Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

Ashley has made a load of huge mistakes in the first 2.5 years, but seems since the Hughton sacking he's got everything spot on with bringing in Pardew, keeping finances tight, selling Carroll and letting some of our big personalities leave last summer. I wouldn't say all is forgiven, or whether his good choices were down to design or luck, but he deserves credit for where we are and what team we have right now too.

I just hope he doesn't fuck things up in the summer, although it's tough to see how he could. If a silly money offer comes in I wouldn't mind 1 player leaving as long as he gives Pardew and Carr the money to find more decent players. If we sell more than 1 then it's really worrying as we have a good thing going on and a perfect platform to build on, in particular if it's for a Champions League assault next season.

Mike Ashley doing well can't be bad for us: -

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/news/north-east-news/2012/04/22/sports-direct-to-turn-up-the-heat-on-rival-jjb-79310-30810652/

Sports Direct to turn up the heat on rival JJB

Apr 22 2012 by Sara Nichol, Sunday Sun

NEWCASTLE United owner Mike Ashley is on track to land part of a £17million pay-out, it is expected to be announced this week.

Sports Direct International is set to turn up the heat on rival JJB Sports as it looks to grab a bigger slice of the market ahead of the Olympics.

The chain is expected to reveal on Wednesday that its strong performance has continued in the first quarter of 2012, leaving executive deputy chairman Ashley on track for a £17 million pay-out.

It also means that the company’s staff are on course for another pay-out under a separate bonus scheme.

Jonathan Pritchard, an analyst at Oriel Securities, a corporate and institutional stockbroking and advisory firm, expects the retail giant to compete even more aggressively on price in the run-up to the Olympics when more people are set to buy sports equipment.

And he thinks Sports Direct will also “up the ante” on its rival JJB Sports, which recently won £30 million of additional funding to accelerate its turnaround plans, with the majority coming from US chain Dick’s Sporting Goods.

Ashley’s company has already welcomed the move from Dick’s in a statement, which made reference to the US retailer’s sales of firearms. It said: “We have three weapons of our own and the customer knows they are unbeatable - price, price and price.

“Our team, just like Newcastle United FC at the Sports Direct Arena, is flying high and ready for tougher opposition. Bring it on.”

For the first three months of 2012, Mr Pritchard expects the group, which has nearly 400 stores and owns brands including Slazenger, Donnay and Karrimor, to report a 9% increase in sales, which would imply a 5% rise when new stores are stripped out.

The strong performance would mean the chain has hit an earnings target of £225 million for the year to the end of March, putting it on track to pay Mr Ashley six million shares, currently worth nearly £17 million.

And the chain’s staff are on course for a pay-out under a separate bonus scheme.

Some 2,000 staff last year received an average of more than £40,000 in what is believed to have been the largest windfall handed out to shop workers in Britain.

Guest sicko2ndbest

“Our team, just like Newcastle United FC at the Sports Direct Arena, is flying high and ready for tougher opposition. Bring it on.”

It's amazing that a man who led to Keegan quitting and appointing Kinnear to oversee our relegation could turn us around like this. Makes you wonder how much of a bad influence Dennis Wise was (whether he was doing it on purpose) and how little Ashley knew about football when he bought us.

Guest Sophie S

It still makes me angry though, when I look around the stadium and 99% of the adverts I can see are SD and only the very occasional Virgin money or Thomas Cook in between. Not just that it is everywhere - literally every surface is plastered with that crap - it also takes away space and therefore money from other sponsors. I can't stand SD!

i wonder what NE5 would have made of this fucking carry on :lol:

He's on Toontastic making excuses and telling everyone how they were wrong when they ALL said this, that and the other (99% of the time they never said what he claims).

A big miss to this forum tbh.

It still makes me angry though, when I look around the stadium and 99% of the adverts I can see are SD and only the very occasional Virgin money or Thomas Cook in between. Not just that it is everywhere - literally every surface is plastered with that crap - it also takes away space and therefore money from other sponsors. I can't stand SD!

my seat isn't, the steps aren't, the counter i rest my beer on isn't, the urinals aren't.

Only the unspent excess turnover and not put towards the self-incurred debt of Mike Ashley. Not much to ask. Most of the debt he's paying off now is to do with the stadium mortgage which was payable upon purchase of the club. He's done a great job with the finances, don't get me wrong, but he's definitely not putting everything he could into the club that it's generating, far from it. Whether it be players or investment in commercialization of our brand.

Can you point me to the page in the club's accounts where this is noted?

Apparently Sports Direct adverts are put up when no other advertiser has paid to advertise in that available location. If a company wanted to pay for an advert in a location taken by a Sports Direct advert, I'm sure the Sports Direct advert would come down.

Apparently Sports Direct adverts are put up when no other advertiser has paid to advertise in that available location. If a company wanted to pay for an advert in a location taken by a Sports Direct advert, I'm sure the Sports Direct advert would come down.

:thup: They're merely showcasing.