Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

I think the English or Scottish FA would step in at some point were that to happen, wouldn't they?

On what grounds ? He's got away with it so far just the opposite way round.

On the grounds that he's a devious ballbag.

haha but then there would be hardly any owners allowed in the leagues.

Could Ashley technically sign Newcastle United up with nice long term sponsorship deals with Sports Direct then float the club and sell off shares that way bringing up down to under 50% ownership.

Follow that with purchasing Rangers to say fix up and flog for a fair few quid in the future?

Im just thinking he gets the best of everything that's all. SD all over the stadium, shirts, merchandise rights for say 20 years plus the funds he brings in for selling the club, plus current profits pay back all loans by 2016.

Exact same at Rangers and the blokes probably £300-£500m up on where he started and yet could still own shares in both clubs to continue bringing in cash from shares.

Sounds very plausible tbh.

That may indeed be his 'exit' strategy but I doubt he'd do it any time soon as he's known to dislike the public nature of SD now isn't he? (in respect of reporting, AGM's etc etc).

The problem with this whole idea is that Scottish football is s**** and getting worse.  Rangers (and Celtic) have already had their peak and are in decline along with the Scottish league to where they should be in the pyramid.  Their 'worldwide' fanbase will dwindle away and they'll be another little fish in a tiny footballing backwater.

See I agree with this, but if you can buy a business like Rangers for £25m for arguments sake and get them in CL and making a profit does it matter ?

Short term, maybe, but the co-efficients will keep going down, the quality of player you'll be able to attract will keep going down and eventually they'll be just like those Norwegian sides that are glad to get to the last qualifying round.

Maybe, but at a far lower buying price than you would get with possible lucrative sponsorship open to negotiate from new buyers.  Anyone any owner with any sense would look at the kind of sponsorship money going around the Premier League and how its growing and seriously downgrade what they're willing to pay.  Unless we're talking only about the stadium adds and not shirts as well?  In which case it wouldn't be as extreme a sticking point, but still would likely have a effect on what people are willing to pay.

Fair enough just a thought I had. I wasn't sure if it would interest your usual stock exchange businessman who only cares about profit rather than a general football owner but I guess your right it does devalue not being able to negotiate one of the major sponsorship deals even if you do rake in £60m from TV money.

Could Ashley technically sign Newcastle United up with nice long term sponsorship deals with Sports Direct then float the club and sell off shares that way bringing up down to under 50% ownership.

Follow that with purchasing Rangers to say fix up and flog for a fair few quid in the future?

Im just thinking he gets the best of everything that's all. SD all over the stadium, shirts, merchandise rights for say 20 years plus the funds he brings in for selling the club, plus current profits pay back all loans by 2016.

Exact same at Rangers and the blokes probably £300-£500m up on where he started and yet could still own shares in both clubs to continue bringing in cash from shares.

Sounds very plausible tbh.

That may indeed be his 'exit' strategy but I doubt he'd do it any time soon as he's known to dislike the public nature of SD now isn't he? (in respect of reporting, AGM's etc etc).

He wouldn't be doing that if he only owned a small amount of the club. He hates the public nature of it but enjoyed the billion pounds he picked up from the float.

Guest Roger Kint

I don't know if it's possible might be legal reasons why he can't get long term contracts like that signed. I just think it all adds up after he made himself a board member last year. Get rid of the controlling share in Newcastle means he can own Rangers but the contracts at Newcastle mean can't stuff him over by getting shot of all SD.

He would still need to own under 10% of Rangers if he has a controlling stake of 29%+ here iirc

But possible if he dropped his Newcastle ownership down to 25% say ? He'd probably make a fortune on the stock market selling 75% of the club.

Given that he cant own over 10% of Rangers while owning us i would be pretty confident the SFA/FA wont let you have 25% while owning Ranger.

Guest Roger Kint

The problem with this whole idea is that Scottish football is s**** and getting worse.  Rangers (and Celtic) have already had their peak and are in decline along with the Scottish league to where they should be in the pyramid.  Their 'worldwide' fanbase will dwindle away and they'll be another little fish in a tiny footballing backwater.

See I agree with this, but if you can buy a business like Rangers for £25m for arguments sake and get them in CL and making a profit does it matter ?

You think it wcould cost him £25m to buy and get Rangers to the CL? :lol:

Will cost nigh on double that to survive long enough to reach the SPL the way they are going at the minute let alone sufficient improvemenst to win the SPL.

They have lost nigh on £5m since October(Ashleys £3m loan has run out and HMRC bills are mounting too)

compared to already making a profit here (and only going to get bigger with each tv deal) worldwide exposure every home game for his company and no major need to spend money on the club from his own pocket. I seriously don't get what he's trying with Rangers

I don't know if it's possible might be legal reasons why he can't get long term contracts like that signed. I just think it all adds up after he made himself a board member last year. Get rid of the controlling share in Newcastle means he can own Rangers but the contracts at Newcastle mean can't stuff him over by getting shot of all SD.

He would still need to own under 10% of Rangers if he has a controlling stake of 29%+ here iirc

But possible if he dropped his Newcastle ownership down to 25% say ? He'd probably make a fortune on the stock market selling 75% of the club.

Given that he cant own over 10% of Rangers while owning us i would be pretty confident the SFA/FA wont let you have 25% while owning Ranger.

I thought you had said if he owned more than 29% it was a problem, thats why I picked 25% :) Dont think that amount would matter  I just assume he would want to hold some shares in Newcastle still.

Will cost nigh on double that to survive long enough to reach the SPL the way they are going at the minute let alone sufficient improvemenst to win the SPL.

They have lost nigh on £5m since October(Ashleys £3m loan has run out and HMRC bills are mounting too)

No £25m was just to buy the club. I just compare them to Ajax. They have a market value of what £60m ? If he can do the same cheap purchases flogging to bigger clubs whilst also getting them into CL he might be doing what he enjoys which is why he got into football and still making a profit along the way knowing he could flog the club for at least what he paid for it when he's bored of doing whatever it is he thinks he can do at Rangers.

Guest Roger Kint

I thought you had said if he owned more than 29% it was a problem, thats why I picked 25% :) Dont think that amount would matter  I just assume he would want to hold some shares in Newcastle still.

I meant you can own one and have under 10% either way so if he owned 25% of us he would still need to remain at under 10% at Rangers. Owning 29%+ of either would mean he has to buy the rest(like when he ousted Shepherd)

Guest Roger Kint

No £25m was just to buy the club. I just compare them to Ajax. They have a market value of what £60m ? If he can do the same cheap purchases flogging to bigger clubs whilst also getting them into CL he might be doing what he enjoys which is why he got into football and still making a profit along the way knowing he could flog the club for at least what he paid for it when he's bored of doing whatever it is he thinks he can do at Rangers.

They just said no to £18m as its worth more. He would need to pay £25m+ and clear the £m's of debt(and pump in £m's more just to survive what could easily be 18 months outside of the SPL)

Given that their only saleable asset went to Brentford for under £1m he would do very well raising anything at all selling the hasbeens and never will be's filling the squad right now. Forget CL he will no doubt be £50m down before they even play a SPL game, plus arent most fans massively against him too? Good luck filling the ground under him which would seriously damage him financially

They just said no to £18m as its worth more. He would need to pay £25m+ and clear the £m's of debt(and pump in £m's more just to survive what could easily be 18 months outside of the SPL)

Given that their only saleable asset went to Brentford for under £1m he would do very well raising anything at all selling the hasbeens and never will be's filling the squad right now. Forget CL he will no doubt be £50m down before they even play a SPL game, plus arent most fans massively against him too? Good luck filling the ground under him which would seriously damage him financially

So the question again returns to, why does he want them haha

I honestly don't understand how he's still here, it wouldnt take long to force him out with sustained pressure. We've seen it before, but no one seems to do it

It's pure apathy, man. No other explanation.

EDIT: Possibly science

If Sissoko is sold and he makes Carver the "head coach", can we organise another walkout. Hes taking the piss now the fat cunt.

Now? Now he's taking the piss? He's been ripping it out of us for years man!

Its getting pathetic now. The lack of sporting ambition in the cups, actively trying to avoid european places, selling our best players and not replacing them, appointing clown like yes men as coaches. The club is a fucking shambles and disgrace. We need to take our club back!

If Sissoko is sold and he makes Carver the "head coach", can we organise another walkout. Hes taking the p*ss now the fat c***.

Now? Now he's taking the p*ss? He's been ripping it out of us for years man!

I agree he has, its getting unbearable now.

Guest Roger Kint

So the question again returns to, why does he want them haha

Well he can stay as he is and take a healthy profit from them every year for a mere £3m outlay. He owns the image, merchandise and commercial income almost entirely sowho is to say he isnt happy with that until they are more financially stable? He cant do a thing for 2 years anyway(and thats IF he can sell us by then)

I honestly don't understand how he's still here, it wouldnt take long to force him out with sustained pressure. We've seen it before, but no one seems to do it

If people won't not go to the games, just turn SJP into a cauldron of pure hatred and he won't want any part of it. It's very simple

I get that it sounds simple, but fan power can only get you so far and let's be honest, we don't exactly have the media on our side the majority of the time :lol:

If people won't not go to the games, just turn SJP into a cauldron of pure hatred and he won't want any part of it. It's very simple

I get that it sounds simple, but fan power can only get you so far and let's be honest, we don't exactly have the media on our side the majority of the time :lol:

Hes an evil evil man, hell sell all our players and put Kinnear in charge just to shit us all off.

If Sissoko is sold and he makes Carver the "head coach", can we organise another walkout. Hes taking the piss now the fat cunt.

Walkouts don't do anything. People need to stop buying tickets at all.