Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

Anyway, I still don't like the guy or particularly enjoy the way he runs the club (so far).

But to say he doesn't want us to succeed is just plain wrong in my opinion.

And I do think, regardless of Ashley, with the players we've had over the past 3 or 4 years, the manager's SHOULD have been doing a lot better.

We've made some good signings and had some good players, but always too many glaring weaknesses that we refuse to address because it costs too much.

You can tell these brainless fuckwits don't even think about what they're saying by how they seem to think the Premier League operates in 2015 - i.e. the same as it did in 2005.

You couldn't bankrupt a modern Premier League club unless you were deliberately trying to do so. They're a money tree.

He may be a brainless fuckwit but are you really saying you don't know exactly what he meant by 'fiscally irresponsible'?

Have Leicester spent £50m+ in successive windows?

The culture of the club is riddled with an acceptance of failure. That's what holds us back more than anything, and what won't change until he's gone.

You can't put this Newcastle United right with a few players, not now.

I couldn't care less what he's telling people, judge him by his actions.

Did you believe Pardew aswell?

No, why?

I personally don't believe we'll be anywhere remotely close to Champions League in 5 years, but I do believe that that's what he wants!

However, my personal opinion is that he'll continue to try and do these things without true ambitious spending / appointing of the right people... therefore the plan will fail miserably.

So it's not what he wants really is it?

I can say I want to be a millionaire but if I'm not prepared to make any move towards doing so, it's a pointless trite statement.

Might as well tell us he wants to get a fucking pet unicorn.

To be honest our last five year plan has worked wonders as we are doing better than Aston Villa currently: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united/4580758/Newcastle-United-have-five-year-plan-to-emulate-Aston-Villa.html

Rather than listening in admiration to the people you talk to, perhaps you should consider what has actually happened at this club in the last 8 years and try to see if you can find a pattern? You say he's not ploughing enough money into it, but the fact is that his decision to give SD free advertising has cost the club probably close to 100m over the years. I'm not interested in what he has to say to his minions to make them feel good, I'll judge him on his actions and so far they've been disastrous for the club whilst being hugely beneficial to himself.

So he wants success for the club, Champions League qualification, a cup win as well maybe, and to achieve these goals he appoints Joe Kinnear, Alan Pardew, John Carver and Steve McClaren to deliver this rather than appointing even a semi competent manager, and then to compound all this any player with any sort of value or potential is sold off as soon as an offer is put in for him.

It does look a bit dubious mind and it's not hard to see why there's a certain amount of scepticism surrounding his motives.

My personal opinion hasn't changed in years. He's here to make as much money out of the club as possible whilst using it as a vehicle to advertise (for free) his sports shops to a Worldwide market.

So far he hasn't put a penny of his own money into the club for years, and then only because he was forced to to keep us afloat in the Championship. I would be very suspicious about any claim that he will be spending some of his own money on us, let alone anywhere near enough for us to be competitive.

Guest Roger Kint

So far he hasn't put a penny of his own money into the club for years, and then only because he was forced to to keep us afloat in the Championship. I would be very suspicious about any claim that he will be spending [some of his own money on us, let alone anywhere near enough for us to be competitive.

Exactly. No matter who tells me he is a nice bloke/wants us to win the Champions League this is the glaring fact that matters.

Even Sullivan / gold were close to getting Benitez,would we ever be in the running for anyone like that,

He sacked Hughton when he was doing well to bring his own puppet in,even when that puppet had an horrific run of results refused to get rid when sed puppet walked,install puppets sidekick

hope he does well enough to take over does so horrendously bad needs new puppet,instead of getting an ambitious manager who had performed way above expectations eg Howe, Karanka

He hires next puppet who got sack for failing his objectives and just glad of a job.

That ambition,this club is awful to think clubs like Bournemouth, Leicester, Watford, Stoke have passed us in this time shows what a cunt he is.

Look, I may be going round in circles (I should be f***ing working but instead I'm arguing on a forum) so forgive me if my posts come off a little haphazard.

To summarise...

I, as much as the next fan, have had the ambition and passion ripped out of me during his tenure. For that, I can't stand the guy. Hell, I had a season ticket for 17 years straight, and ditched it at the start of last season because I didn't see the point any more.

However, I do worry about who else is out there. I DO NOT think another owner with more money automatically makes things better. As Wullie says, it goes deeper than that.

And I DO think it's bollocks that he "doesn't give a f***". Whether he'll ever truly invest what is required and make the correct decisions remain to be seen (I'm highly doubtful that he will), but he certainly is telling people within the club what his aims are in the next 5 years and I believe that he does want to achieve them. I'm yet to meet any successful businessman (and I come into contact with quite a few in my line of work) that are ever happy with their lot. They always want more. More money. More success. More accolades. And that ties in with everything I've been told... therefore that is what I believe.

If he's serious about those five year aims, why doesn't he come out and make them public?

Also, I fail to see how what he's doing at our club is in any way contrary to your last paragraph in his mind. He's made huge amounts of money on the back of us, doesn't have to put a penny in to keep us going and will probably make a killing once he finally does decide to sell up. This NUFC is its current miserable state constitutes a massive success for him.

So?

I only got into this thread to reply to one comment about him not "giving a f***". That's what all of my rambles over the last page have been in reference to.

If rather than "not giving a f***" it would have said "results on the pitch don't matter much to him as long as we are in the PL" would you have reacted? Because that's what it effectively comes down to.

Edit: what Santy said. I also think his attitude towards the fans and by extension the club is neutral at best, probably even negative. I can't even see him genuinely wanting to bring joy to the fans anymore for the insults he received early on in his tenure. He appears to be a very proud and petty manchild who has decided that he will hang onto us for his own gain only, going out of his way to frustrate the fans who dared to challenge him. Maybe that wasn't his original intention when he first bought us, but it's certainly how the relationship has been for a long time. It's all fucked up.

If you've given up your season ticket as a result of the bloke actions (as I also have), why would you possibly "worry" about future potential owners?

The most important thing to me with regards to NUFC are that I'm proud of them, and that I actually care about what happens to them, and that's something I haven't had for a long time. I can barely call myself a supporter anymore, such is my total apathy towards the results, so the idea that I could possibly worry about a new owner is preposterous.

Anyone that gets me (and thousands of others) back through the door would be a welcome change, whether that be in the top flight or the Conference.

What we've got now is purgatory.

The fundamental things your forgetting is Newcastle is a sports club first and for most. Ashley runs the club like his discount clothes business.

I actually don't think Ashley is that succesful at business he has got extremely lucky and was in the right place at the right time.

If you've given up your season ticket as a result of the bloke actions (as I also have), why would you possibly "worry" about future potential owners?

The most important thing to me with regards to NUFC are that I'm proud of them, and that I actually care about what happens to them, and that's something I haven't had for a long time. I can barely call myself a supporter anymore, such is my total apathy towards the results, so the idea that I could possibly worry about a new owner is preposterous.

Anyone that gets me (and thousands of others) back through the door would be a welcome change, whether that be in the top flight or the Conference.

What we've got now is purgatory.

Truth be told, it was Alan Pardew that ended my love for NUFC (as an avid matchgoer). I detested the man to such an extent that I actually wished for defeats so he would leave sooner. By extension, yes, that is all Ashley's fault, but my day-to-day enjoyment of this football club was ended by Pardew and his merry men.

A good manager and some good players / football would get me back through the door, regardless of the owner to be honest.

I wouldn't hold your breath. Ashley thought Pardew was fucking brilliant right up to the end. He wants more of that, hence getting in another lower league failure, desperate for a job.

The fundamental things your forgetting is Newcastle is a sports club first and for most. Ashley runs the club like his discount clothes business.

<b>I actually don't think Ashley is that succesful at business he has got extremely lucky and was in the right place at the right time.</b>

Come on! :) Give the guy at least some credit! He's worth 5.5 BILLION DOLLARS!!!! That's some luck he's got there!

I work in Commercial law, so I see a lot of how these people make their money. It's 80% luck and getting in the right circles, 10% hard work and 10% intelligence. People make out these millionaires are superhuman demi-gods but they are just people who were in the right place at the right time. Once you get some decent money behind you (i.e 50million) its probably harder not to make money to be honest.

<b>I actually don't think Ashley is that succesful at business he has got extremely lucky and was in the right place at the right time.</b>

Come on! :) Give the guy at least some credit! He's worth 5.5 BILLION DOLLARS!!!! That's some luck he's got there!

I agree with this actually: he is an amazing business man. I will say this though: he is also a bit of a one trick pony and a parasite in business. He sucks the life out of his competitors and every company he takes over to make his own company stronger. I respect him for the enormous wealth he has managed to amass, but by doing so has probably cost society and thousands of others dearly. He's successful, but I wouldn't exactly call him inspirational.