Gary Speed (1969–2011)

Dokko

Well texting he will take his life four days before should have given her some hint also sleeping in the car wont help a troubled soul.

Rubbish, my wife would piss herself laughing if I told her I was going to kill myself.

Ridiculous that someone would bring in their opinions on marriage in this thread, as if it can be blamed in such a blasé fashion with absolutely no understanding of what really went on between these two people.

Nobody can blame any of his family for this, I'm sure if any of them thought he was going to kill himself then they would have stopped him.  It doesn't matter what was done or said in an argument, taking his life is way over the top, if he meant it.

The family are going to struggle to get over this, in fact they probably never will and people pointing fingers at any of them is s*** and a measure of the person or persons doing it.

Well texting he will take his life four days before should have given her some hint also sleeping in the car wont help a troubled soul.

Rubbish, my wife would piss herself laughing if I told her I was going to kill myself.

Mine would be asking where i kept the life insurance policies.

Died by hanging, he possibly didn't mean to take his life.

I should point out that that's the verdict.

what do you mean? He didn't mean to take his life???

Coroner, "the evidence does not sufficiently determine whether this was intentional or accidental".

I imagine it's considered inconclusive due to many people 'setting up' but not actually going through with it, with the intention just to cause shock/get attention. And with no note, you can't prove otherwise. It's a smidge irrelevant tbh.

Coroner, "the evidence does not sufficiently determine whether this was intentional or accidental".

Thanks but how can it be an accident? Don't mean to be disrespectful but he was playing around with a rope and accidentally strangled himself???

Thanks but how can it be an accident? Don't mean to be disrespectful but he was playing around with a rope and accidentally strangled himself???

Pathologist told inquest if Gary Speed had sat on step with ligature even falling forward or asleep couldd cause instant death.

Entertainment's not the word I'd go for like.

Well you know what I mean, something private that is played out in public for the general population to digest via their TVs and newspapers. I suppose it does provide exposure for the issue of depression, which is a good think.

At the end of the day the insurance company he likely took out his life insurance with would have been wanting a straight old suicide verdict thus avoiding paying out.

Don't know where this would leave them. How can you accidently put a rope around your neck and hang yourself?

At the end of the day the insurance company he likely took out his life insurance with would have been wanting a straight old suicide verdict thus avoiding paying out.

Don't know where this would leave them. How can you accidently put a rope around your neck and hang yourself?

exactly i dont understand it. could they mean that deep down he didn't want to? what are they basing that on?

at that moment in time, he did want to do it

otherwise could you not argue this with murders? "he did it, but he didnt really want to"

not wishing to compare the two, just a bit confused by this verdict

I half wish that this could have been done in private, I don't really see why it needs to be public entertainment. Guess it's the nature of the beast, but I still find it a bit uncomfortable.

I know what you mean, but I believe Coroners Inquests are always public. I may well be wrong about that though.

Aye they probably are, just famous ones get the press attention. Guess they have to be for reasons of transparency etc, I just hate to see the family having to go through this in the media. Obviouslu it would be unbearable even in private, but still seems worse somehow.

They would generally pay out anyway provided the suicide occurs after the first anniversary of the date the policy was taken out. At least that's the way the ones the company i worked for for 15 years were worded. There may be some exceptions of course.

exactly i dont understand it. could they mean that deep down he didn't want to? what are they basing that on?

otherwise could you not argue this with murders? "he did it, but he didnt really want to"

The verdict is fairly easy to understand.  The Coroner accepts that he probably wanted to take his life when he climbed the steps but might have changed his mind while thinking about it but something may have gone wrong which caused the outcome.

The verdict is fairly easy to understand.  The Coroner accepts that he probably wanted to take his life when he climbed the steps but might have changed his mind while thinking about it but something may have gone wrong which caused the outcome.

sounds like a load of crap to me.