Newcastle Utd vs Wigan Athletic pre-match thread (22/10/11 @ 3pm)

WarrenBartonCentrePartin

Clearly going to drop points now that everyone in the country is expecting us to smash them.

:thup:

Is it safe to say that, this match is just as much of a test as Spurs was? It's been a long, long, long while since we've been anywhere near this level of favourites for a match. Can Pards and the players live up to it?

Newcastle United v Wigan Athletic stats:

• Ryan Taylor has scored four goals in this fixture, all while playing for Wigan.
  • There have been four goals scored in the final five minutes of the last four meetings between Newcastle and Wigan.
  • Newcastle are unbeaten in 11 consecutive PL games for the first time since August 1997 (W5 D6).
  • Steven Taylor has blocked more opposition shots than any other player in the Premier League this season (14).
  • Wigan have won just one of their last 12 Premier League trips to play the three north east teams (W1 D5 L6).
  • Wigan have lost their last five Premier League games in a row, their worst run since November 2007
  • Only Wolves (6%) and QPR (7%) have converted a lower percentage of shots in to goals than Wigan (9%).
  • Wigan have only scored seven goals in their last nine Premier League matches and just three in their last six matches away from home.
  • Newcastle have the joint-best defence in the Premier League conceding just six goals so far, along with two clubs from Manchester.
  • The Magpies' defenders have cleared five shots off the goal-line this season, more than any other team.

i hate to say this.....but when you see those stats, you start to realise what dalglish was doin back in 1997.  He must have believed championships were won from the back.  Which is very bizarre, him being a striker by trade, but he must have some footballing brians in there.  Shame he made some bad mistakes en route.

[maybe even some football brainz too]

We have players waiting to get their chance, such as ben arfa, marveux, santon etc, im pretty sure pardew wont allow any of our players in the starting 11 to get complacent and will do a professional job on saturday. The players seem to be aware that if they dont perform they will loose their place soon enough...

i see they have cash turnstiles untill 2pm at reduced prices, must be expecting a low crowd.

It's just for the NW Corner for seats they don't put on General sale for reasons known only to themselves. It's a good idea letting fans in early for a fiver less because they'll make the shortfall back in beer sales. Bought an extra ticket off my season ticket earlier for a mate who's decided to travel down from Scotland for it and the rest of the stadium looks almost sold out. Couldn't get him a seat anywhere near mine. Even with Wigans tiny following I think we'll see our biggest crowd of the season tomorrow.

What are the prices?

I just paid £25 for the seat in the Gallowgate but that was off my ST and I think it's a quid more on general sale. The cash turnstiles tomorrow in NW Corner are £20 for adults which is very reasonable. You couldn't get into many (if any ) Championship grounds for that price.

What are the prices?

I just paid £25 for the seat in the Gallowgate but that was off my ST and I think it's a quid more on general sale. The cash turnstiles tomorrow in NW Corner are £20 for adults which is very reasonable. You couldn't get into many (if any ) Championship grounds for that price.

Cheers.  Really tempted to drive up for the game now.

What are the prices?

the £20 is only if your there before 2 btw.

Just been to buy my ticket... £26 + £1 booking fee (didn't realise they did this in the shop too)

I always buy a ticket in block L2Q in Leazes End.... normally I have the choice of loads of seats, but there were only 2 seats available in this block. Obviously the attendance will suffer due to Wigan bringing about 500 fans.... but hopefully there wont be many empty seats in the home areas.

Really looking forward to the match! I've gone for Ba FGS.

What are the prices?

Get yersell up for it man! Playing some great stuff at the minute and £20/£25 to watch the likes of Coloccini, Cabaye, Tiote, Ben Arfa etc is a bargain! It's great leaving the pub at 2.45 with a spring in your step really looking forward to the match instead of going as a sense of duty when you'd really rather just stop in the pub. Long may it continue!

Even Lawro is saying we're going to win

I'm worried now, somethings bound to go wrong sooner or later and its this type of fixture usually where things go wrong

:thup: If Lawro says we win, it's not going to happen. Fucking dick. He knows what he's doing.