Dogawful Officiating: PL to keep VAR next season (official)

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

The ref and the East Stand linesman today, fucking hell. They must have had the day off when shirt pulls were covered during the refereeing course. I counted 3 really obvious ones in the first 5 mins of the second half that were all completely ignored :lol:

Thankfully he got the pen right but not much else.

Just now, ChrisMcQuillan said:

The Diaz offside call (without lines) today looks particularly suspicious. 

Just desserts after Isak, like. But still. 

PGMOL said it should have been a goal. This is ridiculous. 

hate Liverpool as much as the next guy but rules are rules. This can’t be happening in the Premier League or the World Cup - Konate hand balling the ball in the build up to France’s 3-3 pen went totally unnoticed tells me that the refs aren’t looking for fouls, they’re watching the game like fans and not like actual officials. 

Maybe the football's got too technical and quick these days? Our refs were brought up in the days of hoofing it long, and kicking forwards 4ft into the air. All the tiki taka stuff in the PL is probably discombobulating them.

No point in blaming VAR either, the job of video assisted refs is clearly to support their guy on the field. Unless the decision goes in favour of an uppity club trying to put one over the big six.

4 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Only non-big six sides are allowed to get that kind of treatment. Heads will roll.

it’s true. The Wolves one against Man U was done the next day. This one feels mid match. Klopp basically said he had a word with the ref halftime and they said they made a mistake. 

How long really would it have taken for them to say "ah actually that was a goal to the ref" an extra 30 seconds ? A minute ? We've all seen (usually with us being the victim of them) Var calls that have taken minutes upon minutes. Goals are the most fundamental part of the game. Can't have this carry on. Maybe we need to take the offside law back to the 1925 version (the one prior to 1990) where level didn't cut it and you had to have two players in front of you ?  

Dont think its right that players, clubs, managers, are all fined but for refs nothing. They're all part of the same sport.

I think if they remove their match bonus or fined them 1k if it's deemed an incorrect decision, you'd suddenly see a massive increase in these people wanting to get decisions spot on if it hits them in the pocket. 

I'd also argue for refs to be mic'd up, we need to hear the discussion, other sports aren't afraid, and with the Barcelona situation among no doubt countless other cover ups, there's no wonder football has its conspiracies around corruption. 

Referees new to the EPL will earn a base salary of £70k, whereas Anthony Taylor will be earning more £100k+ a year. They also get a £1.5k as a match game bonus so this every time they do a game.

Assistant referees earn £30k a year and they also pick up £850 a match. So you're looking at roughly £50K-£60K as an assistant referee.

Full-time dedicated VAR assistant referees are on a £30k retainer as well as £850 per game fee.

Pretty sure if they lost their bonus, they'd suddenly tune their decisions to be much more accurate. 

Edited by mighty__mag

I think it’s time we get the PGMOL consult with whoever does the NFL/tennis/cricket deciding bodies. Their’s feel like officiating bodies and you rarely if ever question their decisions where as the PGMOL have a track history of corruption and shody decision making. 

1 hour ago, Ameritoon said:

Would absolutely lose my mind if that statement was released after fucking over Newcastle. They whole point of VAR is to eliminate human error yet they're just adding more.

No reason the var operators should still be employed tomorrow 

They fucked us over last year v Liverpool ironically.

Only difference there is that they didn't deem us important enough to realise a statement immediately afterwards apologising.

I’ve never bought the (sometimes childish) waffle about the referees favouring the Sky Six etc.  I also never thought VAR was a good idea.

But what it has done is exposed the incompetence of some of the officials - even with replays, multiple angles and slow motion they’re still making obvious errors.  The standard of refereeing in England is very poor at the moment - we saw that vs Milan, when a competent European ref allowed the game to flow.