Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

The first XI assembled under him here is very good. If he could get a decent manager in I think I would be pretty happy with how things are going (all the ridiculousness of the past aside). In fact with a good manager I think we would have everything that a non-super rich club could hope to have in terms of the premier league.

Trouble is he won't get a good manager in any time soon and if he does it will probably involve an immense slice of luck. I think this undermines any real claims that can me made of the summer representing a missed opportunity for 'kicking on' up the league. I'm not saying we shouldn't have bought defenders, we should have done but what's the rush really. We haven't won anything since 1969 and that wouldn't have changed with Mike Williamson being demoted to 4th choice centre back and Danny Simpson being made second choice right back.

For me the real shame is that for all the talk of a long term plan the youth side of things seems to be a shambles. The coaching structure seems incredibly ad hoc and there is no tangible footballing blue-print running through the lower levels.

The thing is Mike is worth 1.7 BILLION and thus has the means to spend large, no doubt about that. Of course he doesn't for some reason (which under Shephard we're inclined to agree with) but the problem is he doesn't even spend small as the Debuchy deal proved, we nearly lost a first team international because he didn't want to pay over 5 million. That is just ludicrous, the money is there, he just would rather us get relegated because I believe he actively hates the club.

The thing is Mike is worth 1.7 BILLION and thus has the means to spend large, no doubt about that. Of course he doesn't for some reason (which under Shephard we're inclined to agree with) but the problem is he doesn't even spend small as the Debuchy deal proved, we nearly lost a first team international because he didn't want to pay over 5 million. That is just ludicrous, the money is there, he just would rather us get relegated because I believe he actively hates the club.

If that was true we wouldn't have signed anyone (or anyone who was any good) in the past couple of years. Progress may be slow with transfers and the haggling approach may well be to our detriment, but the side is getting there. Do you think our trophy cabinet would be any fuller had we signed Debuchy in the summer? Do you think the only reason we have turned out such turgid mediocre football all season, and lost 7 of the last 9 is because of Danny Simpson?

His liquid wealth is something like (or was) £800Mill of which he has put in something like 25%.

I agree not stumping up the extra million or so, here and there, seems daft, but I suppose from his point of view, where does it end. He doesn't want to use any more of his own money and he won't.

If the club can afford the wages/fee's it'll pay them, if it can't, it won't, that is the end of the story. He will not be putting his hand in his pocket, hoping he will is just not worth the angst.

The clubs size is such it "should" be fine within it's means, we just have to hope it is.

If that was true we wouldn't have signed anyone (or anyone who was any good) in the past couple of years. Progress may be slow with transfers and the haggling approach may well be to our detriment, but the side is getting there. Do you think our trophy cabinet would be any fuller had we signed Debuchy in the summer? Do you think the only reason we have turned out such turgid mediocre football all season, and lost 7 of the last 9 is because of Danny Simpson?

Should've had a lot more players come in then we've had. Plus I've never heard a chairman keep reminding the club that he doesn't really like them. Remember when Derek released a statement which included the fact that Mike gets upset that people keep calling him a Spurs fan because he actually supports Chelsea? Thanks for that Mike. Of course I was using hyperbole when saying he actively hates us but I must wonder if he wants to run a club like a business why he bought us? It's no secret that NUFC is more than a club for its fans, it's a way of life. He should've bought Wigan or something.

Supports Chelsea? Did you just make that up? First time I've ever heard it mentioned..

One hundred per cent serious.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2112445/Mike-Ashley-calls-Newcastles-ground-St-James-Park.html

"Mike is a Chelsea supporter. Everyone thinks he is a Tottenham supporter, by the way, and that upsets him."

:thup:

Odd

"We’re not going to buy one for the money we’ve received for Demba. Money’s tight here, and we’re trying to get the best deal." -- Pardew in the Times

Has this been discussed? I can't quite figure out what he means.

Saying we can't get a decent replacement for Ba, with the fee we received from Chelsea for him. He also talked about MA having to therefore find extra money for the striker because of this, as money is tight.

Just a bunch of posturing in order to get the best deal possible for any striker we're after I imagine.

"We’re not going to buy one for the money we’ve received for Demba. Money’s tight here, and we’re trying to get the best deal." -- Pardew in the Times

Seems pretty straight forward tbh

I think he means theres no way the incoming Ba fee will pay for an equivalent replacement and the balance will have to come from the budget.

Have you been injecting heroin directly into your fucking bellend you mad bastard? :lol:

Shambolic ownership and board. Disgraceful.

We should have 100% kept Leon Best, Danny Guthrie, and Wayne Routledge (I know Guthrie left on his own b/c he wanted first team football).

But the fact that we've sold squad players and tried to graduate the youth players too early is a disgraceful decision by the club. Best, Guthrie, Forster, and Wayne Routledge could have all been vital to our squad. We haven't had squad depth in ages, and every time something happens to us via injuries or suspensions, we've struggled b/c we've lacked adequate depth. The players listed above aren't exactly world class players who should be commanded first team places, but they'd provide experience and some unique quality/talent.

I think of today's starting 11 and in that you replace Best for Shola, Routledge for Sammy, Guthrie for Mehdi, and you've got a team that could grind out a result.

I've always said we should be buying solid Championship players who actually have some talent to fill in some depth for our squads, or decent PL players who would love to play for a club like us and be a member of the squad. You could pick out a player or 2 from each of the "smaller" clubs and see a few that would cost us little and prove to be key squad players. But our board, are just f***ing so incredibly cheap and lack ambition - b/c they love to take gambles on young lads who have only cut their teeth in reserve fixtures or youth matches.

Funny that we sign a player like Bigi from a lower league who is at the right age and he looks miles ahead of others b/c he's had real first team experience.