Greatest Newcastle XI?

LooneyToonArmy

Guest Howaythetoon

There are some great books about the clubs history and the City Library contains every single Chronicle ever printed, on their computers, so every match report can be read and every reporting of the club basically. I used to stay there on hours reading and printing these reports, I wish I still had them, I'd post them up.

There was a great report about the 52 FA Cup final which was famous because the ball apparently went out of play as it mades its way into the box where we scored from, and that lead to massive debates about the need for technology etc. It was eventually proved by the very biased Chronicle that the ball hadn't crossed the line.

They were massively critical of NUFC mind. They used to have a writer called Novacastrian or something and he basically once said every single director should resign and all players should leave following a relegation once, they used to demand inquests and everything. Can you imagine it today?! Too shit scared of being banned :lol:

They had a fans letter page too, 2 pages, and some of the stuff man, very knwoledgeable fans indeed. There was one fan who wrote in about Hughie needed a bigger striker alongside him to rough up the defenders who used to rough him up and that the club would do well to sign such and such.

That's the worst thing I've ever read in my life.

This moron has clearly never seen Hudspeth play.

And you did ? ? ? ?  ;D :iamatwat: :p

which was famous because the ball apparently went out of play as it mades its way into the box where we scored from, and that lead to massive debates about the need for technology etc. It was eventually proved by the very biased Chronicle that the ball hadn't crossed the line.

I think we've had more than our fair share of blatant bias AGAINST us from every media type - and anyways - because it was proven it didn't cross the line (and if I recall didn't the players concerned get VERY annoyed over the fact that it hadn't crossed the line ?) why does this somehow mean the Chronicle report was biased ? Wasn't this 1932 final anyways ?

There was the occasion in 1932 when the ball was supposed to have crossed the line. But if you actually watch the incident on telly NOW - it looks like it was crossed ON the line, and remember the ball has to be COMPLETELY over the line. The "evidence" in the papers looked blatantly altered to make it look as if it HAD crossed the line.

Guest Howaythetoon

That's the worst thing I've ever read in my life.

This moron has clearly never seen Hudspeth play.

And you did ? ? ? ?  ;D :iamatwat: :p

which was famous because the ball apparently went out of play as it mades its way into the box where we scored from, and that lead to massive debates about the need for technology etc. It was eventually proved by the very biased Chronicle that the ball hadn't crossed the line.

I think we've had more than our fair share of blatant bias AGAINST us from every media type - and anyways - because it was proven it didn't cross the line (and if I recall didn't the players concerned get VERY annoyed over the fact that it hadn't crossed the line ?) why does this somehow mean the Chronicle report was biased ? Wasn't this 1932 final anyways ?

There was the occasion in 1932 when the ball was supposed to have crossed the line. But if you actually watch the incident on telly NOW - it looks like it was crossed ON the line, and remember the ball has to be COMPLETELY over the line. The "evidence" in the papers looked blatantly altered to make it look as if it HAD crossed the line.

You might be right about it being 32, yeah. As for the Chronicle's bais, they were very Northern in their views of the South in their reporting and clearly cared little for Souhern clubs at the time, based on some of their reports anywa, like "the dirty Arsenal." Dirty, in 32? :lol:

Back then we were the mighty Newcastle by the way in match reports by other media outlets. Everton were defeated by the mighty Newcastle United for example. We were the kings of England in the 20s and the media darlings in the 50s for our FA Cup exploits.

A known fact - passing through Sunderland on the way home with the FA Cup, mackems applauded our success and many rooted for us in those finals, such was the North/vs South or other areas divide.

Mind, in those days your grandad would go and watch the mackems at Roker Park when we were on the road and vice versa, it wasnt until the 60s when rivalry become sinister and hate fuelled, it was always gentlemanly before that. Mind, the rivalry off the pitch and away from football has been there for centuries.

• 2 years later...

In my lifetime:

GK - Given

RB - Beye

CB - Albert

CB - Woodgate

LB - Enrique

RW - Solano

CM - Lee

CM - Beardsley

LM - Ginola

CF - Ferdinand

CF - Shearer

Subs: Krul, Coloccini, Gascoigne, Robert, Asprilla, Bellamy, Cole

Manager: Can't decide between Sir Bobby or Keegan. No doubt if the King was in charge he would find a way of cocking it up.

There have been some great, great players at NUFC and many of them would probably get into the team I selected before my selections but I wasn't old enough to see many of them...Gallacher is a case in point, undoubtedly a fantastic striker especially as he was so small physically.

However, here goes;

Marshall

D.Craig

A.Kennedy

I.Nattrass

R.Moncur

J.Scoular

R.Lee

J.Milburn

M.Macdonald

P.Beardsley

R.Mitchell.

4 guys from our great 50s cup teams,2 from the 69 Fairs Cup winners, 1 who went on to score a winner in the European Cup Final and 4 who SHOULD have won medals with the club...Supermac and Nattrass in our 76 LCF side and Beardsley & Lee from our 95/96 title challengers.

Hard to leave out players like Shearer, Brennan, Walker, Cowell and Tony Green...come to think of it, I would probably have a fit Green in Beardsley's place but Beardo played for us for far longer.

I was only a young lad when we won the Cup in the 50s but as the selection is from your lifetime, this is it.

If it was from 1960s onwards the selection would obviously be different, but I'd LOVE to have seen this side play when all the players were at their peak..think of the goals from Jackie and Supermac, the crunching tackles by Scoular and Moncur with the wizardry of Bobby Mitchell and Beardsley ...mouth-watering.

Krul

Beye  Woody Colo  Bernard

Batty  Cabaye

Nobby              Robert

Pedro

Big Al   

Bobby managing that team, man.

Given

Beye Colo Woodgate Enrique

Solano Cabaye Speed Robert

Ben Arfa

Shearer

Subs:

Krul

Albert

Dyer

Beardsley

Ginola

Cole

Ferdinand

Bellamy

Blimey this was tougher than I thought.

SBR Director of Football, Keegan as manager

I first started following NUFC in 1994, when I was 10 years old.

Given

Debuchy      Woodgate    Coloccini      Enrique

Solano        Speed          Cabaye      Robert

Shearer      Bellamy

From 1998.

Guest TruToon94

In my lifetime (1994 onwards):

Given

Barton          Woodgate    Albert    Bernard

Solano          Lee              Speed    Robert

Shearer      Ferdinand

Before my time would obviously include the likes of Moncur, Lawrence, Milburn, Gallagher and Gaza. Far too many to name.

Guest firetotheworks

The most productive would probably be

Given

Beye

Woodgate

Coloccini

Enrique

Solano

Lee

Beardsley

Robert

Shearer

Ferdinand

But my favourite is the one in my sig.

Guest firetotheworks

Surprised so many have Woodgate. Didn't think he was there long enough to warrant a place in the best 11, though he was sublime before going to Madrid.

He made that much of an impact. Same with Beye, but to a much lesser extent.

Guest antz1uk

best XI i have seen live

Given

Beye

albert

colllocini

beresford

robert lee speed gazza

beardsley

shearer

far too many great strikers/forwards to fit them all in, beardsley is out of position there but he has to be in

cole ferdinand on the bench

Guest Number 37

Surprised so many have Woodgate. Didn't think he was there long enough to warrant a place in the best 11, though he was sublime before going to Madrid.

For me he is the best defender I've ever seen at SJP, strolled around the pitch like he owned the place. It may have been brief, but he should be in there.

Far too hard to pick but putting Bellamy in before Beardsley is utterly ridiculous. There was thread like this on RAWK, an awful lot had Beardsley and Alan Kennedy in their team. Many had Terry Mac in, though we didn't see the best of him, same with KK. If we can leave them out of our sides we must have had some players. Bellamy wasn't fit to lace Beardsley's boots (or Ferdinand's for that matter).

Guest Howaythetoon

In terms of the player being the best in their respective position in terms of individualism and not number of games etc.

Given

Beye

Woodgate

Colocini

Enrique

Lee

Speed

Beardsley

Ginola

Shearer

Cole