Mike Ashley

Christmas Tree

i took it more negatively than that, "aggressive" in terms of haggling over price asking what they wanted and offering the lowest price that is possible to get away with. Paying for things in full and in one go will only get you so much off but we feel that this approach will get millions and millions off the asking price. All in the pursuit of value which really is a subjective thing anyway as one player to some club could be deemed a luxury while others it is essential as to how they are going to play and take the side forward. We don't seem to recongnise that at all.

Agreed - if you have a good asset, worth a lot of money, you are not going to sell it for a pittance especially if you have more than 1 person wanting to buy it..

The clowns running NUFC seem to think they are above all the normal laws of supply and demand...

But then the club would be far shitter and less valuable... I just can't see relegation under any circumstances being something that might seem worth the risk, even if he did think we'd come straight back up. Which we wouldn't if we sold everyone

I can see what you're getting at, I just don't think it's very realistic

I agree, but when did Mike Ashley do common sense?

You can tell by Pards desperation that there isn't that much going on that looks promising....Simple. Think we started with about 5 enquiries and am not  sure how much more we have on the serious list.

Some absolutely shocking Pardew quotes in there. He clearly doesn't trust Mike & Derek to deliver what he requires anymore either and is trying to get the fans on his side for the inevitable backlash:

Mike Ashley gets hands-on in Newcastle’s search for signings

AGGRESSIVE ... Derek Llambias and Mike Ashley.

By MILES STARFORTH

Published on Saturday 19 January 2013 10:00

MIKE Ashley’s taken a hands-on role in Newcastle United’s transfer business – with the club’s Premier League status on the line.

Toon boss Alan Pardew’s desperate for two more signings.

Newcastle were just two points above the relegation zone ahead of this afternoon’s home game against Reading.

And Pardew says Ashley is acutely aware that he has a “weak” hand until further reinforcements arrive.

However, Pardew – who isn’t involved directly in transfer negotiations – refused to make any promises to supporters, mindful of his pledge to keep hold of striker Andy Carroll, who left the club two years ago.

“They’ve had enough false promises from managers here in the past, even from myself with the Andy Carroll situation,” Pardew told the Gazette.

“I’m not going to fall into that trap.

“All I will say is that since I have been at the club – which is all I can talk about, my history here – we’re the most aggressive I’ve ever seen us in terms of the people who do the negotiations.

“Mike, Derek (Llambias) and Lee Charnley have been aggressive in the market.

“They know that I’m weak, and they want to strengthen my hand. I thank them for that. Hopefully, they get the players.”

United lost out on Loic Remy this week, with the striker opting to join basement club Queens Park Rangers, who tabled a more lucrative offer to the 26-year-old.

That left fans – who saw leading scorer Demba Ba join Chelsea last month – frustrated.

But Pardew believes the right calibre of player can be signed within the financial boundaries set by Ashley.

While a striker and a centre-half are the top priorities, Newcastle have had a £2m bid accepted by Nancy for left-back Massadio Haidara, and the club is discussing personal terms with the 20-year-old’s representative.

“Our financial position’s so much stronger than it has ever been,” added Pardew.

“But we find ourselves in a position where we need to invest in the team – I think that’s fairly obvious. We’re going to do that, but within the boundaries that have been set out.

They aren’t boundaries that I’ve set – they’re boundaries that the owner has set.

“I have to abide by them. At the same time, I’ll still push for the best possible players I can get. Hopefully, the negotiations, that aren’t done by me, bear fruit.”

With a new £5bn three-year Premier League TV deal to kick in next season, the consequences of relegation are unthinkable.

And the cost of a couple of signings pales into insignificance when compared with the financial hit the club would take by dropping down a division.

“This club has already been relegated not so long ago,” said Pardew. “To be fair to Mike, he was in a position where he could keep the team together.

“If you keep the team, you go back up.

“But we don’t want to be in that scenario. The last person who wants that position is Mike Ashley.

“He doesn’t want to go back to that. We’re aggressive, but we can’t be overly aggressive. We have to do what we think is right for the club.”

Remy yesterday claimed he joined QPR for footballing, and not financial, reasons. The France international said he was “excited by the QPR project”.

On the proposed Remy deal, Pardew went on: “We made the right offer (to Olympique Marseille), and it was accepted.

“We made the player an unbelievable offer. The attraction for him and us was that he was French. It would have made him very easy for him to integrate.

“I was very surprised by his decision, and I don’t know what swayed that decision.”

With the flurry of targets in the last couple of days, are people starting to feel we might actually have been reasonably well prepared for this window? Still a while to go obviously

Ultimately it doesn't make any difference how much we spend on new players in the next two weeks, if Pardew is still manager at the end of that period it will tell us far more about Ashley than any balance sheets will. Hughton was sacked supposedly for being a soft touch with the players despite our performances on the pitch which were far superior to what we are currently seeing, with much worse players.

Appointing incompetent yes men is one thing, but to stubbornly leave them at the helm when the ship is sinking is beyond explanation.

Guest firetotheworks

Do we believe he is going to splash the cash on three players this week ? caught something on SSN this morning about it

It's pointless believing anything, it's just blind guesswork when dealing with Ashley.

Do we believe he is going to splash the cash on three players this week ? caught something on SSN this morning about it

It's pointless believing anything, it's just blind guesswork when dealing with Ashley.

Think it's pretty apparent that he's feeling the heat this window. I think this is about as close as we'll ever get to "total panic buy anything that moves" with Ashley.

I think he might well offer cash for 3 players - whether it's enough and we actually sign them is another matter entirely.

Think it's pretty apparent that he's feeling the heat this window. I think this is about as close as we'll ever get to "total panic buy anything that moves" with Ashley.

Yeah I'd say even he is start to get a few fat sweats coming on at night looking at the table and the way Pardew ensured complete capitulation second half against Reading which I believe he saw with his own eyes

I feel he's on for an unusual big/quality spending spree this window. I really feel he's going to nail a bunch of transfers.

I'm not pissed, either :undecided:

He's definitely willing to spend in this window, we've already bought Debuchy, probably a CB and narrowly missed out on Remy. I don't know how anyone can deny we're looking to sign people.

3 players on Monday usually turns into 1 player by Friday, sick of hearing it to be honest surely its easier just to keep quiet instead of looking stupid?

Guest tollemache

When is tollemache coming on to tell us all that we must wait until deadline day to sign someone to play instead of Shola and that that's acceptable?

Could happen at any point... sooner the better obviously, and it does look like we might be closing in on one or two in the next day or so, but if one or two of them take longer that's just the way it goes. I just don't think it's possible to click your fingers and insist everything gets done in 2 days unless you have enough money to render irrelevant any attempts by other clubs, agents and the players themselves to maximise their profits, so talking about whether our rate of progress is acceptable or not doesn't really work. We don't have insane amounts of money so if an agent wants to play silly buggers until deadline day, which they love to do, then we just have to play along.

I haven't seen anything this window to suggest that we don't have a decent list of targets and we're going for them as quickly as possible.

When is tollemache coming on to tell us all that we must wait until deadline day to sign someone to play instead of Shola and that that's acceptable?

Could happen at any point... sooner the better obviously, and it does look like we might be closing in on one or two in the next day or so, but if one or two of them take longer that's just the way it goes. I just don't think it's possible to click your fingers and insist everything gets done in 2 days unless you have enough money to render irrelevant any attempts by other clubs, agents and the players themselves to maximise their profits. We don't have that much money so if an agent wants to play silly buggers until deadline day, which they love to do, then we just have to play along.

I haven't seen anything this window to suggest that we don't have a decent list of targets and we're going for them as quickly as possible.

It'll be interesting to see the reaction if we do end up with a RB, CB and forward. Probably just be 'he should have done it sooner'.

Guest strongbow69

Could happen at any point... sooner the better obviously, and it does look like we might be closing in on one or two in the next day or so, but if one or two of them take longer that's just the way it goes. I just don't think it's possible to click your fingers and insist everything gets done in 2 days unless you have enough money to render irrelevant any attempts by other clubs, agents and the players themselves to maximise their profits. We don't have that much money so if an agent wants to play silly buggers until deadline day, which they love to do, then we just have to play along.

It'll be interesting to see the reaction if we do end up with a RB, CB and forward. Probably just be 'he should have done it sooner'.

which would be a fair reaction in all honesty

I feel he's on for an unusual big/quality spending spree this window. I really feel he's going to nail a bunch of transfers.

I'm not p*ssed, either :undecided:

He's definitely willing to spend in this window, we've already bought Debuchy, probably a CB and narrowly missed out on Remy. I don't know how anyone can deny we're looking to sign people.

The cold hard fact is we have signed one player, nearly signed and probably signed don't count