Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

21 minutes ago, Pata said:

It’s not really VAR that’s the problem, it’s the monkeys watching the screens.

Yeah but the same monkeys exist in every league in Europe :lol: get rid until AI can replace them

Just now, OpenC said:

Aye, exactly that cf :thup: literally nobody thinks it was a penalty except the people who were in charge of deciding whether it was a penalty or not :lol:

Exactly what I said.  EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE knew it wasn't a penalty except one referee and one VAR assistant.  They were outnumbered by about 50 million to one but those two officials had a different opinion.  Scandalous!

Never ever a pen and to be honest, if this is the direction the game continues to go with more and more VAR intervention that results in bafflingly awful decisions then I’m going to struggle to keep watching. That’s obviously a very reactionary response coming from a massive high earlier to a huge low but it genuinely is ruining the game 

What's even more strange is that the Miley one wasn't given earlier. So what I'm wondering is, in a crazy world where this is a penalty according to some stupid rules, why wasn't the Miley handball given aswell then? Makes no sense at all.

One of the reasons I'm enjoying going to watch Alnwick and NUFC women is the sheer pleasure of just having to look for the linesman to see if you can celebrate a goal or not. Honestly fucking hate what VAR has done even before tonight's travesty

Pretty sure I heard it's only English VAR that ruins football - that Europeans have nailed it. Anyone dare say it's been good for the sport tonight?

It's funny people are blaming the referee. He actually made the right call on his first attempt. Then something was said over his earpiece and history changed.

Bring in the automatic offside and just get rid of the rest of var. Watching the game back in slow motion, looking for the slightest infringement to suit an agenda is ruining the game. Agree with everyone you can't even enjoy a goal without the fear of it being ruled out.

42 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Maybe I'm imagining it but did the ref stop a continuation of play for one of the other penalty calls for VAR to confirm it wasn't just because there were so many PSG players surrounding him? Effectively rewarding their snidey behaviour [emoji38]

Yeah just pulled up the whole fucking match. Can't remember the last time I saw such a thing happen so I assumed it was a given that it would be a penalty. 

5 minutes ago, 80 said:

Pretty sure I heard it's only English VAR that ruins football - that Europeans have nailed it. Anyone dare say it's been good for the sport tonight?

It's funny people are blaming the referee. He actually made the right call on his first attempt. Then something was said over his earpiece and history changed.

Obviously VAR even recommending he take a second look is a joke. But if you're the supposed best referee in the world that manned the last world cup final and can get swayed by that you're as much in the firing line as anyone else.

3 minutes ago, wormy said:

Obviously VAR even recommending he take a second look is a joke. But if you're the supposed best referee in the world that manned the last world cup final and can get swayed by that you're as much in the firing line as anyone else.

Sure, but it seems like a cop out to focus on him. This is a systemic issue that happens over and over again across games, countries and competitions. If the so called best referee in the world buckles when forced to be centre of attention by VAR like that, then what hope have the rest of them got?

A former referree and current referreeing expert in Norway said that this is the worst decision that he has seen in a long time in the UCL. And he watches ALOT of games while paying attention to the referreeing. He even said that the Man Utd - Copenhagen pens were penalty according to the rules, but he still says that this one was hideous.

Edited by Erikse

1 minute ago, Checko said:

VAR tells him to have a look but he's still got to make the decision.

Do feel it would be useful to hear dialogue between the ref and video assistants, like you hear in rugby internationals.

:thup: I'll never understand anyone's argument for this not happening. Think the usual one I see is 'it makes them even more the focus'.. And what the fuck is happening right now? :lol: They're having the conversation either way so let us hear it.

3 minutes ago, Checko said:

VAR tells him to have a look but he's still got to make the decision.

Do feel it would be useful to hear dialogue between the ref and video assistants, like you hear in rugby internationals.

They should release the audio for this one, I really want to know what they were thinking. There's not even a stupid rule in place to justify the decision.

The combination of ridiculously strict handball laws and VAR has essentially broken football. Too many games (especially in Europe) are decided by freak unavoidable accidents. We may as well award a team an automatic goal if an opposition defender slips over. Or every time someone scores we can toss a coin - heads they keep the goal, tails it's disallowed.

Just need to learn to kick the ball at opponents hands and arms in future. Intent is out of the window. Deflections don't matter - if it hits any part of the arm it's a pen so just go for it. Contact = pen

Yeah 8 mins was fucking bullshit. 

Ok we took our time with goal kicks etc like any away team in Europe. So maybe 5 mins would be fair but 8? When we made zero subs, no long injury delays and no long VAR checks. You just knew there was gonna be some fuckery once we got into the last few mins.