Greatest Newcastle XI?

LooneyToonArmy

The midfield is getting tough to pick for my lifetime as a fan

Lee, Speed, Robert, Ginola, Hatem, Beardsley, Solano.

Struggle to make a decision. Rest is quite an easy choice for me, no doubt over the front two of Ferdinand/Shearer.

Disclaimer: That I've seen, and taking into account only NUFC performances and especially proven team/positional harmony.

Given

Venison  Howey  Albert  Enrique

Gillespie  Lee  Speed  Robert

Shearer  Beardsley

Surprised so many have Woodgate. Didn't think he was there long enough to warrant a place in the best 11, though he was sublime before going to Madrid.

For me he is the best defender I've ever seen at SJP, strolled around the pitch like he owned the place. It may have been brief, but he should be in there.

Same, amazing defender.

He was a very classy defender who was capable of the odd gaff, and raised the game of whoever was charging next to him, without ever being much of a leader. Certainly someone you'd want in your side, but he's overrated on here. I've seen it said that he was better than Rio and Terry which is utter, utter guff.

Guest plumsteadmag

Hooper

Serrant

Quinn

Marcelino

Dumas

Gavilan

Fumaca

Cordone

Guivarch

Luque

Chopra

Subs - Elliott, Caldwell, amalfitano, goma, bramble, shearer (97-98 only), Robinson.

Manager - Pardew with souness as disciplinarian and allardici as nutritionist

Guest plumsteadmag

Yep my bad...

Given

Debuchy

Woodgate

Dabizas

Beresford

Lee

Cabaye

Robert

Beardsley

Cole

Shearer

Subs - Krul, colo, ginola, tino, cabaye, ferdinand

Guest Howaythetoon

We've had so many great players but not so many great teams. 2 in my lifetime and even then they were not that great as to be the best. One day, one time, someone will get it all right and we will be the best or greatest.

Guest firetotheworks

Can't believe people can make a team without Tony Green.

From what I've heard about him, if I'd seen him he'd be in there. I was born in '84 though so I'd be talking out of my arse if I put in a player that I've never actually seen.

So many people rave about him though, he sounds incredible. I've read or heard "like Beardsley but even better" a few times.

Can't believe people can make a team without Tony Green.

From what I've heard about him, if I'd seen him he'd be in there. I was born in '84 though so I'd be talking out of my arse if I put in a player that I've never actually seen.

So many people rave about him though, he sounds incredible. I've read or heard "like Beardsley but even better" a few times.

Green was a fantastic player - we were struggling in season 71/72 when Joe Harvey signed him that November for a ridiculous 140,000 plus Keith Dyson. We also had Supermac in his first season but Green transformed everything. His lightning pace over the first 5 yards that left other midfielders and defenders for dead and his wand-like right foot made him a joy to watch and his all action style & enthusiasm used to get the crowd roaring with anticipation when he started his runs.

We stayed up easily after being bottom when he signed and the biggest tragedy was his cruciate ligament injury caused by a Mel Blyth assault(I won't dignify it by calling it a tackle)at Crystal Palace early in the following season. In those days, that was curtains and although he tried to come back it was no good.

I always thought we would not have lost the 1974 FA Cup Final the way we did had Green been playing for us and we could well have won, such was the effect he had on teammates .

I selected Beardsley over him in my selection purely because Beardsley played for us twice totalling almost 7 years at the club as a player whereas TG only played 38 times...had he played for us longer, I would have selected him instead of Beardo.

The more and more I reminisce on Beardlsey and look at some highlight reels, he really does seem 'better than Messi' at dribbling, whilst Messi leaves him for absolute dead for Pace. The way Beardsley can just walk through an entire defence without breaking a sweat.. brilliance. So naturally gifted, a la Le Tissier but for different reasons.