own point, right there. Well done Benwell Lad.

Apparently Man Utd recouped the £100m spent on Paul Pogba within one week through global merchandise sales. God knows what they've made since then.

If we're bought by a wealthy group and they raise our profile globally, sanctioning transfers like the example you've given is exactly the way they're going to make money from the club.

Apparently Man Utd recouped the £100m spent on Paul Pogba within one week through global merchandise sales.

That will be utter bollocks, not even Messi or Ronaldo accumulate that sort of cash through merchandise sales. Especially in that short time frame, i even doubt they have recouped it even now tbh.

Merchandise sales for individual players are nowhere near as big as that.

Apparently Man Utd recouped the £100m spent on Paul Pogba within one week through global merchandise sales.

That will be utter bollocks, not even Messi or Ronaldo accumulate that sort of cash through merchandise sales. Especially in that short time frame, i even doubt they have recouped it even now tbh.

Merchandise sales for individual players are nowhere near as big as that.

Both Adidas and Manchester United said that shirt sales surpassed £190m in the first 3 weeks. Ibra got over £60m in shirt sales in the first week once he'd signed.

Seems a strange thing to make up.

Guest firetotheworks

They'd only need to sell like 2 million shirts worldwide to bring in £100m before costs tbf. 2 million shirts directly relating to Pogba seems a bit unlikely though. Then again, I know fuck all. :lol:

EDIT: It seems that their average shirt sales per year is 1.75m, so 2 million within a few weeks directly relating to Pogba seems unlikely like. That's before getting on to Adidas getting nearly all of the profit anyway.

They'd only need to sell like 2 million shirts worldwide to bring in £100m before costs tbf. 2 million shirts directly relating to Pogba seems a bit unlikely though. Then again, I know fuck all. :lol:

EDIT: It seems that their average shirt sales per year is 1.75m, so 2 million within a few weeks directly relating to Pogba seems unlikely like. That's before getting on to Adidas getting nearly all of the profit anyway.

That's the key point I think (the profit to Adidas). They may have generated £190m but probably saw about £10m of it.

Still, better than we do with our Paul Dummett shirts.

I get what you mean here, but I think that's only if she's working on behalf of others. What I mean is if she's buying this for herself, what's her personal wealth? Not the wealth that she manages for others.

I looked it up the other day and couldn't find it; I doubt she has anything near the personal wealth of Mike Ashley - but she's def worth a decent chunk - assuming in the XX or XXX hundred millions based on all of the crap I've read. I have the feeling this will be a joint venture partnership in which she's the managing member overseeing the larger stack of equity from her firm's contacts.

Again literally just guessing here but trying to apply what I know from American sports + sovereign wealth funds investment in big real estate deals.

The greatest ever example of ruining your own point, right there. Well done Benwell Lad.

You probably need to read what I wrote a little more carefully.

She brokered the deal for Man City on behalf of a mega wealthy individuals who have almost bottomless pockets and no one to answer to.

If she buys into a football club on behalf of her managed fund, then they are only in it for growth and unlikely to want much more than a sensible annual return.

Two completely different scenarios. Surely you can understand that ?

Man City's owners are not fund managers. See above  :)

So if there's a genuine interest from her, would it be her personally or the company she works for (PCP Holdings or something like that?) would be buying the club/a stake in the club instead of one person? A bit like FSG and City Football Group/Abu Dhabi United Group?

If they could break the world transfer record and make it back in a few weeks they'd have bought Neymar in the summer.

Ok, fair enough. The figures were slightly off but you get the point - signing high profile players for big fees isn't money wasted, on the pitch or off it.

PSG's deal for Neymar has made them almost certs for the domestic title, able to compete with the best teams in the Champions League and has increased their global appeal. They'll have lucrative sponsors banging down their door. Everything about the club has been elevated since Neymar joined. Yes it's a lot of money but from a marketing/business point of view it makes financial sense.

So if there's a genuine interest from her, would it be her personally or the company she works for (PCP Holdings or something like that?) would be buying the club/a stake in the club instead of one person? A bit like FSG and City Football Group/Abu Dhabi United Group?

No one really knows, although journalists are paid to pretend they do  :)

She may be interested on behalf of a mega wealthy individual (Yippee) or in investing some of the funds she manages (Urgh), or maybe she was just watching a team she likes, in a football stadium not far from where she comes from  :lol:

Pretty much the "#preferthecurrentstatusquobetterthedevilyouknow" defense of Mike Ashley.

I'd rather take the chance, given the business contacts she has built.

Don't really give a stuff whether she (and her 'foreign' investors) doesn't have an emotional connection with the city, the club and it's fanbase when you consider the current owner deliberately shits on the club's commercial potential for his own gain, and as a bonus gets a thrill out of trolling it's fanbase.

I've had enough of Ashley, even if the next group come and in and let us spend a little bit of sensible money then ill be happy.

I cant handle being stuck in Ashley's tatty business models anymore.

Guest firetotheworks

The forum's terrible for people taking things out of context and misunderstanding posts at the moment like. It's becoming a bit of a pandemic.

Read his post back, it's clearly not at all a defence of Ashley, nor did he say he wouldn't take the chance, or anything relating to the other retorts.