Norwich vs Newcastle - 10/12/11 - Pre Match Thread

Decky

I think Guthrie has been better the last few games.

I'm not saying leave Cabaye out, but you're right about that.

Might be good on him tog et a few games of rest before the christmas period as we can afford it while guthrie is in such good form. The christmas period is a thight programme and we'll need to rotate abit under that period if we want to keep the performances to the best.

Our CM pairing is fine, and I'd rather not play Santon or Kadar at CB.

It's essentially a choice between Tiote, Santon and Kadar as Perch's partner.

Tiote's attributes mean that he'd do ok at CB. He's strong, reads the game well and can tackle. Kadar is completely unproven and Santon isn't strong enough.

Tiote as a CB = 2 yellows, 2 pens. He is far to clumsey.

I would be very surprised if Pards starts HBA in this one, I reckon Shola or Best will be back in.

Most dangerous crosses they put in will be corners or free kicks, minus Taylor we lack a defender to attack the ball with his head and I'm sure Pardew will play one of his big forwards for defending set pieces.

I would start with: Simpson - Perch - Santon - Raylor

Thinks Pards will go with: Simpson - Perch - Kadar - Raylor

I would side with Pards on that one, seems crazy to play Santon there if Kadar is fit.

I'm crazy. Alternatively, Santon could finally play at LB with Raylor starting ahead of Obertan at RM.

Obertan has been poor, imo. I'd like to see him come on and see how he can use his pace and directness to exploit tired defenders. Having Raylor on the pitch would also give us the option to put him back in defence if necessary...

The injuries to Colo and Taylor stopped any chance of Raylor coming out of the defence.

I reckon:

Krul

Santon      Simmo    Perch      Raylor

Cabaye  Guthrie

Obertan                                    Jonas

Shola        Ba

Guest Roger Kint

The prospect of Simpson/Perch at CB...........thankfully Norwich usually play a small pacey striker in Morrison  :hmm:

do what we done at stoke then and stop the supply.

We will have to you're right(arguable more so as they will be looking to exploit every chance possible) if we escape with a point it will be a fantastic return tbh

Guest Roger Kint

If Tiote and Colo make it i'm expecting more than escaping with a point tbh

Well thats a completely different scenario so obviously my point wouldnt be necessary....

I think Guthrie has been better the last few games.

I'm not saying leave Cabaye out, but you're right about that.

Might be good on him tog et a few games of rest before the christmas period as we can afford it while guthrie is in such good form. The christmas period is a thight programme and we'll need to rotate abit under that period if we want to keep the performances to the best.

With Tiote back, you want cabaye playing alongside him imo. Cabaye would perform better alongside Tiote than Guthrie would. Not that Guthrie would be bad, but Cabaye has more. It's harsh to criticise Cabaye about his performances of late, he's tried to fill a bit of the void left by Tiote hence him not being as involved with the ball. It's also his first season in the facest paced league in the world. Tiote helps him out wonders in that respect. I'd pick Cabaye everyday over Guthrie to partner Tiote.

Obertan should not start in this game, actually I don't want to see him on the field come saturday. Been really really bad for except 2-3 games this season.

My feelings exactly. Not really sure who he would be replaced with though if Pards is adamant HBA won't be playing on the wing  :dontknow:

Obertan should not start in this game, actually I don't want to see him on the field come saturday. Been really really bad for except 2-3 games this season.

My feelings exactly. Not really sure who he would be replaced with though if Pards is adamant HBA won't be playing on the wing  :dontknow:

Raylor to RM, Santon to LB.

Guest Brazilianbob

Anyone recall the last time we had a centre back crisis?  KK decided to chuck our reserve centre forward Steve Howey into the fray as a centre half and he had a blinder, and even went on to pick up a full England cap before a bad injury put paid to his international and NUFC career.

Anyone fancy Best at centre half?  He isn't bad in the air and might be able to fill the role on a temporary basis!  Its either that or Santon at right back and Simmo at centre half with Perch as his partner and Raylor on the left.

This doesnt fill me with confidence, and you never know, Best just might be able to emulate Howey.

Its unlikely that Pardew would even consider this, but no one thought for a second that Howey could make a defender!  Apart from KK and Steve Howey of course!!!!

Anyone recall the last time we had a centre back crisis?  KK decided to chuck our reserve centre forward Steve Howey into the fray as a centre half and he had a blinder, and even went on to pick up a full England cap before a bad injury put paid to his international and NUFC career.

Anyone fancy Best at centre half?  He isn't bad in the air and might be able to fill the role on a temporary basis!  Its either that or Santon at right back and Simmo at centre half with Perch as his partner and Raylor on the left.

This doesnt fill me with confidence, and you never know, Best just might be able to emulate Howey.

Its unlikely that Pardew would even consider this, but no one thought for a second that Howey could make a defender!  Apart from KK and Steve Howey of course!!!!

Or Shola as CB  :frantic:

:lol:

I've seen nothing from Best that even remotely suggests he could fill in at centre half. I could also see him playing people onside all game too since he spends all game being offside in the other half.

Not seen much of Kadar but it's clear they don't particularly rate him. Whatever happens, Santon needs games and with two defenders out you have to wonder why we signed him if he can't start in this one. I think it'll be Simpson and Perch with Santon at right back. I see him going with experience/calibre and a player who's been getting regular PL games over an inexperienced player thrown in from the reserves, so I expect Simpson to move inside and Kadar on the bench. We'll most likely play a bit deeper to avoid balls in behind but that invites the long ball against our short defenders. Perch and Simpson have pace so we may be better off holding a high line as we did against Stoke. I do see Ameobi starting to defend set pieces and try to hold the ball up. That'll mean Ben Arfa dropped or moved wide right in place of Obertan.

It's still a very winnable game but the midfield have a big job both in keeping possession and getting behind the ball quickly when Norwich win possession.