Gary Speed (1969–2011)

Dokko

How about making a special shirt like we did for Sir Bobby in the Ipswich match a couple of years ago, with Speeds name and a tribute printed on the front and profits go to Sir Bobbys charity? Might have already been suggested but it would be a nice gesture.

Rumour doing the rounds at work that he was about to be exposed for having a gay affair sounds bollocks but anyone heard anything similar? Hope we do somthing else as well as a one minutes silence.

Shut the fuck up. Jesus fucking wept.

Hate rumours like those going around, but inappropiately enough I would really like to know what destroyed a fantastic human being like Gary Speed. Just can't get my head around it. Unbelievably sad and unbelievably frightening.

I think speculation about anything, whether it be a press story, depression or anything else, is distasteful either way because it assumes you know something a man's life and death which might be completely untrue and unfair.

Two or three years ago, two friends of mine walked home after a night in the pub, said their goodbyes when they got to her house and she went inside. The next morning, she was found at the bottom of the stairs, apparently having hanged herself from the banister. The friend who had walked her home was devastated for days, moreso because he thought he could have done something or said something that could have prevented her taking her own life and her family too bore the brunt of trying to understand why they hadn't noticed this deep depression that she must have been in. When the coroner's report came, she had actually been suffering from an unknown medical condition and a complete freak set of circumstances had caused her death to appear to be a suicide which wasn't the case at all.

I think we'd all be better off waiting for the results of the inquest, which begins tomorrow, before speculating one way or the other.

I think speculation about anything, whether it be a press story, depression or anything else, is distasteful either way because it assumes you know something a man's life and death which might be completely untrue and unfair.

Two or three years ago, two friends of mine walked home after a night in the pub, said their goodbyes when they got to her house and she went inside. The next morning, she was found at the bottom of the stairs, apparently having hanged herself from the banister. The friend who had walked her home was devastated for days, moreso because he thought he could have done something or said something that could have prevented her taking her own life and her family too bore the brunt of trying to understand why they hadn't noticed this deep depression that she must have been in. When the coroner's report came, she had actually been suffering from an unknown medical condition and a complete freak set of circumstances had caused her death to appear to be a suicide which wasn't the case at all.

I think we'd all be better off waiting for the results of the inquest, which begins tomorrow, before speculating one way or the other.

Wow. Gut-wrenching story to read mate.

Freddy was in control of the club when Speed made the £5.5m switch from Everton in 1998. Today he said: “Gary was a Geordie at heart and he’s one of the nicest and most genuine men I have ever had the pleasure to meet.

“He meant a lot to the fans up here and I know he is well-loved on Tyneside. I saw him in June for a fundraiser for the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation and I also saw him in Portugal – he looked great, like he was on top of the world.

“I heard about his death on the news and I think it’s incredibly tragic. I worked with him for many years at St James’ Park and I know he did not want to leave Newcastle United when he was eventually sold.

“He was a talented, professional and an incredible man – his death is a tragic loss to football and to everyone who knew him. My thoughts are with his family.”

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/evening-chronicle-news/2011/11/28/alan-shearer-leads-tributes-to-gary-speed-72703-29855779/#ixzz1f1XjTpON

Does this man have no shame in the lies he tells? Sir Bobby wrote in his book that Shepherd sold him behind his back against Sir Bobby and Speeds wishes and replaced him with Nicky Butt after Fred refused to pay £3m for Carrick. Lying cunt.

Freddy was in control of the club when Speed made the £5.5m switch from Everton in 1998. Today he said: “Gary was a Geordie at heart and he’s one of the nicest and most genuine men I have ever had the pleasure to meet.

“He meant a lot to the fans up here and I know he is well-loved on Tyneside. I saw him in June for a fundraiser for the Sir Bobby Robson Foundation and I also saw him in Portugal – he looked great, like he was on top of the world.

“I heard about his death on the news and I think it’s incredibly tragic. I worked with him for many years at St James’ Park and I know he did not want to leave Newcastle United when he was eventually sold.

“He was a talented, professional and an incredible man – his death is a tragic loss to football and to everyone who knew him. My thoughts are with his family.”

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/evening-chronicle-news/2011/11/28/alan-shearer-leads-tributes-to-gary-speed-72703-29855779/#ixzz1f1XjTpON

Does this man have no shame in the lies he tells? Sir Bobby wrote in his book that Shepherd sold him behind his back against Sir Bobby and Speeds wishes and replaced him with Nicky Butt after Fred refused to pay £3m for Carrick. Lying c***.

Eh? Where's the lie?

Guest Howaythetoon

Speed was interviewed in between his move to Bolton and he categorically stated he was gutted to be leaving and that it came out the blue. To be fair to FS he did say 750K for a player coming towards the end of his career was fantastic money. Mind I also remember Sir Bobby saying something along the lines of that wouldn't buy Speed's boot laces or something :D Typical Sir Bobby. I seem to recall he was actually quite angry about that sale and it probably started a snow-ball effect because that sale could have been the first step in the board taking away Sir Bobby's full control of affairs or one of the steps. That was such a weird summer. We were losing our midfield general, the likes of Dyer were throwing the armband around, refusing to play, the stupid tour of Asia, the eye disease thing and then our start to the season and the culinating sacking of Sir Bobby and the hiring of Souness. In a sense at least Speed cannot be tarnished by the following dark days. His time here was by and large a huge success with 3 top 5 finishes, cup semis and a final, European footy, CL footy, goals and quality performances.

I still can't get my head around this and guess I never will. What a tragic waste of a good life. He brightened up the lives of so many yet even those closest to him were unable to help, it doesn't seem right.  He had so many friends who must feel shit about all of this and they shouldn't. Speed and Sir Bobby are the two people who have represented us and never let us or the club down at any time and in any way. I hope his send off on Saturday is fitting, a minutes silence then let's lift the roof as he was a top, top man.