St James' Park

Dave

Last week an official statement was put on the Northern Rock intranet site (as in the internal, company only internet site and not the external internet website) explaining that they had decided to end their sponsorship of NUFC. They exercised an option which allowed them to do this. They said they talked to NUFC in May 2011 about it. It was Northern Rock's decision. People who work for Northern Rock can read the statement. Anyway, if Northern Rock is sold over the next year, which is a possibility, it could well be renamed by whoever buys it (e.g. Virgin Money) so all the shirts could have ended up with a sponsor that doesn't exist any more.

Last week an official statement was put on the Northern Rock intranet site (as in the internal, company only internet site and not the external internet website) explaining that they had decided to end their sponsorship of NUFC. They exercised an option which allowed them to do this. They said they talked to NUFC in May 2011 about it. It was Northern Rock's decision. People who work for Northern Rock can read the statement. Anyway, if Northern Rock is sold over the next year, which is a possibility, it could well be renamed by whoever buys it (e.g. Virgin Money) so all the shirts could have ended up with a sponsor that doesn't exist any more.

Thanks for that bit of info.

Colocho:

Nothing new apart from saying it was a decision made by Northern Rock on financial grounds.

Northern Rock has ended its sponsorship deal with Newcastle United early, the BBC has learned.

The £10m deal was renewed in January last year and was due to last four years.

It included a clause allowing the bank to get out after two years, which it has now taken up. It is understood the decision was made on financial grounds.

On Thursday, the club announced its ground St James' Park was being renamed the Sports Direct Arena.

Newcastle-based state-run bank Northern Rock said the end of the sponsorship was nothing to do with the stadium name change, but following a change in the way it spends money on marketing.

In the last few years, Northern Rock has ended its sponsorship deals with Durham County Cricket Club, basketball outfit Newcastle Eagles and rugby union side Newcastle Falcons.

Neither Northern Rock nor Newcastle United would be interviewed on the decision.

'Different way'

But in an interview with BBC Newcastle on Thursday about the stadium name change, Newcastle United managing director Derek Llambias said they were looking for a new shirt sponsor.

He said: "I need to find a new shirt sponsor by the end of December - and that's the latest.

"Puma need to put the shirt sponsor on, they're manufacturing, and they would like it last month.

"I've got a very small window to sell the shirt and naming rights and, if I have to sell them separately, then I have to sell them separately."

Newcastle United, who are currently third in the Premier League, said a change to the Sports Direct Arena was a prelude to securing a new global sponsor which would generate more revenue.

It said the club could generate up to £10m a season by attracting a joint shirt and stadium sponsor.

But the announcement about the stadium rename was greeted with anger by fans.

Labour leader Ed Miliband urged Newcastle United to abandon plans to rename its ground.

The Labour leader said football clubs were owned not just by individuals but their supporters, and that given the "overwhelming" opposition of fans the club had a responsibility to find a "different way forward".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-15699182

No official comment from Northern Rock as such really.

Its so gonner be sports direct  :lol:

Guest johnson293

Apolgies if this is mentioned already/elsewhere on here, but on Total Sport last night, they were talking about the stadium/kit sponsor stuff, and Nike were mentioned, then the presenter said he had just been told that the Puma deal still had two years left.

Anyone know if this is true? Thought it was originally only a two year deal, and thus due to expire next summer... unless its just been renewed, hence the red puma's going up on the stand fascia?

Apolgies if this is mentioned already/elsewhere on here, but on Total Sport last night, they were talking about the stadium/kit sponsor stuff, and Nike were mentioned, then the presenter said he had just been told that the Puma deal still had two years left.

Anyone know if this is true? Thought it was originally only a two year deal, and thus due to expire next summer... unless its just been renewed, hence the red puma's going up on the stand fascia?

Surely the club would have communicated this? They did when Puma took over from Adidas in any case...

don't toy with my emotions!

Llmabias mentioned Puma when talking about getting a new shirt sponsor, he said they need to be notified asap in order to start designing the shirt. I thought it was two years as well, guess not.

Re: the red puma logos on the east stand, we wouldn't be putting them up if they weren't there for the long term. Just like the sports direct logo next to them, which i'd bet my left nut will be there next year as well as on the front of our shirts.

I know it's been done to death, but no brand worth a bean would want to be associated with the shower of shite that run our club. And nobody in his right mind would pay millions to name a stadium that isn't brand new. As people will always call it by the old name. Like it or not we're stuck with sports direct.

Nike would be sweet like, though the Nike Arena is only surpassed by Sports Direct Arena in terms of shitness...

If they buy the naming rights they can call it what they like ..

"Nike @ St James park"

Looks like we could have Virgin Money on our shirts soon. Branson's just bought out NR for 747mill!

Pretty sickening news to wake up to. Not simply because we're losing money on the deal, but it just feels like another local icon being tossed onto the scrapheap.

Guest Roger Kint

Looks like we could have Virgin Money on our shirts soon. Branson's just bought out NR for 747mill!

Which ties in with me being told NR won't be on our shirts come January 1st.

Where did it say Jan 1st? Its end of the season isnt it

Guest Geordiesned

The NR takeover would negate any sponsorship deal I would have thought so we could be running out with either no sponsor on our shirts or another Sports Direct freebie to "showcase" it to potential sponsors for the next few games!

Guest Roger Kint

The NR takeover would negate any sponsorship deal I would have thought so we could be running out with either no sponsor on our shirts or another Sports Direct freebie to "showcase" it to potential sponsors for the next few games!

Northern Rock is a two part company and Virgin Money are only buying half. Theres a good chance we will continue to have NR on our shirts til May unless they chose to sever it early surely?

Even though the sale of the bank will only be complete on January 1st it will still take quite a few months to complete the rebranding which should see us to the end of the season. That means we could still have Northern Rock on our shirts until the end of the season as there will still be Northern Rock branches, or we could simply just be given a new sponsored shirt to wear from January with Northern Rock ones still be sold.

I remember a few years ago when XL went bust, West Ham just ironed on new sponsors over the old XL ones and sold them like that. It wouldn't surprise me if thats what we do, though it could mean that some people will be able to get this seasons shirt fairly cheap if they just sell them off.

Which ties in with me being told NR won't be on our shirts come January 1st.

Where did it say Jan 1st? Its end of the season isnt it

I was told Jan 1st

Northern Rock is a two part company and Virgin Money are only buying half. Theres a good chance we will continue to have NR on our shirts til May unless they chose to sever it early surely?

No chance, we are sponsored by the bit thats been bought by Virgin Money.

Guest Roger Kint

Can't see any other outcome than Sports Direct on the shirts for next season ATM. The effect on shirt sales will be horrendous I would have thought.

Some idiot will be along saying it doesnt matter as they dont make much according to Llambias. Obviously a large drop in sales would cost a fair bit though as the shirts cost money to make and supply so its likely SD on them will cost the club a fair wedge.