Norwich vs Newcastle - 10/12/11 - Pre Match Thread

Decky

Anyone recall the last time we had a centre back crisis?  KK decided to chuck our reserve centre forward Steve Howey into the fray as a centre half and he had a blinder, and even went on to pick up a full England cap before a bad injury put paid to his international and NUFC career.

Anyone fancy Best at centre half?  He isn't bad in the air and might be able to fill the role on a temporary basis!  Its either that or Santon at right back and Simmo at centre half with Perch as his partner and Raylor on the left.

This doesnt fill me with confidence, and you never know, Best just might be able to emulate Howey.

Its unlikely that Pardew would even consider this, but no one thought for a second that Howey could make a defender!  Apart from KK and Steve Howey of course!!!!

I'd been talking about this earlier in the week Bob, i.e. that in years gone by when squads were very small is wasn't unheard of for a CF to play CH or vice versa during an injury crisis. The game is a lot faster and more technical nowadays and I'm not sure a successful switch like we once saw could be replicated.

It's hardly been mentioned so far but I wouldn't be surprised if Pardew is considering a role for Smith this weekend if the situation is absolutely dire, as he may be looking for leadership in the absence of his central defenders. I hope this doesn't happen and it wouldn't be my choice.

Guest Brazilianbob

Anyone recall the last time we had a centre back crisis?  KK decided to chuck our reserve centre forward Steve Howey into the fray as a centre half and he had a blinder, and even went on to pick up a full England cap before a bad injury put paid to his international and NUFC career.

Anyone fancy Best at centre half?  He isn't bad in the air and might be able to fill the role on a temporary basis!  Its either that or Santon at right back and Simmo at centre half with Perch as his partner and Raylor on the left.

This doesnt fill me with confidence, and you never know, Best just might be able to emulate Howey.

Its unlikely that Pardew would even consider this, but no one thought for a second that Howey could make a defender!  Apart from KK and Steve Howey of course!!!!

:lol:

I've seen nothing from Best that even remotely suggests he could fill in at centre half. I could also see him playing people onside all game too since he spends all game being offside in the other half.

That isnt a good enough rebuttal.  Steve Howey was the same whenever he got a game up front for the first team, which wasn't often!  He never showed anything that remotely suggested he could do a job as a defender either.

I've seen nothing from Best that even remotely suggests he could fill in at centre half. I could also see him playing people onside all game too since he spends all game being offside in the other half.

That isnt a good enough rebuttal.  Steve Howey was the same whenever he got a game up front for the first team, which wasn't often!  He never showed anything that remotely suggested he could do a job as a defender either.

What in the fuck?

Guest Brazilianbob

What in the f***?

Whats up Ronnie!  Cant understand English?  Until Howey was given a chance by KK he had never played at centre half, even for the reserves, although he may have been given a behind closed doors game in the week prior to making his first team debut as a defender!

If Howey had never shown anything to remotely suggested he could do a job as a defender, he wouldn't have been tried in defence.

Plus, Howey was what, 20 when he was first played there? That's a valid excuse for his true position not being identified. Best has been a pro for almost 10 years.

Guest Brazilianbob

Well regardless of what I have suggested regarding Best at centre back (as a last resort), I note that Henderson did not play for the Heed last night, so it looks like Pardew has asked that he be rested in view of him returning to NUFC today.  It therefore seems likely that Henderson will at least be on the bench on saturday.  So we have Perch, Kadar, Santon and Henderson to cover at centre back!  Sorted, because we have no other options really apart from Best or perhaps even Shola!!!

If Howey had never shown anything to remotely suggested he could do a job as a defender, he wouldn't have been tried in defence.

Plus, Howey was what, 20 when he was first played there? That's a valid excuse for his true position not being identified. Best has been a pro for almost 10 years.

it's the job of good coaching staff and scouting staff to see what no-one else does.

Howey had just turned 23 when he made his England debut at centre-half and been playing there at least 3 years before that, Best's 25 and never played there in his life. Crazy to suggest he could play there.

how old was barry venison when he moved to central midfield (where he got his last england cap), joey barton from central midfiled to out wide ?

just examples though i have to say ivew personally seen nothing to make me think best could make the switch.

So why go through the routine of playing devil's advocate for the millionth time? Do you really care that much about how outside opinions are structured?

It's a ludicrous suggestion. It doesn't really warrant analysis, or a comparison with Steve Howey - who was clearly physically and mentally suited to CB.

So why go through the routine of playing devil's advocate for the millionth time? Do you really care that much about how outside opinions are structured?

It's a ludicrous suggestion. It doesn't really warrant analysis, or a comparison with Steve Howey - who was clearly physically and mentally suited to CB.

not playing devils advocate at all. i just dislike it when ideas are introduced into argument that are poor. weirdly i'll point this out even when it seems to support my opinion.

Guest Brazilianbob

Howey had just turned 23 when he made his England debut at centre-half and been playing there at least 3 years before that, Best's 25 and never played there in his life. Crazy to suggest he could play there.

Qualify that remark please.  I reiterate that Howey had never played as a defender and it had never been suggested that he could, until he was thrown in at the deep end by KK.  The difference being KK was a man manager and could make a player feel they could achieve anything if they put their mind to it!

No one other than the manager and the clubs coaching staff know whether Best can or even would play as a centre half, but given our current situation and the precedence set by the Howey situation, I don't see that it is at all unrealistic to suggest it could be a possible answer to our lack of defensive cover.  I could also cite a certain Dion Dublin who went from centre forward to centre half and vice versa on several occasions so it is not an unrealistic scenario by any means!

Qualify that remark please.  I reiterate that Howey had never played as a defender and it had never been suggested that he could, until he was thrown in at the deep end by KK.  The difference being KK was a man manager and could make a player feel they could achieve anything if they put their mind to it!

No one other than the manager and the clubs coaching staff know whether Best can or even would play as a centre half, but given our current situation and the precedence set by the Howey situation, I don't see that it is at all unrealistic to suggest it could be a possible answer to our lack of defensive cover.  I could also cite a certain Dion Dublin who went from centre forward to centre half and vice versa on several occasions so it is not an unrealistic scenario by any means!

Howey was a kid who'd barely played any first-team football up front nevermind centre-back, and would have went into that position with no fear.

I'd say Chris Sutton or Dion Dublin was a better comparison tbh, Howey's a poor one.

Guest Brazilianbob

Howey was a kid who'd barely played any first-team football up front nevermind centre-back, and would have went into that position with no fear.

I'd say Chris Sutton or Dion Dublin was a better comparison tbh, Howey's a poor one.

I would hardly say a 23 year old was a kid in those days!  Trevor Francis made his first team debut at 16 as did our own Steve Watson and countless other good young players.  Steve Howey was recognised as a reserve striker and had been for a number of years before he played at centre half.

I would hardly say a 23 year old was a kid in those days!  Trevor Francis made his first team debut at 16 as did our own Steve Watson and countless other good young players.  Steve Howey was recognised as a reserve striker and had been for a number of years before he played at centre half.

He was first-choice centre-back alongside Kevin Scott back in 1992 when he was 21.

Guest ykmkmdd

Fuck it, let's just get 16 players together and we'll draw positions out of a hat.

:lol: Whatever lineup that resulted in I'm pretty sure it would've already been suggested in this thread.

Right. I pulled it out of a hat and got:

Best

Sammy  Shola  Perch  Santon

Cabaye    Ba    Smith    Krul

R.Taylor  Jonas

Subs - Harper, Simpson, Colo, Obertan, Guthrie, Ben Arfa, Gosling.

I can't believe Perch and Smith still ended up where they did :lol: