Greatest Newcastle XI?

LooneyToonArmy

People were getting frustrated with Robert near the end of his time here (myself included). Though guess that was down to Souness and his terrible management skills. The one thing that really annoyed me about Laurent though was his unwillingness to track back.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

I think we're going a bit overboard on the Laurent love-in like. He had one or two good seasons, but for a wide player allegedly blessed with speed and trickery he very rarely (if ever) used to go past the opposing full-back. Are we being blinded by his awesome YouTube compilations? He certainly scored some good goals, but let's be honest he's nowhere near one of our grestest ever players, and never reached the impact and general brilliance of ginola's first season

My non-British or Irish XI: 

Srnicek

Beye - Albert - Coloccini - Enrique

Solano - Hamann - Cabaye - Ginola

Martins - Asprilla

Could fudge the attack to include Robert though.

Robert's first 3 seasons were superb. Absolutely superb.

:thup:

But like Michael said:

Was on the decline at that point. Which was a shame as he was unstoppable at his best. Supreme player.

It is a shame how his career here just went downhill in the 2004/05 season. Certainly on his day, Robert was one of the best wingers in the country.

I think we're going a bit overboard on the Laurent love-in like. He had one or two good seasons, but for a wide player allegedly blessed with speed and trickery he very rarely (if ever) used to go past the opposing full-back. Are we being blinded by his awesome YouTube compilations? He certainly scored some good goals, but let's be honest he's nowhere near one of our grestest ever players, and never reached the impact and general brilliance of ginola's first season

Robert was directly involved in about a third of our goals in his first season. How much impact did you want in his first year?

Guest NobbyOhNobby

I still stand by what I said like, Robert was good but not all time best toon xi good

Do you think Solano deserves to be there instead? If so, why?

I'd potentially go for nobby due to a lack of candidates for right-mid. Off the top of my head I can only think of Gillespie and Dyer from my era, maybe Beardsley when he was played slightly out of position when shearer and ferdinand were up top. My issue with Robert is that I just don't think he was as good as ginola or even waddle

I still stand by what I said like, Robert was good but not all time best toon xi good

Do you think Solano deserves to be there instead? If so, why?

Solano's and Robert's goal and assist stats are very very similar over the same time period.  I thought both players were exceptional - but they had very different styles.  So to say one was markedly better than the other is very difficult.

It's not difficult. Robert scored more goals and did pretty much everything a little bit better than Nobby. Far better away from home, too.

Quick check on wiki says Solano scored 45 goals for us, while Robert managed 30.

Obviously in goals to games ratio Robert wins hands down. #SadPedant

It's not difficult. Robert scored more goals and did pretty much everything a little bit better than Nobby. Far better away from home, too.

Not according the Premier League official stats he didn't.

2001/02

Robert - 36 starts - 16 assists, 8 goals

Solano - 31 starts - 11 assists, 7 goals

2002/03

Robert - 27 starts, 5 assists, 5 goals

Solano - 37 starts - 5 assists, 7 goals

Pretty similar stats.  And I would argue that Solano had a better all-round game ie tracking back. tackling etc.  In addition, Solano was far more important in terms of the way he linked our play together.  So I am not sure it is accurate to say Robert did pretty much everything a bit better than Solano.

Because I haven't got time to go through the matches in the first half of 2003/04 and work out what Solano's contributions were.  I can list Robert's stats if you would like.

Robert - 35 games - 7 assists, 6 goals.

It looks like Solano played 12 games for us and 10 for Villa.  Don't think he scored any goals, but made 5 assists.  Could have been all for us or all for Villa.  Not sure what this really adds though.  For the 2 full seasons that they played together for us - their stats were pretty much identical.

And - as I said earlier, Nobby's overall contribution to the team was greater.

In the time they were both at the club, Robert scored more goals, got more assists and was a key component in us 'defending from the front' along with the likes of Bellamy and Dyer through demonstrating terrific pace on the counter-attack.

Anyone who thinks Solano's contribution outweighed Robert's at this time simple wasn't going to the games.