Greatest Newcastle XI?

LooneyToonArmy

Good to see a few people rightly putting Laurent in there. Best winger we've ever had.

Utter balls. Good player but to suggest he was better than Chris Waddle is astonishing.

I didn't. :)

You're back!

i know its hard to pick players that you've never seen but when you are picking the greatest NUFC of all time you have to go back in history and players like Milburn etc are obvious picks but the first name on the list has got to be Colin Veitch.  The captain and best player during NUFC's golden period in its history. 

Veitch captained the successful United side which won League Championships in 1905, 1907 and 1909, the FA Cup in 1910 and were FA Cup finalists in 1905, 1906, 1908 and 1911.

Well said.

Reminded me on to reset my Avatar to the picture of the great man.

For that period of time in the Edwardian era, we actually were "the greatest team the world had ever seen"

i know its hard to pick players that you've never seen but when you are picking the greatest NUFC of all time you have to go back in history and players like Milburn etc are obvious picks but the first name on the list has got to be Colin Veitch.  The captain and best player during NUFC's golden period in its history. 

Veitch captained the successful United side which won League Championships in 1905, 1907 and 1909, the FA Cup in 1910 and were FA Cup finalists in 1905, 1906, 1908 and 1911.

much more than just a footballer aswell. 

http://www.colinveitch.co.uk/

My only real memory of Chris Waddle is meeting him with at the Sheff Wed training ground in the summer of '96 as a 10-year-old. I couldn't tell you the first thing about him as a player.

In which case you aren't qualified to state whether any player is the best we've ever had. As the rest of us. :lol:

During his career at Newcastle, Veitch played successfully in almost every position except goalkeeper. A one-time schoolteacher, he introduced the idea of using a blackboard to illustrate and develop tactics diagrams in pre-match planning and post-match analyses.

I knew this :snod:

Guest firetotheworks

Scott Sellars, incidentally is criminally under rated, he had a lovely left foot, and with Pedro and Rob Lee, helped create Andy Cole's goals feat .

Aye, Ruel Fox as well for me. No one seems to have rated him.

Scott Sellars, incidentally is criminally under rated, he had a lovely left foot, and with Pedro and Rob Lee, helped create Andy Cole's goals feat .

lovely player, but I always felt too easily robbed of the ball, lacked strength. never forgotten for the free kick in the rain.

edit- that attack was something else tho

Guest Howaythetoon

Based on being the best players as individuals first that I've seen:

Shay

Beye

Colo

Woodgate

Enrique

Solano

Lee

Tiote

Ginola

Shearer

Beardsley

That side, managed by either KK or Sir Bobby, would probably win the league at some point.

Best based on their ability, longevity and what they did for the club, that I've seen:

Shay

Barton

Colo

Albert

Beresford

Solano

Lee

Speed

Robert

Shearer

Beardsley

That side would probably challenge for the title under Sir Bobby or KK.

Regarding Hughie Gallacher, when I was researching about him for a book I planned to write (:lol: I know) I read every single match report of our games in which he featured and his articles (he wrote several columns for several papers) there were reports of beating 5 players on a jinky run, lobbing the keeper from 30 yards, left footed goals, right footers, towering headers and all sorts. He was quite a physical player too and obviously lightening quick going by these reports. He used to get kicked to fuck mind and often brawled with players. He was one of the first players to ask for more protection from refs and the FA. He perhaps sums up NUFC best.

His life was quite amazing and a tragedy too. I never saw him play but when he was sold there were town meetings to oust the board, talks of boycoutts, the lot. Given that the 'demonstrations' were in an age without the web, mobile phones and social networking sites and even fanzines I think it speaks volumes of just how much this guy meant to fans and just how upset people were.

The mackems tried to sign him and said something like "I cannot possibly play for them" or words to that effect. He basically laughed at them and although the rivalry back then was more gentlemanly, we were stil rivals none the less.

His return with Chelsea drew our biggest ever crowd and there were countless reports of much much larger crowds than the recorded 67K, one reporter even said 100K. Remember back then gates were downplayed because the away side would get 15% of the total figure.

As a player I dont think there has ever been a bigger legend at NUFC or someone who has made such a huge impact and been such a huge success as Wee Hughie. He lead us to titles and was until Wor Jackie, the greatest goalscorer in our history. He also once bange din 39 league goals. He statstically outscored most during his era, an era when big bsutling centre-forwards not little quick guys, dominated frontlines up and down the country.

When he first made his debut, running out, there was huge gasps from the crowd, they couldn't believe such a small striker was going to score the goals the fans and team demanded, given previous strikers were burly and physical and that verey other side had such a striker.

He was even banned by the Scottish FA once because he put club before country and players were going to strike on his behalf if he wasn't reinstated.

The likes of Mario Ballatelli, Tino et al have nowt on this guy, but unlike those and players like them, he was a good guy, a fantastic professional and lived up to his potential.

Sadly alcohlism grabbed a hold of him and he ended his own life.

He's my own personal Toon legend or hero even though I never saw him play. For me, he tops the lot.

Guest Howaythetoon

Didn't know this though :kasper:

Along with his team mate Bill McCracken, Veitch developed the 'offside trap', a defence tactic that was so successful it eventually led to an FA rule change.

The running joke when opposition players got off the train and a whistle blew "bloody hell, they've caught us off-side already" or words to that effect. We had the meanest defence in the league and those two were tactically way ahead of the game.

NUFC has played a huge part in many of the advances in our game, we were also heavily involved in the development of the play-offs for example.

Guest Howaythetoon

By the way, our own fans used to throw fruit at the team and boo if they didn't play well or score goals or were not involved in exciting games. A fruit stall used to do a roaring trade outside SJP on a match day. This was late 18 hundreds I think. Mind, this wasn't unique to us, a lot of fans at other clubs did similar.

I cant remember who the player was exactly but he was abused so badly by the crowd once he said he could never play for for us again and was quickly transfer-listed :lol:

I think players and sides have it far easier today. Ironically, players of years gone by, earned less than many a fan and often got on the same bus to the match as fans, but cross that white line and do not play well or work hard enough for the shirt and you get dogs abuse.

By the way, our own fans used to throw fruit at the team and boo if they didn't play well or score goals or were not involved in exciting games. A fruit stall used to do a roaring trade outside SJP on a match day. This was late 18 hundreds I think. Mind, this wasn't unique to us, a lot of fans at other clubs did similar.

I cant remember who the player was exactly but he was abused so badly by the crowd once he said he could never play for for us again and was quickly transfer-listed :lol:

I think players and sides have it far easier today. Ironically, players of years gone by, earned less than many a fan and often got on the same bus to the match as fans, but cross that white line and do not play well or work hard enough for the shirt and you get dogs abuse.

Love this stuff, also love how people all through the ages are pretty much the same. They just find new ways to express themselves

Very interesting posts there HTT :thup:

It is such a shame that our best period of history 1900-1912ish and the 1920's were way before television and games being recorded every week.

I think there is the odd viedo out there of us playing in the 1920's though and our famous 2 tunnels that we used to have. One for the home side and one for the away side

Guest Howaythetoon

We as fans used to be quite vicious apparently. Even Hughie Gallacher himself thought "what the fuck" when he entered the pitch to groans and moans from the stands, all because of his size. This a player who was our record signing, an international and with a proven record of scoring goals (albeit in Scotland with lesser sides).

I think back then, life was really tough for the majority and although going to the match wasn't a massive financial burden, people needed a release more than today so entertainment was the be all and end all, even above success it seems. Even back in the late 1800s, fans demanded good attacking football and if that wasn't delievered there would be hell on, to the point some players, simply had to leave because of the abuse.

Remember back then, fans were far closer to the players in terms of where they were placed near the pitch and indeed in and around the streets after the game with players sharing the bus with fans, drinking in the same establishments and in Wor Jackie's case, working with fans down the pits, so they were more than within earshot of abuse.

"Here man, ya fucking shit lad, wor lass would dee better" or words to that effect, was once labled at Wor Jackie :lol: