Gary Speed (1969–2011)

Dokko

It'll likely never make sense. We'll never truly know what was going on inside his head. Absolutely tragic, the way things like this can happen to anyone, no matter their situation in life or apparent outward personality.

RIP Gary

It is tragic, the family will have it all to go through again tomorrow and that's probably the saddest part of it.  Every one of them will once again be wondering what they could have done better to have prevented it, in reality they probably couldn't have done a thing.

I could stand here another 10 minutes and talk about Gary Speed. I just want to give him the accolade that he deserves. He'll be a miss. He'll be a miss in the dressing rooms, he'll be a miss in the training room, he'll be a miss in the restaurants, he'll be a miss on the planes, on the buses. In every concept of that boy coming in to play football for Newcastle and departing, he will be a miss.

I could stand here another 10 minutes and talk about Gary Speed. I just want to give him the accolade that he deserves. He'll be a miss. He'll be a miss in the dressing rooms, he'll be a miss in the training room, he'll be a miss the restaurants, he'll be a miss on the planes, on the buses. In every concept of that boy coming in to play football for Newcastle and departing, he will be a miss.

Bobby?

I could stand here another 10 minutes and talk about Gary Speed. I just want to give him the accolade that he deserves. He'll be a miss. He'll be a miss in the dressing rooms, he'll be a miss in the training room, he'll be a miss in the restaurants, he'll be a miss on the planes, on the buses. In every concept of that boy coming in to play football for Newcastle and departing, he will be a miss.

Bobby?

Yeah

I could stand here another 10 minutes and talk about Gary Speed. I just want to give him the accolade that he deserves. He'll be a miss. He'll be a miss in the dressing rooms, he'll be a miss in the training room, he'll be a miss the restaurants, he'll be a miss on the planes, on the buses. In every concept of that boy coming in to play football for Newcastle and departing, he will be a miss.

Bobby?

Takes a special one to know another. RIP Sir Bob and Gary. Two of the very best men to ever be associated grace with this club.

I honestly don't think I've ever experienced such a feeling of sadness and confusion (at the same time) when this happened. A wonderful guy and a wonderful footballer; he had so much ahead of him in life and in the game.

Something else that's so desperately sad, yet admirable in a twisted way, is that it takes incidents like this to bring the sport (which is rife with issues, imo) together. Just an absolute tragedy. RIP.

It was so surreal.

What made it more real was seeing how it affected the likes of Carver and Given et all. It's strange seeing people you've always seen as 'strong' look so uncontrobally upset.

Still can't quite believe it one year on.

aye, absolutely heartbraking seeing given on the field in the state he was in.

a year, unbelievable.  Feels probably a couple of month ago tops.

RIP Speedo.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...