Gary Speed (1969–2011)

Dokko

I remember this day vividly. It was back when I was staying in London, and my "uncle" showed me the news right after the church service that morning. Even today, it is still a shocking story. It is odd to see the people you idolised during youth and adolescence be torn apart from within by their own demons. This is especially true, when they are as outwardly successful as Speed. I am happy that there has been no contrived "explanation" by the media or needless exposing of whatever negative stories the poisonous media can find or invent. The man and his family deserve better.

Guest firetotheworks

I've accepted that it happened now because it's been talked about at great length and I've thought about it so much that it's more of a focal point for thought than when he was alive.

Saying that, when it happened I felt physically sick for a while and couldn't sleep for days for thinking about it. No one has ever really drawn a line underneath why it all happened, but I think I stopped thinking about it when I realised that I probably wouldn't feel any better for knowing. Whatever the reason, the way that he died in contrast to our collective perception of him made it a lot harder to take.

I remember it like yesterday, I was absolutely dumbfounded.

There was a game on Sky and the presenter announced it and I just couldn't accept what I was hearing, it was simply unbelievable to me at the time.

It was like I was in shock and had denial, I just could not believe it was true.

Even hours later, I was sure it was some sort of horrible mistake or something.

Don't mind admitting it, it really upset me badly at the time, I was cut to bits.

Still hard to believe really

RIP Speedo

Guest Slippery Sam

Amazing how he has 2 or 3 songs now when he had none when he played.

Probably just me, but I find all this clapping a player's shirt number when the minute of the game is on as being rather cringeworthy.

Probably just me, but I find all this clapping a player's shirt number when the minute of the game is on as being rather cringeworthy.

What would you rather see done?

Guest Slippery Sam

Nothing. He's in our hearts forever. No need to show the world how cool we can be.

Nothing. He's in our hearts forever. No need to show the world how cool we can be.

Ah cool, that's what it was. Wish more players would die so we can applaud their shirt number to show our coolness to the world.

Guest Slippery Sam

Ah cool, that's what it was. Wish more players would die so we can applaud their shirt number to show our coolness to the world.

Good one.  You have no idea, so I'm off to bed.  Adios.

Good one.  You have no idea, so I'm off to bed.  Adios.

I don't mixed well with morons, has to be said. Night pet.

Just read through the first 40 or so pages of this thread again.  When these things happen, months and years pass and you get used to it, as cold as it seems your mind switches and fundamentally your first thought about Gary Speed is that he's dead and you don't (or I don't) often dwell on the monumental shock and confusion you felt when you first heard the news and in the days and weeks afterwards when what had happened began to sink in.

I still feel very shocked about the whole thing when I do dwell on it.  I had big issues with depression many years ago and have had a few bad patches since, but when I'm down I make sure every fucker knows about it, I go to the Doctors, I take time off work, I seek advice from friends and family.  I like to carry on like I understand depression more than most, and I certainly take it very seriously, but I can't for a moment comprehend a person going through such pain mentally and holding it all in, giving off an impression to the world of a happy, normal person and also appearing that way to close friends.

I suppose the main thing to remember is that he was a fantastic footballer and a lovely person, someone to really look up to in every respect.  But unfortunately he'll always be someone that's remembered just as much for the manner of his death, just because people are still completely bewildered by what happened.

RIP Gary - you were universally loved and respected, which is rare and special.

Just read through the first 40 or so pages of this thread again.  When these things happen, months and years pass and you get used to it, as cold as it seems your mind switches and fundamentally your first thought about Gary Speed is that he's dead and you don't (or I don't) often dwell on the monumental shock and confusion you felt when you first heard the news and in the days and weeks afterwards when what had happened began to sink in.

I still feel very shocked about the whole thing when I do dwell on it.  I had big issues with depression many years ago and have had a few bad patches since, but when I'm down I make sure every fucker knows about it, I go to the Doctors, I take time off work, I seek advice from friends and family.  I like to carry on like I understand depression more than most, and I certainly take it very seriously, but I can't for a moment comprehend a person going through such pain mentally and holding it all in, giving off an impression to the world of a happy, normal person and also appearing that way to close friends.

I suppose the main thing to remember is that he was a fantastic footballer and a lovely person, someone to really look up to in every respect.  But unfortunately he'll always be someone that's remembered just as much for the manner of his death, just because people are still completely bewildered by what happened.

RIP Gary - you were universally loved and respected, which is rare and special.

Great post

I still remember the feeling of shock and sadness now just as fresh as it was 2 years ago. Absolutely horrible. Everything about that day was just terrible. Finding out the cause of death, seeing the likes of Given breaking down etc. Just awful and it highlights just how important it is to raise awareness on depression and suicide.

I applauded him on 11 minutes out of respect for a great player who died well before his time, what's cringeworthy about doing that?

Also, why were people in level 7 doing it on 7 minutes?

Just watched him on that Football Focus for the first time. Crazy to watch that - knowing. People get talked up after death, but Speed genuinely seemed like such a good guy, as well as a great football servant. Though I never 'knew' him, you have a connection with someone you saw in the flesh at least every other week for ~7 years.

Remember being in awe of him when I was playing at Darsley Park as a kid and the ball rolled over by him, on a jog while he was out injured.

• 2 months later...

Just seen this in NUFC.com's 'On this Day' section....

1998 Gary Speed joined Newcastle for the then outrageous sum of £5.5m, after a "reluctant" Everton manager Howard Kendall had held out as United's offers increased.

• 9 months later...