Newcastle United 2 - 2 Tottenham - 16/10/11 - Post-match reaction from page 40

Dave

First game I'd been too in a while. What a game to choose. 2nd half was amazing.

Shola was brilliant and great to see HBA

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/just_boy_uk/fa3b55e2.jpg

Great feel around the place yesterday which was lovely.

Thought the atmosphere was better inside but still a shame that more people feel to shy or unwilling to have a bit sing.

I sit bang in the middle of the Leazes and just wish a few more would join in and really get the place rocking. I understand it's not for everyone but loads of "youth and twenty somethings" around me who just want to sit in silence. Shame.

Thoroughly enjoyed the game and a draw a fair result.

Who else sighed when Shola came on?  :-)

Having watched the goals on Motd2, excellent running from Ba to be in the right place for the goal.

Daughter dragged me to some place called Frateris or something and got me on cocktails. Thought they were just for girls but I must admit they were very nice.

Overall a very happy bunny and can't wait for next week.

Guest hatem garrincha

From Redknapp after the match :

<<"I don't want to be disrespectful to Newcastle, but if they finish in the top four, Alan Pardew should be made manager of the year, for sure.

"I'm not saying it's impossible - nothing is impossible. But if you are asking my honest opinion, it's going to be very difficult.

"Liverpool are strong, Arsenal will come back, Tottenham are strong, and Manchester City, Manchester United and Chelsea, well... >>

Redknapp is pretentious here.

His team wasn't stronger than NUFC which completely dominated the last twenty minutes and really deserved a win yesterday

Maybe "it's going to be very difficult" for Newcastle to finish in the top four but from what I've seen yesterday, it's not going to be less difficult  for the Spurs.

"I don't want to be disrespectful to Newcastle, but if they finish in the top four, Alan Pardew should be made manager of the year, for sure.

"I'm not saying it's impossible - nothing is impossible. But if you are asking my honest opinion, it's going to be very difficult.

"Liverpool are strong, Arsenal will come back, Tottenham are strong, and Manchester City, Manchester United and Chelsea, well...

His team wasn't stronger than NUFC which completely dominated the last twenty minutes and really deserved a win yesterday

Maybe "it's going to be very difficult" for Newcastle to finish in the top four but from what I've seen yesterday, it's not going to be less difficult  for the Spurs.

When people start with lines like that, it's usually exactly what they are trying to do.

<<"I don't want to be disrespectful to Newcastle, but if they finish in the top four, Alan Pardew should be made manager of the year, for sure.

"Liverpool are strong, Arsenal will come back, Tottenham are strong, and Manchester City, Manchester United and Chelsea, well... >>

Redknapp's comments like those above really irritate me.  Yes, it will be very difficult for Newcastle to finish in the top 4 but the pundits in the media aren't suggesting that.  Some in the media are saying Spurs could/can/will but that still doesn't make them any more likely to finish in top 4 than Newcastle.  It's going to be very difficult for any team bar City, United and Chelsea.

Can't honestly agree that Newcastle deserved to win though.  For all your possession and pressure Newcastle didn't create many chances, I thought a draw was a fair result, even though I was happy  to hear the final whistle.  If there had more time there was only going to be one winner, but there wasn't, so the draw a fair result imho.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2049920/Alan-Pardew-continues-inspire-Newcastle--Martin-Samuel.html#ixzz1b2MjbccD

Martin Samuel in Daily Mail today being positive for a change

The noisy 50,000 urge Pardew to go fourth and believe as Newcastle continue to surprise

By Martin Samuel

Last updated at 11:38 PM on 16th October 2011

Several clubs ago, when he was last a Premier League manager, Alan Pardew had a colour chart with the names of the 19 other clubs on the changing room wall.

He divided them into three categories. There were the ones that had to be beaten, home and away, to ensure survival. He set a minimum target of four points from six for those in the middle. Then there was the elite: any point from those matches would be considered a job well done.

Perhaps he has moved on in the intervening six seasons. Maybe that old sheet of paper has been consigned to the bin. If it hasn’t, maybe it will have to be. The targets and expectations with which Pardew began the season may have to be reconfigured.

Tottenham Hotspur have come and gone and Newcastle United remain intact, in fourth place. There was no come-uppance, no unfortunate day of reckoning. Tottenham took the lead, twice, and Newcastle returned fire. They could have won the game near the end.

Few believe it can last, probably not even Pardew deep down, yet this is no time for self-doubt.

If Newcastle were aiming for the top three, that would be different. They are as far removed from the might of Manchester City, Manchester United and Chelsea as Mike Ashley is from a lead role in Geordie Shore.

Yet, fourth place is not like that. Not this season, anyway. Fourth place is for the wannabes, for the nearly men, for the not quites, for the over-achievers. Fourth place is up for grabs, with everyone from Liverpool to Stoke in the mix.

Newcastle have arguably the weakest squad of any team in the top seven, but they have home gates of more than 50,000, a good manager and a team who know how to scrap for a point, as Sunday proved.

Pardew has changed the mood and narrative of the club from one of rolling crisis to positive forward motion. That is no mean feat; and after eight unbeaten games it is more than a decent platform for improvement.

It may prove the worst  mistake Pardew could make. There is no greater millstone than the curse of high expectation, as he has discovered more than once in his career.

The moment Newcastle’s board and supporters feel settled in fourth place, the pressure on the manager will be intense. Pardew does not have a group of players with Champions League pedigree; he is getting exceptional performances from unexceptional footballers and with limited funds.

Investment is needed. Each weekend could bring the pop of a bubble bursting and a slide every bit as accelerated as Newcastle’s rise. Yet, until he hears that sound, Pardew has to run with what he has got. And that is an unbeaten team, with a superior goal difference to all bar the top three, and two points more than Liverpool who, never forget, took the man perceived to be Newcastle’s best player midway through last season.

It is testament to Pardew’s wit as a coach that Andy Carroll has not been missed and that he has somehow fashioned as many goals — 11 — from his motley collection of strikers as Liverpool have from a front-line that includes Carroll, Luis Suarez and Dirk Kuyt.

Newcastle have been tighter defensively than Liverpool, too, although few would back them to replicate Saturday’s result at Anfield when they finally come up against Manchester United on November 26.

The period between November 19 and December 3 is when Newcastle must hold their nerve. The fixtures fairy, which seems to have a particularly wicked sense of humour this year — ask Bolton Wanderers — sends Newcastle on back-to-back away trips to Manchester, first City then United, before bringing Chelsea to St James’ Park. It could bring Newcastle’s hopes and aspirations crashing to earth.

Yet as long as the margins do not get away from them, shattering confidence, what is there to lose? As Pardew privately admitted with his wall charts at Upton Park, there are some games in which any point is a bonus.

Fourth place, or a creditable finish with perhaps a return to Europe next season, will not depend on meetings with the Manchester clubs and Chelsea. Getting a point against Tottenham at home, a point against Aston Villa away, a win at Sunderland, a home victory over Fulham, these are the results that have made Newcastle an unlikely force this season.

They would all have scored high on Pardew’s wish-list of returns; and the longer this goes on, the more the locals will believe, and 50,000 believers make a formidable noise. As momentum builds so trips to Tyneside will grow increasingly daunting.

Certainly, there was fervour around the late exchanges in Sunday’s game, which made up for a pretty dismal first half. It was like one of those boxing matches in which both fighters realise in about the ninth round that they have to do something, or risk losing on points. Late on, they went toe to toe, first Tottenham on top and looking good for a third goal, then Newcastle rallying.

Neither team looked capable of laying a glove on this season’s elite three, but that is fourth place for you. Any club in the top 10 might fancy their chances of finding clear water and a fair wind.

‘I think English football is crying out for a different club to win one of the blue riband events, or break the monopoly of the big four,’ said Pardew. ‘I think people are willing us to do it. They know the game cannot go on like this.’

That was five years ago and he was talking about West Ham and their new Icelandic owners. Not all stories have happy endings. We are not on the last page of the one about Newcastle, though; so for the time being, keep an open mind.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2049920/Alan-Pardew-continues-inspire-Newcastle--Martin-Samuel.html#ixzz1b2MjbccD

Not bad from Samuel, the fat cunt, but I'd certainly dispute the assertion that we have 'arguably the weakest squad in the top 7'. Perhaps one of the smallest, yes. Lacking in quality, no. Certainly not in comparison to the likes of Stoke anyways.

Not bad from Samuel, the fat c***, but I'd certainly dispute the assertion that we have 'arguably the weakest squad in the top 7'. Perhaps one of the smallest, yes. Lacking in quality, no. Certainly not in comparison to the likes of Stoke anyways.

only area we are lacking decent backup is defence imo. we have marveaux and ben arfa on the bench! that should show that we have depth

"I don't want to be disrespectful to Newcastle, but if they finish in the top four, Alan Pardew should be made manager of the year, for sure.

"Liverpool are strong, Arsenal will come back, Tottenham are strong, and Manchester City, Manchester United and Chelsea, well...

When people start with lines like that, it's usually exactly what they are trying to do.

Aye, but what he said wasn't even disrespecting us at all.

Not bad from Samuel, the fat c***, but I'd certainly dispute the assertion that we have 'arguably the weakest squad in the top 7'. Perhaps one of the smallest, yes. Lacking in quality, no. Certainly not in comparison to the likes of Stoke anyways.

only area we are lacking decent backup is defence imo. we have marveaux and ben arfa on the bench! that should show that we have depth

But we have Obertan in the Starting XI ;)

spurs play vdv as a winger

Brian Scott (Tottenham Hotspur fan) says...

The ref was atrocious. Fouls committed by Newcastle United players, nothing given Tiote with the most dirtest foul of the game could easily have seen a different colour with the foul on Modric. Modric was bundled over and the ref who I certainly not the biggest fan of Lee Probert gives a freekick to Newcastle United lmao comedy it should have been a freekick to Spurs on the half-way line. Penalty decision got that right but Taylor should have had a yellow card for bringing Ade down in the box nothing given, and that is not often I have said about Mr. Probert as he gave 4 pens against Spurs last season and for once gave a pen to Spurs as Taylor certainly was no where near the ball. For all you Newcastle United fans to criticise that decision needs their eyes tested it was a pen and could easily have resulted in Taylor given his marching orders only the touch by Adebayor away from goal saved Newcastle United from even more embarrassment, had Taylor or Newcastle United lost a man you would have ultimately lost the game end of story. Newcastle United might have deserved a point for their desire, effort commitment and determination but Spurs should never have thrown away a 1-2 lead when there was pratically only 4 minutes plus stoppage time left Parker shooting a clearance high wide and up in the air to give it straight back to a Newcastle United player and them to storm straight into attack and present a ball to Ameobi who for me should have been closed down much quicker before unleashing a shot that was left with no chance by Friedel to save no goal-keeper would have saved it it was planted into the corner of the net. Newcastle United rode their luck when the score was 1-2 had Adebayor passed the ball to Defoe who was wide open in front of Krul's goal ie Newcastle United goal the game would have been effectively over as Defoe would have been 1-on-1 and he rarely misses from distance unless the ball is ahead of him.

My eyes and brain hurt.

Guest hatem garrincha

Agreed. Plus Santon and some very good youngsters (Sammy, Abeid, Vuckic)

I also bet Marveaux will be the PL revelation this year.

spurs play vdv as a winger

He was on the wing against Liverpool like but he's usualy behind the striker(s)

Night and day when Ben Arfa and Santon came on for Best and Simpson, we were a completely different team. Hopefully much more of the same.

:lol: some people will stop at nothing to acknowledge a good performance by our 'figures of hate' :undecided: another shocking statement.

imo, Santon showed more positive qualities in 15 mins than Simpson did in 75. I saw it, with my own eyes, it happened, imo

I completely agree with you DrV, I thought the Santon switch was an astute decision at the time (Bale looked to be getting more space against a flagging/stretched Simpson) and Santon is not exactly short of attacking flair.

My post to HowK was about his steadfast refusal to acknowledge Shola's contribution, crediting the change in performance solely to Ben Arfa (and Santon) instead...because they're 'cool' players

Fair do's man,Shola was fucking unreal like

Night and day when Ben Arfa and Santon came on for Best and Simpson, we were a completely different team. Hopefully much more of the same.

:lol: some people will stop at nothing to acknowledge a good performance by our 'figures of hate' :undecided: another shocking statement.

imo, Santon showed more positive qualities in 15 mins than Simpson did in 75. I saw it, with my own eyes, it happened, imo

I completely agree with you DrV, I thought the Santon switch was an astute decision at the time (Bale looked to be getting more space against a flagging/stretched Simpson) and Santon is not exactly short of attacking flair.

My post to HowK was about his steadfast refusal to acknowledge Shola's contribution, crediting the change in performance solely to Ben Arfa (and Santon) instead...because they're 'cool' players

Fair do's man,Shola was f***ing unreal like

He was, sucks that we can't get that Shola even three times a season. Its always one great game and then 25 average ones with a possible goal from a penalty.

he is getting exceptional performances from unexceptional footballers

Load of shite and just really any excuse to have a pop.  Fat west ham wanker can't write an article without having sly digs at us.

We have a good selection of quality players, we wouldn't be fourth otherwise.  Krul, Santon, Colo, Tiote, Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Jonas, Ba etc all "unexceptional"?  Don't think so.

Guest elbee909

he is getting exceptional performances from unexceptional footballers

Load of shite and just really any excuse to have a pop.  Fat west ham wanker can't write an article without having sly digs at us.

We have a good selection of quality players, we wouldn't be fourth otherwise.  Krul, Santon, Colo, Tiote, Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Jonas, Ba etc all "unexceptional"?  Don't think so.

He's very good at the reverse.