Spain win Euro 2012

Stifler
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ireland hardly even have a 'youth development' set up. It's appalling. But people continue to wonder why the country cant produce any (consistent) talent. Yes, every once in a while a quality player emerges, but that's really not what you'd call a conveyor belt of high quality player production. I was saying to my mate today that Ireland must be the only team in the whole tournament without a player in their squad representing a club from their domestic league. That says it all.

Until serious thought and money is put into building club academies- because there aren't any proper academies affiliated with the domestic league clubs here, they would be no better than your average schoolboys team anywhere around the UK- it will continue to go around in circles of depending on English clubs who poach players at a young age to develop them and bring them through, or the English rejects who have an Irish grandparent. Depressing but true.

lovely idea in theory however the main problem will remain the hoover that is the english clubs taking the majority of the young talents, its hard to plan a youth system when suddenly you have premier league clubs offering these young guys the possibility of playing professionally which the Irish clubs for the most part cannot offer. The first step the only thing that should be focused on atm is finding some way to generate more interest in the League of Ireland to get crowds up. Its not that theres a lack of football fans over here but most wouldn't dare darken the grounds of one of the clubs. Hell even down here in cork, plenty of football fans yet only around 2500 would turn up at Turners Cross on average for a match out of a city that has around 200k people never mind the surrounding towns. If the domestic clubs can be improved then theres a chance to implement an organised youth system but until then they really are wasting their time.

also on Gaelic games in the north, The Gaelic football is the big one up there with only Antrim showing any competency in Hurling, must be a big enough interest in it since bbc northern ireland shows games on a semi regular basis

Right, I haven't read any posts here, but this is what Ireland is about. I went to the pub, we conceded goals like fuck. The pub died on it's arse, but only for a second, it began to lift and every Spanish goal was met with laughter because we were out and we didn't give a fuck, we were there. I went to another bar afterwards and the craic was fucking CLASS! The Irish turns were blasting, the tricolours were everywhere, there were a shit load of polish there, fuck me we just celebrated and enjoyed the atmosphere. It was incredible, one of the best nights out I've had at the hands of football was off the back of a 4-0 Ireland defeat. Fucking brilliant night, that is Ireland for you, we don't give an absolute fuck about the results now, we're enjoying our party. Bring on Italy!

A few of my friends were on SSN too in Poland, fucking legends!

also on Gaelic games in the north, The Gaelic football is the big one up there with only Antrim showing any competency in Hurling, must be a big enough interest in it since bbc northern ireland shows games on a semi regular basis

Interest in GAA or just hurling? The GAA is massive here, so is hurling in some parts, but no one watches the BBC, why would we? We rely on RTE and TG4 for our coverage just like you lot do. Also I'd wager Down's hurling team has a good enough standing up here, that might be because I'm a Down man, but Down are the only county to ever have 2 teams, and iirc we've done REASONABLY well for our setup.

Guest MrSundlofer

Newspaper "war" between Daily Mirror and Aftonbladet...

Made by Aftonbladet:

http://gfx.aftonbladet-cdn.se/image/14981701/496/normal/ede8f086745e7/mirroretta.jpg

Made by Daily Mirror:

http://gfx.aftonbladet-cdn.se/image/14981700/494/normal/a489f57d412e6/aftonetta.jpg

Guest MrSundlofer

...Also:

http://gfx.aftonbladet-cdn.se/image/14982321/334/normal/bf4e2bde066f9/sun.jpg

http://gfx.aftonbladet-cdn.se/image/14982325/334/normal/048fcf66a889d/daily.jpg

http://gfx.aftonbladet-cdn.se/image/14982327/334/normal/7cf3d998b389d/star.jpg

http://gfx.aftonbladet-cdn.se/image/14982333/332/normal/3ee46546a0fc0/etta2.jpg

I know the conversation was ages ago, but when discussing our favourite Euro's goal, I don't think anyone mentioned Shearer's header against Germany. How great was that? :smitten:

I did mention it. Or if I didn't, I wanted to mention it. :lol:

Was a German fan that time back, though. Ahh, little child.... :aww: :lol:

Right, I haven't read any posts here, but this is what Ireland is about. I went to the pub, we conceded goals like fuck. The pub died on it's arse, but only for a second, it began to lift and every Spanish goal was met with laughter because we were out and we didn't give a fuck, we were there. I went to another bar afterwards and the craic was fucking CLASS! The Irish turns were blasting, the tricolours were everywhere, there were a shit load of polish there, fuck me we just celebrated and enjoyed the atmosphere. It was incredible, one of the best nights out I've had at the hands of football was off the back of a 4-0 Ireland defeat. Fucking brilliant night, that is Ireland for you, we don't give an absolute fuck about the results now, we're enjoying our party. Bring on Italy!

Had someone on FB telling me we should give Roy Keane a job. I pointed out his was a shit manager. "How is he shit, he took Sunderland from div 1 to Premiership". It wasn't a makem that said this either.  :anguish: :facepalm:

For anyone looking to stream games on the go:

After giving its iPlayer the nod to stream programming content over mobile networks in the UK, the Beeb has decided to do the same with its BBC Sport mobile site. Not only will you be able to stream live coverage, like the current crop of Euro 2012 football matches, but also any existing video content that was previously desktop-bound. Hit up the source link to give it a try; you'll need Android 2.2 or higher or an iOS device that's packing version 5.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/15/bbc-sport-3g-live-streaming/

For anyone looking to stream games on the go:

After giving its iPlayer the nod to stream programming content over mobile networks in the UK, the Beeb has decided to do the same with its BBC Sport mobile site. Not only will you be able to stream live coverage, like the current crop of Euro 2012 football matches, but also any existing video content that was previously desktop-bound. Hit up the source link to give it a try; you'll need Android 2.2 or higher or an iOS device that's packing version 5.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/15/bbc-sport-3g-live-streaming/

It eats data alive Unfortunely, it used like 50mb in 8 minutes the other day.. I haven't got unlimited so it's pretty useless :(

Had someone on FB telling me we should give Roy Keane a job. I pointed out his was a shit manager. "How is he shit, he took Sunderland from div 1 to Premiership". It wasn't a makem that said this either.  :anguish: :facepalm:

I can see what Keane means about an underlying acceptance of failure though, although I enjoy the fun as well. He's a competitor and a professional sportsman who just saw his country be embarrassed at a major tournament, I wouldn't expect him to be happy.

From BBC:

Denmark striker Nicklas Bendtner faces a Uefa charge for improper conduct after revealing the logo of a betting company on the waistband of his underpants while celebrating a goal in the 3-2 defeat against Portugal. A Uefa statement confirms "proceedings have been opened by Uefa against Denmark striker Nicklas Bendtner for improper conduct".

:lol:

This also, interesting:

Mario Balotelli has lost his place in Italy's starting lineup after two disappointing performances at the European Championship, according to AP. Italy coach Cesare Prandelli says he wishes the 21-year-old forward well, "but he needs to improve and this is a change I have to make."

Thought he's done much better in his last game. Wonder what system they'll play now against the Irish.

Agree with both comments really.

They took him off against Croatia and had no decent focal point upfront. Looking at their striking options, I think I'd be playing 1 of him & Borini tbh :undecided: Wouldn't play Cassano/Gio/Di Natale together.