Gary Speed (1969–2011)

Dokko

The Shearer interview is a really tough listen.

just listened to it now and it definatly is, the bits about Alan's wife being upset and how gary's dad followed him everywhere and were really close especially. As much as it hurts us as fans, you can't help but feel for his family and friends moreso, can't begin to imagine what their going through right now.

Alan Shearer says he is still numb and in shock over the sudden death of his friend and former Newcastle United team-mate Gary Speed.

In an emotional interview on BBC Radio 5 live Shearer said: "This just doesn't happen to one of your best mates.

"I was with him on Saturday afternoon arranging next weekend. He was coming up with his wife to stay at my house.

"I left the studio, shook his hand and said 'see you next weekend'. Unfortunately I won't.

"[On Saturday] he was happy, joking, we were having the normal mickey taking that we do out of each other and having a laugh and joke about golf trips and holidays that we went on together last year.

[...]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/15929414.stm

cheers m8,for audio link...

"When I arrived at Newcastle, him and Dietmar Hamann always looked out for me on the pitch. If they saw certain defenders looking like they were out to get me, they'd make a series of tackles that would make them understand they were supporting me. It's an image that will stay in my head. The solidarity that emanated from the man."

- Louis Saha. :(

"When I arrived at Newcastle, him and Dietmar Hamann always looked out for me on the pitch. If they saw certain defenders looking like they were out to get me, they'd make a series of tackles that would make them understand they were supporting me. It's an image that will stay in my head. The solidarity that emanated from the man."

Great quote.

Great quote.

Class from Speedo and Hamman... Great quote from Louis. Seems Speed touched so many people in the game. So sad :(

What would people say the iconic Speed moment was at NUFC?

For me it was the critical goal v PSV at home in the UEFA Cup Quarter Final. I didnt realise until today that it was actually his last goal for us. Great two legged tie, the second half of the second leg attacking the Gallowgate with bubbling atmosphere.

Really thought we were going to win it, after that game.