Greatest Newcastle XI?

LooneyToonArmy

Good to see a few people rightly putting Laurent in there. Best winger we've ever had.

I'd take issue with that. IMO both Ginola and Waddle were had better all round games and if you ask older folk they'll tell you that Shackleton was the best and when you look at his stats it's hard to disagree. Six on his debut and my dad often recalls being there when he sat on the ball on the touch line (I was there when Wharton also sat on the ball), he tells me he was an absolute genius.

was anybody else at Ginolas debut vs Coventry :lol:  fkin unreal football that day.

Proper opening day weather. Sir Les scoring from the touchline too IIRC.

aye, but Ginola man- danced some of thier players inside out :lol:  first game in the completed stadium i think, too

was anybody else at Ginolas debut vs Coventry :lol:  fkin unreal football that day.

Proper opening day weather. Sir Les scoring from the touchline too IIRC.

aye, but Ginola man- danced some of thier players inside out :lol:  first game in the completed stadium i think, too

Can't remember that at all tbh and aye it was. The first time I remember thinking Ginola was a beast when he tore Neil Cox several hundred new arseholes v Smogs.

Guest VaVaVoom

In my life time...

---Given---

Watson---Woodgate---Coloccini---Enrique

Solano---Lee---Tiote---Ginola

Shearer---Ferdinand

Hard to leave Robert, Albert, Tino and Beardlsey out though.

My football memories unfortunately begin properly at the Dalglish era.

Given

Beye - Woodgate - Coloccini - Enrique

Solano - Tiote - Lee - Robert

Shearer - Bellamy

The longer Robert was with us the bigger his good game: bad game ratio became.

Very talented and on his day a match winner but when he couldn't be arsed, he was a waste of time.

For me, his best game was one of his first, at Boro away when we crushed them 4-1. Scored one and made the other three.

Of the last 30 years, it would be:-

Given

Watson                                                                                          Beresford

Woodgate                  Albert

Lee

Solano                                                                                            Waddle

Gascoigne

Beardsley                Shearer

The longer Robert was with us the bigger his good game: bad game ratio became.

Very talented and on his day a match winner but when he couldn't be arsed, he was a waste of time.

For me, his best game was one of his first, at Boro away when we crushed them 4-1. Scored one and made the other three.

You'll get that with maverick geniuseses though. I remember him making 4 against Breda, the two goals against Tottenham, and the overhead backheel volley against Fulham as particular favourites. I could forgive his Gallic shrugs for those moments.