On This Day... Personal Memories

TheGuv

You can pinpoint the start of our demise to the second. It all began when Gravesen did that tackle on Bernard.

This. Absolutely this.

aye but more so for that season. as for where we are i'd say woodgate sprinting to the east stand touchline to keep the ball in from our attack..........for partizan to break and score has had a longer lasting effect.

tell the truth though i think the leadership of fred and doug would only end either of two ways. sell out or leeds.

http://nufc.com/html/2003-08-27partizan-h.html

10 years. Never been the same

What times, though. We were a big club that time.

Well, we still are somehow, but not in the same way.

No - compared to then, we are a WELL-SUPPORTED club, but not a big club.

We have been run down until we are now just one of the teams that make up numbers although we shouldn't be. Blame Ashley & Co for that, although Shepherd was responsible for our lack of signings before that game.

Our penalties were absolutely rotten as well.

Aye, and as much as I love Laurent Robert, the sight of him sitting in the centre-circle barefooted, still not having taken a penalty, while Aaron Hughes stepped up as our 7th-8th taker or whatever, was a disgrace.

Our penalties were absolutely rotten as well.

Aye, and as much as I love Laurent Robert, the sight of him sitting in the centre-circle barefooted, still not having taken a penalty, while Aaron Hughes stepped up as our 7th-8th taker or whatever, was a disgrace.

IIRC Robert fluffed one at home to Everton in the League Cup and we went out.  Probably was his excuse.

5 years ago today. Wow.

It's been downhill really since this day.

Kevin Keegan confirmed that he had left the club after a few days of uncertainty:

"I’ve been working desperately hard to find a way forward with the directors, but sadly that has not proved possible.

"It’s my opinion that a manager must have the right to manage and that clubs should not impose upon any manager any player that he does not want."

The club responded with this statement:

"Newcastle United Football Club is sad and disappointed that Kevin Keegan has resigned.

"Over the last few days the Club has devoted itself to the discussions it has held with Kevin and as a result of those discussions had put together a set of practical suggestions for how to move forward.

"Today the Club made it clear to Kevin that if he had any outstanding concerns on its proposals, he should raise them with the Club.

"The Club regrets that Kevin has, instead of taking up that offer, chosen to resign."

• 2 months later...

Was flicking through an old match programme and saw this. Does anyone rember when Brown Ale went through a face of selling on tap?

The bars at the bottom man. Does anyone else remember Bar Oz? :lol:

http://img01.beerintheevening.com/df/dfc86b0df8b9819828bfe70f916db047.jpg

564419_10152045813171303_2011227885_n.jpg

If we ever won something, I would hate not to be there. But, having said that, there is something to going absolutely bonkers in your living room. I haven't done it for years, mainly because I don't have Sky and any Newcastle game that has made it to free TV isn't that special.

The ones that stick out are Shearer against Germany at Euro 2000, Beckham against Greece (can remember walking up to the Tele and pointing to where he was gonna put it, and he did) and Shearer against Chelsea in 2004. There were other occasions where I went barmy, obviously, but those ones stick in the memory.

Definitely the most I've ever celebrated watching the game at home on the box like. Felt like I'd double dropped for about a half hour after, physically couldn't sit down.

Same, was unbelievable. But there was selfishly also this strong nagging feeling of being gutted I wasn't there. Never was going like, my mam wouldnt have me missing school for a match (my dad would and tried). I ended up busting up with my boys club over that game too, they had training on that night and I refused to go, got dropped. No way I was missing the match. Great commentary when you find the clip too. I can never hate Bellamy when I remember that.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a personal memory but happened on this day...pretty interesting.

1992 Ascoli (Italy) (h)

0-1 (0-0)

Anglo Italian Cup

Bierhoff(63)

David Kelly was sent off in this exceptionally violent game after launching a pre-emptive strike as an Italian player homed in on him.

Keegan and a policeman had to restrain the Ascoli coach who made a grab for Kelly as he headed down the players tunnel.

The Newcastle manager later commented "If I ever get like that, shoot me." He also refused to fine Kelly for being dismissed.

German striker Oliver Bierhoff scored the only goal of the game, while future Sheffield Wednesday, Villa, Derby, smoggies and Bradford schemer Benito Carbone featured.

1992 Ascoli (Italy) (h)

0-1 (0-0)

Anglo Italian Cup

Bierhoff(63)

David Kelly was sent off in this exceptionally violent game after launching a pre-emptive strike as an Italian player homed in on him.

Keegan and a policeman had to restrain the Ascoli coach who made a grab for Kelly as he headed down the players tunnel.

The Newcastle manager later commented "If I ever get like that, shoot me." He also refused to fine Kelly for being dismissed.

German striker Oliver Bierhoff scored the only goal of the game, while future Sheffield Wednesday, Villa, Derby, smoggies and Bradford schemer Benito Carbone featured.

:lol:  was at that, there was a canny barney in front of the milburn paddocks.

1992 Ascoli (Italy) (h)

0-1 (0-0)

Anglo Italian Cup

Bierhoff(63)

Was at that game, remember it all kicking off. Also remember this fat as fuck bloke in a suit running on to the pitch with their physio, he was huge.

http://i3.chroniclelive.co.uk/incoming/article1357275.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/alan-shearer-races-off-to-celebrate-after-beating-everton-keeper-richard-wright-with-a-thundering-shot-595709643-1357275.jpg