Spain win Euro 2012

Stifler
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Oh dear, are we talking about 2002?  :frantic:

:lol: You guys were so close. I was in Seoul with all the 'Be the reds' after the Portugal game. One of the most amazing experiences I have ever had.

:lol: You guys were so close. I was in Seoul with all the 'Be the reds' after the Portugal game. One of the most amazing experiences I have ever had.

Seoul was insane. People would jump on cars and break windows and the drivers would walk out and celebrate with them.

Nah, I'd say you can class 2010-2012 (i.e. del Bosque's Spain) as one, but Spain 2008 were a very different .

they were more fun, current spain is probably better in every possible way but hell at least then they seemed human and vulnerable which makes it more fun to watch. Watching a team which is so superior to anyone they face and then they take an absolutely no risk policy is not fun

Also i don't understand your last sentence, you know we're talking about 2008 onwards right?

You may be, but I'm most certainly not. They're not the same team and can't be judged as if they play the same way as they did 4 years ago.

Thank you, some people just dont understand. Different coach, different back four and different front three. If anything a bit different philosophy too. 

If you are going to say best team ever over the span of 4 years, then sorry, Ill do the same and say the Brazilian side which won 58, 62 and 70 was a lot stronger and their achievement a lot bigger as the 66' was a given had it not been for awful refereeing and no cards being given since it was introduced at the 70' World Cup. And this was over 12 years.

'66 was a given but for refereeing...?  Interesting.

Seoul was insane. People would jump on cars and break windows and the drivers would walk out and celebrate with them.

I wasn't too pleased with Korea that tournament, but after what came afterwards you're forgiven ;)

Also i don't understand your last sentence, you know we're talking about 2008 onwards right?

You may be, but I'm most certainly not. They're not the same team and can't be judged as if they play the same way as they did 4 years ago.

Thank you, some people just dont understand. Different coach, different back four and different front three. If anything a bit different philosophy too. 

If you are going to say best team ever over the span of 4 years, then sorry, Ill do the same and say the Brazilian side which won 58, 62 and 70 was a lot stronger and their achievement a lot bigger as the 66' was a given had it not been for awful refereeing and no cards being given since it was introduced at the 70' World Cup. And this was over 12 years.

Pele was absolutely murdered at the time against Bulgaria, was unable to play against Hungary and then against Portugal still a bit injured he was once again ''raped''. I sincerely believe that Brazil had a big chance of winning that World Cup. They had great player in Pele, Garrincha and up and coming players like Tostao and Gerson. Obviously, it wasnt a given, and it was probably Brazils weakest side during that 12 year span, but they still had a team capable of winning if they had had a fresh Pele.

I wasn't too pleased with Korea that tournament, but after what came afterwards you're forgiven ;)

:lol: What a gentleman. :lol:

Pele was absolutely murdered at the time against Bulgaria, was unable to play against Hungary and then against Portugal still a bit injured he was once again ''raped''. I sincerely believe that Brazil had a big chance of winning that World Cup. They had great player in Pele, Garrincha and up and coming players like Tostao and Gerson. Obviously, it wasnt a given, and it was probably Brazils weakest side during that 12 year span, but they still had a team capable of winning if they had had a fresh Pele.

Either it was a given or it wasn't a given.  You have to decide which option you are going for.

Either it was a given or it wasn't a given.  You have to decide which option you are going for.

Not a given then. Cheers. ;)

Guest Howaythetoon

This Spain side or rather the sides that has won the last 3 major tournaments they have participated in, surely have to be up there as one of if not thee greatest international sides of all-time?! For me personally they are not the most entertaining or even the most pleasing but they are by far the most efficient and most detailed in terms of possession football, taking their chances and getting everyone involved and playing, and with it winning games. They keep the ball so well they have developed their own unique way if you like which makes it almost impossible for the opposition to beat them be it in 90s minutes or even on penalties.

Regarding Brazil, I thought their 2002 side was hit and miss and even quite average at times, but very adventerous and entertaining with the mercurial talents and individualism of Ronaldo, Rivaldo and Ronaldinho in particular leading the way, all 3 at that very time, some of the best in the world.

The often maligned (in Brazil anyway) '94 side was a much better side for me. More European in style than Brazilian but far more effective, functional and just an all-round better side. It amazes me that that side is almost overlooked when it comes to the debates about the great Brazil sides given they actually won the tournament and played some really good football. I think the dour final and how it was won helps people forget about that side if you like. That side though is probably closer to this Spanish side than the Brazil of 02 and would for me give it a far better run for its money.

As for the notion that '94 was a weaker tournament, I disagree massively, 2002 was way weaker. '94 saw once average or overlooked sides like Bulgaria and Romania come to the fore, the same of Nigeria. The Dutch were very strong too as was Italy and of course Brazil. It was an even tournament I thought with extremely competitive games and some of the football and drama was amazing. Perhaps I'm looking through rose tinted glasses given it was my first major tournament but for me none since have eclippsed it in terms of drama, entertainment, football and stars.

Back to Spain, you get the impression they could play centre-backs up top and midfielders in defence and still keep possession so well, and that is their triumph, they have mastered the art of possession in a way that no other side has come even close to or likely will. If we remember the greatest of Brazil for their flair and inventiveness or the Germans for their effectiveness, Spain will be remembered for being the side that didn't give the ball away or allow the opposition a kick basically.

For me, they are the greatest international side of all time because they have changed the way the game is played. It is almost impossible to defeat them even when they are playing well below their own best and that's because they are so good at keeping and moving that ball to the point where they will eventually open you up and score.

This Italy side are not the best ever in terms of their own history but they are a talented side yet they were simply blown away and at times were mere bystanders watching on as we all were, as Spain passed and passed and passed and passed!

Give me an NUFC under KK or the unbeaten Arsenal side in terms of entertainment though any day of the week...

Or a Brazil of '94 and 02 even...

What the fuck are you on? Were the Brazil of 94' entertaining? In what way exactly? That side had Romario, and that was it. (Rai was injured and the rest were average footballers in comparison to the 02 side) In terms of quality it was the weakest one we have had thats ever won a tournament. You also name all teams and forget Sweden who were impressive in 94'.

I agree about your sentiments about the Spain team, I concur that its among the greatest ever because of their efficiency, but to say its the best the world has ever seen? Come on, theres just no way its comfortably the best.

I'm with the ones saying you can't class Spain '08 with Spain '10-'12. Different coach and some different players. Classing '10-'12 together as one of the best International sides is fair enough. I don't think it's the best though.

Would love to see France of 2000 play the Spanish team now - think that would be a close one.

Deschamps - Vieira

Zidane

vs.

Xavi

Busquets - Alonso

That would be a class battle.

Guest Howaythetoon

What the f*** are you on? Were the Brazil of 94' entertaining? In what way exactly? That side had Romario, and that was it. (Rai was injured and the rest were average footballers in comparison to the 02 side) In terms of quality it was the weakest one we have had thats ever won a tournament. You also name all teams and forget Sweden who were impressive in 94'.

I agree about your sentiments about the Spain team, I concur that its among the greatest ever because of their efficiency, but to say its the best the world has ever seen? Come on, theres just no way its comfortably the best.

I thought they were entertaining, they were good in defence through to midfield and attack. I like how you aknowledge Romario while totally dismissing Bebeto. In tandemn the two were excellent I thought.

Of course the 2002 side was better in terms of individuals but for me that '94 side was a more rounded side from all aspects, especially tactically. Like I said, more European than Brazilian which is probably why our views are so opposite.

I thought Dunga was great in '94 as well.

You are right about Sweden, who I forgot, they were very good throughout.

Regarding that actual tournament, for me, it was the last competition where so many stars shined or where so many players stood out. The names that ring out loud....

Hagi

Stoichkov

Baggio

Romario

Bebeto

Baresi

Salenko

Bergkamp

Klinsmann

Andersson

Battistuta

Dhalin

Letchkov

Etc. etc.

Just a few of the stars that shone.

As for Spain, they are at keeping the ball what Pele was at playing the game or Messi. They are more than a keep ball side though, they have great players and can defend tooo. That and 3 successive trophies. Its a subjective debate of course but for me personally, this Spain or the Spain if 2008-2012 are the best overall, if not the most entertaining. Btazil 02' would rank as the most entertaining international side I've seen if you take away England at penalties/f***ing up ;)

Oleg Salenko and Letchkov wow, legends those two. Salenko scoring 4 or 5 goals or whatever it was against Cameroon was class. And Letchkovs header against Germany in the quarter finals with his halfbald head.

I agree that it was an entertaining World Cup, but Brazil were really boring and tactical just like you said. Parreira-football has always been disliked in Brazil.

You writing those names brings me back memories as a kid watching all those videos from the WC 94'. Was 3 years old so obviously cant remember s***, but watched videos of that World Cup throughout my childhood. Baggio missing that penalty was simply amazing or even when he was brought off after Pagliuca was sent off against Ireland, Mexico or Norway cant really remember which of them it was. He was shell shocked. :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

Oleg Salenko and Letchkov wow, legends those two. Salenko scoring 4 or 5 goals or whatever it was against Cameroon was class. And Letchkovs header against Germany in the quarter finals with his halfbald head.

I agree that it was an entertaining World Cup, but Brazil were really boring and tactical just like you said. Parreira-football has always been disliked in Brazil.

You writing those names brings me back memories as a kid watching all those videos from the WC 94'. Was 3 years old so obviously cant remember s***, but watched videos of that World Cup throughout my childhood. Baggio missing that penalty was simply amazing or even when he was brought off after Pagliuca was sent off against Ireland, Mexico or Norway cant really remember which of them it was. He was shell shocked. :lol:

They may not be legends but in those Finals they were and that is or what the World Cup and indeed European Championships is/was all about, the players. The top players and not so top players stood out in '94 where as today in the WC/EC the top players rarely shine and even the not so top players rarely step up and shine. '94 was for me the last great tournament, despite a poor final.

I'm not being funny but you being 3 years old at the time kind of limits your opinion on said tournament, players and indeed your own national side of that era. I was what, 14 or so at the time, and just getting into football, and although the Brazil I saw didn't reflect the legend I was taught about, I knew my football and that was one damn fine side that would grace any competition or era, with some outstanding players. Romario for me is the most natural and instinctive finisher I've ever seen and one of my all-time faves.

The Brazil of '94 had few world-class stars but had a solid 'keeper, a very good defense and midfield and in attack, a complimetary forward line of Romario and Bebeto. The former one of the best strikers of all-time for me. They also had great team spirit and togetherness which is often missing in a Brazil side, especially of late.

They won a very tough, competitive tournament in a fashion not accustomed to themselves and did so despite Brazilian opinion, in the right way, playing good attacking football built on a solid defense. Yes more European than Brazil but still better than the rest at the time and therefore surely worthy of high praise?!

For me Brazilians are spoilt and have lived off the back of Pele et al for far too long and rightly so perhaps, but it boils my p*ss that the side of '94 for example is almost looked on as the tramp if you like, or the idiot uncle who exists but should never be mentioned. YOU WON THE WORLD CUP FFS playing the best football of the tournament in general.

I stand by my comments, that Brazil side was a better all-round side than the 2002 side and would out of the two, give this current Spain side a better run for their money.

Guest BooBoo

World Cup 94 was the best tournament I've seen in my lifetime (Mexico 86 being the first I can remember).

Euro 2000 was good too. More often than not though, the modern day summer tournaments are usually disappointing. The last World Cup was a month of tedium and the last two Euros will not live long in the memory either.

Guest BooBoo

Brazil won in 02 without playing anyone special. I always the felt they won that tournament almost by default.

Guest Howaythetoon

World Cup 94 was the best tournament I've seen in my lifetime (Mexico 86 being the first I can remember).

Euro 2000 was good too. More often than not though, the modern day summer tournaments are usually disappointing. The last World Cup was a month of tedium and the last two Euros will not live long in the memory either.

Aye!

This current tournament was OK but still boring.

'94 had it all and although the final was extremely boring it was still dramatic. Overall though it had averything and I loved how random players shone such as Salenko and even our own eventually Albert.

I loved the daft kick-off times. I remember watching Brazil beating Sweden in the semis at 12 at night or something.

Another thing I remember from that tournament, pre-tournament Asprilla said he was or capable of being the best strikers on the planet and the Columbians were much fancied but of course bombed spectacularly. I was bang into Gazzetta football at the time and thought I'd love to see him at the Toon one day...

The '90s was the best time to be a fan, not only of NUFC and footy in general but also international footy. Mind it was also the best time to be a kid...

/Rose tinted specs...

/Happy days...

Guest SweMatt
The '90s was the best time to be a fan, not only of NUFC and footy in general but also international footy. Mind it was also the best time to be a kid...

Even the lasses were prettier.  :snod:

I'm not being funny but you being 3 years old at the time kind of limits your opinion on said tournament, players and indeed your own national side of that era. I was what, 14 or so at the time, and just getting into football, and although the Brazil I saw didn't reflect the legend I was taught about, I knew my football and that was one damn fine side that would grace any competition or era, with some outstanding players. Romario for me is the most natural and instinctive finisher I've ever seen and one of my all-time faves.

? I have seen videos and videos over again of those games, dont know how many times ive seen the full 90 minutes of each of Brazil and Swedens game and couple of others. Latest time I saw some videos were couple of months back, just because you didnt experience the tournament just at the time, doesnt mean you can specifically have a good knowledge of what went on.

And yes, I still completely disagree with the 14 year old HTT.