Norwich vs Newcastle - 10/12/11 - Pre Match Thread

Decky

Guest icemanblue

People wanting to start Santon at centre half, a position he has never played, for his Premier League debut. :lol:

one of those people may well be Alan Pardew  :pardsgrin:

In which case, he's taking the 'next Maldini' talk far too seriously.

People wanting to start Santon at centre half, a position he has never played, for his Premier League debut. :lol:

When you look at the alternatives its not that ridiculous a suggestion.  He is being thrown in at the deep end but that isnt always a bad thing.

Guest optimistic nit

with option b being? Kadar, Simpson or Tiote? Simpson at CB and Santon at rb (or lb with Raylor at rb) would also, however imo santons speed and height will be important attributes alongisde perch.

I know that Obertan can be useful away on the counter, but this is a game where i can see us have a bit more of the ball compared to our last few games away, so i would much rather see us play Ben Arfa on the right wing as he's got a LOT more quality on the ball and his delivery is twice as good.

Some say he's poor defensively, but imo Obertan isn't much better really, i also think the amount of times Obertan loses the ball or tries to deliver the final ball which ends up being s*** will hurt us more as a team defensively and offensively.

With Ba and Best/Ameobi up front to hold the ball up and a midfield of Jonas, Guthrie, Cabaye and Ben Arfa im quite sure we'll see us have a lot of the ball and spray it around nicely and create quite a few chances as well. Having a go at them (like Manu 1st half/Villa) will make it much easier for our temporary defense. If we sit back even for one half of the game and dont play our game im afraid they will beat us quite easily.

Think this will be really tough without Colo and Taylor. If they get the ball wide into good areas and provide crosses for Holt and Morrison to attack Simpson and Perch then we really will be in trouble. Im going to go for an entertaning 2-2, think we can get at them when we have the ball.

Krul

Santon  Simpson  Perch  Raylor

Obertan  Cabaye  Guthrie/Tiote  Jonas

Ben Arfa

Ba

Santon won't start CB purely for the reason that every time i watch the reserve highlights, the bit at the end with the coach, there is a comment about him needing to learn about the physical side of the english game.

Lets all remember we took a team with Dabizas and O'Brien to the Champions League.

Keep the faith - Perch may be Championship quality, but Norwich and Swansea will be fighting to the last day to not drop back there

True, however our midfield and strikers aren't as good as then.

Tiote at the back is the new Colo in midfield.

Both ideas are little short of a nonsense.

Don't think Colo in midfield would be as bad as Tiote in CB. Colo could definitely do a better job than most in our squad in the DM position. He's comfortable at the ball, wins tackles and is disciplined.

Lets all remember we took a team with Dabizas and O'Brien to the Champions League.

Keep the faith - Perch may be Championship quality, but Norwich and Swansea will be fighting to the last day to not drop back there

I remember us winning away at Spurs with Andy O'Brien playing Right Back.

Guest MrSundlofer

With our two regular central defenders out injured we need to play Ba and Ameobi or Best. Why? = Height. A 4-4-2 formation.

No idea how the back four will look like, but it could be a good idea to not change to much and keep Simpson and Ryan Taylor on their positions.

Fantastic if Tioté is back. Otherwise I'm happy with Cabaye and Guthrie.

Jonás should go straight in to the team and play on the left wing.

Obertan? I wasn't impressed with him last game. He looked uninterested. If the starts at right wing he will still be a threat.

I don't think he will but if I was the boss I would play Ben Arfa on the right wing.

No offence to Guthrie, as he's been canny while Tiote's been gone, but just compare these two "possible" line ups:

Krul

Simpson Perch Coloccini Santon

Obertan Tiote Cabaye Jonas

Ben Arfa

Ba

Krul

Santon Simpson Perch Taylor

Obertan Guthrie Cabaye Jonas

Ben Arfa

Ba

What a lift it would be if we could get the first one out there.

At the risk of being ridiculed for a 'Skirge' formation.. :lol:

If Colo is out we need to stop crosses coming into the box before anything else, therefore I would go with -

Krul

Santon      Simpson      Perch    Raylor

Cabaye  Tiote      Guthrie          Jonas

Ben Arfa

Ba           

I know most probably wouldn't like the idea of Cabaye out there but with two wingers who will work hard and put a foot in we cut down the chances of crossing coming in for our small/slight centre backs to battle against.  Tiote would ideally sit quite deep and on the break we would have two players who are excellent at spreading play (Cabaye and Guthrie), Jonas who is very good at carrying the ball forward, Ben Arfa with pace and skill to push the defence back/scare them/win free kicks and Ba who is brilliant at getting into goalscoring positions but will also drop deep and work when required.               

Krul

Simpson

Perch

Kadar (Colo)

Santon

Obertan

Guthrie

Cabaye (Tiote)

Jonas

Shola

Ba

4-4-2.

In the past we've always played shite against teams like this. I think we got beat home and away last time against Norwich? Hopefully Pards can motivate the team, this is the type of game where Obertan will have a shocker.

Krul

Simpson

Perch

Kadar (Colo)

Santon

Obertan

Guthrie

Cabaye (Tiote)

Jonas

Shola

Ba

4-4-2.

In the past we've always played s**** against teams like this. I think we got beat home and away last time against Norwich? Hopefully Pards can motivate the team, this is the type of game where Obertan will have a shocker.

Cabaye only if Tiote's out? Eh?