Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

Let's just say that Ashley wants to own Rangers and it compelled to sell us because of the SFA 10% rule (that may or may not apply). What is the absolute worst case for us? (just so that I'm prepared for that and therefore anything else is a bonus)

The worst I could come up with would be selling (or "selling", as it were) to a nominee in one of those dodgy leveraged buyout deals such as the crooked Yanks at Man Yoo or Liverpool. And also attached some sort of 50-years-for-£1 deal to all the SD stadium advertising.

We're all hoping he'll leave, but many think he' a c*** who has a "personal", vindictive issue with the fans - if that's true, how badly could he screw us over on the way out?

Except it's all completely irrelevant, like saying 'What if I had the queen coming over dinner, should I spend more time dusting or hoovering?"

How so?

He is flexing his muscles in Scotland - he might very well decide they are a good investment given his history of buying shitty brands and building them up.

Failing to heed the supposed 10% rule also follows history, considering he bought us without checking things like that and found himself having to shell out more than a hundred million pounds.

How is contemplating a not-unrealistic scenario irrelevant on a discussion board? Especially considering he's f***ed us over more than once, then examining the worst case is pretty f***ing far from irrelevant, if you ask me.

Because the overall gain for SD owning Newcastle United vs Rangers outright are orders of magnitudes in difference. Calm down now.

Let's just say that Ashley wants to own Rangers and it compelled to sell us because of the SFA 10% rule (that may or may not apply). What is the absolute worst case for us? (just so that I'm prepared for that and therefore anything else is a bonus)

The worst I could come up with would be selling (or "selling", as it were) to a nominee in one of those dodgy leveraged buyout deals such as the crooked Yanks at Man Yoo or Liverpool. And also attached some sort of 50-years-for-£1 deal to all the SD stadium advertising.

We're all hoping he'll leave, but many think he' a c*** who has a "personal", vindictive issue with the fans - if that's true, how badly could he screw us over on the way out?

Except it's all completely irrelevant, like saying 'What if I had the queen coming over dinner, should I spend more time dusting or hoovering?"

How so?

He is flexing his muscles in Scotland - he might very well decide they are a good investment given his history of buying shitty brands and building them up.

Failing to heed the supposed 10% rule also follows history, considering he bought us without checking things like that and found himself having to shell out more than a hundred million pounds.

How is contemplating a not-unrealistic scenario irrelevant on a discussion board? Especially considering he's f***ed us over more than once, then examining the worst case is pretty f***ing far from irrelevant, if you ask me.

Because the overall gain for SD owning Newcastle United vs Rangers outright are orders of magnitudes in difference. Calm down now.

I don't necessarily agree.

Consider that he sold NUFC for an artificially inflated fee - and sold it to a friend who, essentially, borrowed it from Ashley and repaid it from earnings made by the club. This is not far removed from what many suspect Ashley is doing now (i.e. "trousering" the income the club makes). Consider that attached to the sale he included a ridiculous stadium advertising fee - many suspect that is the main motivation behind Ashley's ownership of the club at the moment, and he could conceivably continue that after he has left through such a contract.

Buying Rangers would cost nothing, getting them into the CL would cost little more (and would be financed by the "repayments" from his friend). Rangers would them be playing EL football out of SD Stadium, Glasgow and would be worth considerably more than it what he paid for it. He could then sell it for a huge return or continue owning it and have more success for less investment than would ever be possible at NUFC. And if it weren't, he could always resume ownership of NUFC through an artificially deflated sale from his friend.

Now, high finance isn't my field, but that seems to me to be a more profitable end-game than limping on in 17th position with a club whose fans hate his guts.

He's doing something with Rangers - isn't it reasonable to consider how it might effect us? And not in the "maybe an Arab potentate will rescue us" kind of way?

The Scottish league is ruined, the only way the Scottish teams can actually imporve their finances would be to merge leagues.  If that cant happen then I cant see anyone wanting to buy Rangers or Celtic as they are trapped in a dying league.

Ashley just wants The Rangers name and merchandising rights for shirt sales etc.

Guest antz1uk

He doesn't need to OWN rangers to  make plenty of money off them, as already mentioned, he's looking to secure the rights to the badge & stadium and currently has them over a barrell, he doesn't need to own rangers to get what he wants as they are so desperate to exist they will give him what he wants. no  conflict of interest or any need to sell us either, im afraid it's going to be a long while yet before he contemplates giving us up as his cash cow, he can have everything he has at newcastle, at rangers for a pittance. Stop getting your hopes up, he's played chess with them and is currently just about sitting at check-mate with rangers

I don't blame any fan for praying this could affect us positively, but I just don't see him ditching NUFC for Rangers. PL TV money must outweigh SPL TV money + making CL qualifiers now and then?  What's the advertising rules with Europe anyway? Am I imagining you have to cover your own personal brands in favour of the 'chosen' brands? So it wouldn't even benefit SD to have a team in Europe. If anything Ashley would continue to see Europe as just as damaging in Scotland as he does here.

How much would any financially knowledgeable people guesstimate Rangers would be worth if they got back to CL qualifiers now and then?

I don't blame any fan for praying this could affect us positively, but I just don't see him ditching NUFC for Rangers. PL TV money must outweigh SPL TV money + making CL qualifiers now and then?  What's the advertising rules with Europe anyway? Am I imagining you have to cover your own personal brands in favour of the 'chosen' brands? So it wouldn't even benefit SD to have a team in Europe. If anything Ashley would continue to see Europe as just as damaging in Scotland as he does here.

How much would any financially knowledgeable people guesstimate Rangers would be worth if they got back to CL qualifiers now and then?

He could guarantee Rangers qualify for the CL most years with the profits from NUFC.

“I was told that the man behind the deal was Mike Ashley and I sat with his representatives over 3 days thrashing out a deal. I was keen to know why they wanted the club and they were quite honest. They wanted to market their sports goods in the Far East and would use the club to help do this.”

There is no competition more catered to the Far East audience than the PL. The other leagues, even the CL, lack the same coverage and have the same problem with 'late' kick-offs. I'd not sacrifice my sleep to catch a 3am CL or Bundesliga match  for instance.

Wide broadcast to his target audience, with big TV money to boot. I don't believe he will throw away that to take over Rangers. All he wants is their profit margins, which he will get sooner or later.

He could guarantee Rangers qualify for the CL most years with the profits from NUFC.

How is that in any way different from what happens now to us?

I have no idea what you are talking about.  Comparatively it wouldn't take a lot of investment to get rangers in the CL as frequent as Celtic do.

I have no idea what you are talking about.  Comparatively it wouldn't take a lot of investment to get rangers in the CL as frequent as Celtic do.

The idea is that we don't see any profits from the club anyway, so what difference does it make if he spends it on Rangers or to fund more spread bets?

The idea is that we don't see any profits from the club anyway, so what difference does it make if he spends it on Rangers or to fund more spread bets?

the club make a profit mate.  It just gets invested in Fatty's back pocket.

I thought I just said that? :lol:

I thought I just said that? :lol:

I never said it would benefit us in any way.

I think the club crest that he is trying to get is the potentially most valuable thing to him.

He underwrites the loan, he gets the club crest, gambles that rangers will repay the loan.

He then has royalties for any merchandise bearing the rangers logo.

I'd imagine that those royalties are worth a lot over several years.

If Ashley wants Rangers he will get them, his passion is making money and he doesn't care whose fingers he has to stand on to make more. If he took over my local pub I'd be over the moon but him taking over a football club means he can make cash not friends.

Guest thenorthumbrian

How so?

The opposite is true here, he took a reasonable football "brand" in Newcastle United and has turned us to shit.

I prefer to go the games and get behind the lads myself like

:lol:

That's the beginning knowing that mental lot, like. Fair play.

You know we have members here who still retain their season tickets, right?  And every time you slag off the 'sheep' you're talking about people you probably interact with here on a daily basis?

I prefer to go the games and get behind the lads myself like

:lol:

That's the beginning knowing that mental lot, like. Fair play.

You know we have members here who still retain their season tickets, right?  And every time you slag off the 'sheep' you're talking about people you probably interact with here on a daily basis?

I was talking about 'Gers fans, like. :lol:

And, for the record, I interact with plenty of people retaining season tickets, including my immediate family. The ones I have a big problem with are those who choose to enable Ashley and Pardew and position themselves against those at the game trying to push for change.