Wolves vs Newcastle United pre-match thread - 01/10/11 @ 3pm

Beren

Guest johnson293

I can see a few bookings in this game,  Kelvin Henry will be tasked to kick lumps out of Cabaye i reckon.  Still think we have too much for them,  0-2 i see it going.

Nah, could see him trying to (stupidly) have a go at Tiote, who doesn't need to do much to get booked anyway, and try and wind him up into a couple of cards.

Hope I'm wrong!

I think the strength of our bench might see us nicking games like this one. If the first 11 don't get us in the driving seat knowing Ben Arfa and Marveaux are primed and ready on the bench gives you confidence that we can turn a game around at any time with a flash of magic.

Didn't realise there was an international break after this. Fuck's sake.

I'm similar to other people in that, the law of averages says we're due a defeat. There's not a great deal about Wolves that really frightens me, though. We should get a draw.

It's hard for Pardew to drop someone, but I can see 4-4-2 not working again like at QPR. If that is the case, I hope he gets the subs on early.

Wolves matched Liverpool by the sounds, so it should be a good test of the lads.

International break again, oh eff off!

Want to hope we'll trash them, but have this realistic feeling as knowing this fucking club we'll probably lose this one. Everything has been going way to good so far.

Be more than happy with a draw to be honest as long as we keep winning at home.

expecting the same starting XI and it ought to be enough to get a result and we have a decent bench to change things as necessary. as for the international break it does has it's plus side for us, an extra couple of weeks for santon,ben arfa and marveaux to get fit and if santons fit, pardew may be more tempted to play him for raylor following a break as opposed to waiting for a defeat or very poor performance.

Didn't realise there was an international break after this. Fuck's sake.

I'm similar to other people in that, the law of averages says we're due a defeat. There's not a great deal about Wolves that really frightens me, though. We should get a draw.

They've got a lot more tenacity and urgency in their harrying than the last two teams we dominated (Villa and Blackburn).

Will definitely be a sterner examination of us defensively and offensively IMO.

Didn't realise there was an international break after this. f***'s sake.

They've got a lot more tenacity and urgency in their harrying than the last two teams we dominated (Villa and Blackburn).

Will definitely be a sterner examination of us defensively and offensively IMO.

have they ? didn't seem like it against QPR and spurs. their display against QPR was  possibly the worst performance i've seen this season till blackburn last weekend.

Must confess Maddy, I didn't watch that game. Taking a broader view, the results and performances of theirs I have seen seem to suggest they're a bit like Everton in so far as they turn up against the perceived bigger teams/matches. Without sounding arrogant,  I think they'll see us as a big team (based on our lofty position in the table so far etc).

Tough one to call - they have some very decent players who can be a handfull on their day.

In past season's I'd have called a home win but our squad looks excellent at the moment and you get the feeling they'll be chomping at the bit to get back out on the pitch. I reckon we'll get a result.

Think he'll be cautious again and we probably set out as if we are playing man u away. We will probably see:

Krul

Simpson. Taylor.  Colo. Taylor

Obertan.  Cabaye. Tiote. Jonas

Ben arfa

Ba/best

Keegan probably would have gone:

Krul

Jonas.    Taylor.  Colo.    Santon

Obertan.  Cabaye.  Tiote. Marveaux

Ba.        Ben afra                             

4-4-2 will work with Ba because he comes deep and links midfield to attack, I'd like to see it again, with Ben Arfa possibly coming on if things don't work out.

They played quite well 2nd half at Liverpool and have a point to prove on the back of three losses. We need to be on our toes. Could be a very good game to watch, just hope we come out on top.

4-4-2 can make midfields stodgy, but Tiote and Cabaye are dynamic enough to make it work, as a tactics nerd it's good to be reminded that it's the players and how they operate that matter more in a way. If we're bossing midfield with 2 having 2 upfront is a good idea, we are able to play great footy that way, and I don't think it's especially conservative of us to play what works, it's sensible especially when it's hardly us scraping through with it.

When we play Man U, definately hope we can have the 3 man midfield, but also really press up against theirs. It's become clear that Man U still have the same weakness as last season with a midfield with little invention and a defence that don't like it up them. Still would expect them to knock plenty of goals past us, but I'd like us to swashbuckle and go for it. (know diversion just think that this wanting to rush Ben Arfa to that working in the hole position isn't necessary yet, especially against wolves)

Guest WashyGeordie

No need to start Ben Arfa yet imo. Give him half an hour, leave the rest of the team unchanged (with Santon maybe coming in if fit).

I wouldn't even bring him on with Henry on the pitch.