Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

Now that he has sanctioned the Townsend deal hopefully people will forgive and forget. The bloke is putting so much money into us lately surely no one can doubt his commitment.. People have said he is putting nothing into the club but just look at how much money he has spent from his own fortune!!  O0

Now that he has sanctioned the Townsend deal hopefully people will forgive and forget. The bloke is putting so much money into us lately surely no one can doubt his commitment.. People have said he is putting nothing into the club but just look at how much money he has spent from his own fortune!!  O0

Obviously tongue in cheek but there'll be loads now who'll have that opinion for real, not being able to grasp that 8 years of chronic under investment has forced his hand and he'll now be sh*tting himself over the possibility of missing out on next seasons TV bonanza. Unfortunately for him, even if we do sign a striker, the manager he appointed to get the results needed clearly isn't capable of doing so.

Obviously tongue in cheek but there'll be loads now who'll have that opinion for real, not being able to grasp that 8 years of chronic under investment has forced his hand and he'll now be sh*tting himself over the possibility of missing out on next seasons TV bonanza. Unfortunately for him, even if we do sign a striker, the manager he appointed to get the results needed clearly isn't capable of doing so.

mate who takes his kid to the match said as much on facebook today 'nobody can claim Ashleys not putting his money where his mouth is'

While I'm sure he is very worried about relegation, we spent £50m+ in the summer too when he could have sat back and seen how things went.

I don't think we're spending because of the threat of relegation, I think we always planned to spend the money the club has generated, as we have in all the previous seasons where we didn't sell anyone at £20m+ profit.

I think the players we're buying are a more telling change in policy in that we're buying Premier league experience I don't think we would have done if we were higher up the table.

Guest antz1uk

While I'm sure he is very worried about relegation, we spent £50m+ in the summer too when he could have sat back and seen how things went.

I don't think we're spending because of the threat of relegation, I think we always planned to spend the money the club has generated, as we have in all the previous seasons where we didn't sell anyone at £20m+ profit.

I think the players we're buying are a more telling change in policy in that we're buying Premier league experience I don't think we would have done if we were higher up the table.

A bit of a case when your wages are shit so you get the groceries at lidl n Aldi, then after you get yourself sorted and a pay rise/bonus you can start shopping at morrisons again  :)

A bit of a case when your wages are shit so you get the groceries at lidl n Aldi, then after you get yourself sorted and a pay rise/bonus you can start shopping at morrisons again  :)

Preach.

Ridiculous statement. Take Wijnaldum, Mitrovic and Mbemba out of this squad and "seen how things went"?

We'd be propping up Aston Villa.

If the plan is to constantly spend the money the club brings in and not just when facing the threat of relegation then why did we end up with 35m sitting in a bank account at one point?

We haven't really seen a big enough sample (because we've more often than not been s***) but I think we're only willing to spend when we need to. Why else buy in January when it's, according to the club, a poor time to do business? Why not buy Shelvey in the summer?

Like Wullie says, they s*** themselves in the summer and they're shitting themselves now.

If the plan is to constantly spend the money the club brings in and not just when facing the threat of relegation then why did we end up with 35m sitting in a bank account at one point?

We haven't really seen a big enough sample (because we've more often than not been s***) but I think we're only willing to spend when we need to. Why else buy in January when it's, according to the club, a poor time to do business? Why not buy Shelvey in the summer?

Like Wullie says, they s*** themselves in the summer and they're shitting themselves now.

the club was running at a profit when we received the 35million.

Ridiculous statement. Take Wijnaldum, Mitrovic and Mbemba out of this squad and "seen how things went"?

Summer spending wasn't about doing the minimum to survive though.  Spending more than 18 other clubs isn't a strategy to just survive.

Summer spending wasn't about doing the minimum to survive though.  Spending more than 18 other clubs isn't a strategy to just survive.

Our current position says otherwise. They had to spend all that because they'd let the squad run down to one barely capable of winning a single game, and it still wasn't enough.

Because we sold Cabaye for £20m that January and spent that profit and the profit from 13/14 revenues in the Summer after the books showed a snapshot of cash balances in June.  Preference to spend in Summer cash that's been earned.  So we had £35m in the bank on June 30th and spent £37.4m in July/August.

I'd seen a big enough sample back in September 2014 when I was pointing to consistently increased spending and saying we'd continue to be spending more.

http://www.themag.co.uk/2014/09/mike-ashley-ready-invest-manager-now/

Revisited my view in Summer..

http://www.themag.co.uk/2015/07/a-corner-turned-or-history-repeating-newcastle-united-transfer-spending/

I pointed to the growth in spending being a year on year pattern that was clearly going to continue but got stick on here for it because the sale of Cabaye meant one year didn't follow the trend.

I can only see the increased spending continuing as long as we stay in the league, regardless of where we sit in the league.

So many thick fucks out there.  If we were lying 8th say 6-7 points of a European place, would gravy blood supply the dosh to get us there?  Would he hell.

Gravy blood hasn't supplied any dosh to buy us out of trouble in any situation, no matter how dire, since we were in the championship.

That's the point, the club is and always has been allowed to spend what it earns as long as it doesn't lead to reporting an accounting loss, other than an £11m loan repayment to Ashley in 2012 - £18m shy of what he had been planning to take out.

No other cash in the club is being sat on longer than half a season until the next window opens, let alone being siphoned out.

Because we sold Cabaye for £20m that January and spent that profit and the profit from 13/14 revenues in the Summer after the books showed a snapshot of cash balances in June.  Preference to spend in Summer cash that's been earned.  So we had £35m in the bank on June 30th and spent £37.4m in July/August.

I'd seen a big enough sample back in September 2014 when I was pointing to consistently increased spending and saying we'd continue to be spending more.

http://www.themag.co.uk/2014/09/mike-ashley-ready-invest-manager-now/

Revisited my view in Summer..

http://www.themag.co.uk/2015/07/a-corner-turned-or-history-repeating-newcastle-united-transfer-spending/

I got stick on hefre for pointing to the growth in spending being a year on year pattern that was clearly going to continue because the sale of Cabaye meant one year didn't follow the trend.

I can only see the increased spending continuing as long as we stay in the league, regardless of where we sit in the league.

Why are we spending in January? Why wasn't Shelvey bought in the summer? Are we going to split our money between summer and winter transfer windows in the coming years? If not, why was this year different?

You say we aren't spending because of a fear of relegation, well, if so, we should be spending every summer and every January in the future.

We haven't really been in a position of strength long enough to know whether spending will be curbed. I'm not saying it definitely will just that a relatively small sample of data, in a specific set of circumstances, (i.e. always pretty much in danger), means that it's difficult to say whether this money was always going to be spent at this time.

I just think it's weird that the club have gone on record to say they don't like dealing in January and then buy 2/3 (maybe 4) players in January. The last time we bought that amount in January being the last time we were panicking about relegation at this time of year...

Why are we spending in January? Why wasn't Shelvey bought in the summer? Are we going to split our money between summer and winter transfer windows in the coming years? If not, why was this year different?

You say we aren't spending because of a fear of relegation, well, if so, we should be spending every summer and every January in the future.

We haven't really been in a position of strength long enough to know whether spending will be curbed. I'm not saying it definitely will just that a relatively small sample of data, in a specific set of circumstances, (i.e. always pretty much in danger), means that it's difficult to say whether this money was always going to be spent at this time.

I just think it's weird that the club have gone on record to say they don't like dealing in January and then buy 2/3 (maybe 4) players in January. The last time we bought that amount in January being the last time we were panicking about relegation at this time of year...

I'm not arguing that spending hasn't been brought forward due to the threat of relegation, like the winter we bought Sissoko and co (so had nothing left to spend the following summer.)

I was responding to the argument "8 years of chronic under investment has forced his hand and he'll now be sh*tting himself" by offering the reminder that the club has spent all it's available funds consistently over the past 8 years.  I don't think there has been 8 years of chronic under-investment because I don't think a club should be subsidised by borrowing.

The club has always preferred to spend the available sums in the summer, and I fear for the Summer spending given what's been thrown at the situation this month - though I would think we will recoup a good wedge by selling failures and wantaways like Sissoko, Tiote, Thauvin, Cabella, Cisse etc as well as some talent I'd rather not lose (wijnaldum & Perez).

If we were top 10 now instead of in the relegation zone we wouldn't spend a penny, we're only spending beacuse we have to.

Most teams only spend in january coz somethings needs to be addressed.

I find it hard to be critical about most things since summer. Huge changes was needed and tbf most of them were dealt with.

The squad was in a worse state than most of us expected. But good players and setup were brought in.

Most teams do not spend that big money in january unless something isn´t right...you try to make it right before the season starts which is ideal.

Not many had McClaren as their 1st choice but not many of us expected us to be in this situation after the first game imo.

Do we survive relegation than i do have strong belief/hope that next season could be the best for us in a long time (even with McClaren).

fingers crossed.

:anguish:

Yeah because it's all HIS money he's investing isn't it?

It's not the clubs money after window after window of spending absolutely Fuck all and in some cases actually selling players.

Yeah, not the clubs money at all, cheers Mike.