Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

Arsenal fans are just insane. They are all over our social media posts still crying about that Gordon goal, 4 weeks later.[emoji38] They did the same after our 0-0 draw last season.

Edited by Erikse

A lot of them are not really even true fans in a meaningful sense. They're international fans who treat their support ("fandom") like obsessive K-pop teenagers. They know little about the sport outside their own team and live permanently on social media.

1 hour ago, OpenC said:

One of the reasons I'm enjoying going to watch Alnwick and NUFC women is the sheer pleasure of just having to look for the linesman to see if you can celebrate a goal or not. Honestly fucking hate what VAR has done even before tonight's travesty

Sweden still hasn't got it, and hopefully wont for a long long fucking time :thup:

I really can't wrap my head around how any fan can be in favour of VAR. It's without a doubt the worst thing to have happened to the game, at least since Abramovic came in at Chelsea. 

The right wrong decision would have been for the referee to give it as it looked like a penalty but be overruled by VAR.

What actually happened inverted the whole purpose of VAR and shat all over a bloody good refereeing instinct decision, something they'll make extinct.

1 minute ago, Wolfcastle said:

The right wrong decision would have been for the referee to give it as it looked like a penalty but be overruled by VAR.

What actually happened inverted the whole purpose of VAR and shat all over a bloody good refereeing instinct decision, something they'll make extinct.

Did you hear me in the pub  ?;

Edited by madras

As for anyone saying "its not VARs fault, it's the people using it". Yeah, great way of improving incompetence by adding even more incompetent people and just let them have a go :lol:

VAR hasn't improved a single thing, but it has ruined an awful lot. The one thing it was brought in to do was to correct 'clear and obvious errors'. Most of us thought that meant when some cunt dived in the penalty area and a penalty was given, or when something happened off the ball. I really don't believe anyone thought that when they introduced VAR that checking arm pit hairs for off sides and literally any ball bouncing awkwardly in the penalty area for hand ball was the point :lol:

But yeah, thanks to people wanting 'correct decisions', here we now are when defenders will be asked to chop their arms off, goals can't be celebrated and fans in the stands are sat waiting minutes for a decision they might not even know why its being checked :rolleyes:

16 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I'm not entirely sure why they bother with the walk to the screen charade.

It's usually shown in slow motion, from a limited number of angles and 95% of the the time the ref is too spineless to stick with his original decision.

The funny thing here is that it looked a stonewall penalty in real time and he didn't give it. It's only when you see the replays that you clearly see it come off his abdomen before grazing his elbow. It's never a pen and the ref has bottled it. It's a complete myth that mainland Europe referees are any better than English ones.

34 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I'm not entirely sure why they bother with the walk to the screen charade.

It's usually shown in slow motion, from a limited number of angles and 95% of the the time the ref is too spineless to stick with his original decision.

Just another opportunity to fuck the fans over 

Edited by gbandit

1 minute ago, Froggy said:

The funny thing here is that it looked a stonewall penalty in real time and he didn't give it. It's only when you see the replays that you clearly see it come off his abdomen before grazing his elbow. It's never a pen and the ref has bottled it. It's a complete myth that mainland Europe referees are any better than English ones.

I thought it was a pen in real time tbh. What is the actual rule regarding deflections of other body parts in UCL at the moment though? Is it different from the PL one?

Interesting bit here: https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/mediaservices/mediareleases/news/0280-17dc5e89fbb9-35f6ff237f7c-1000--uefa-football-board-urges-more-clarity-on-handball-rule/

”• In their guidelines for the next season, the Board recommends that UEFA should clarify that no handball offence should be called on a player if the ball is previously deflected from his own body and, in particular, when the ball does not go towards the goal.”

Was that rule change confirmed?

1 minute ago, Unbelievable said:

I thought it was a pen in real time tbh. What is the actual rule regarding deflections of other body parts in UCL at the moment though? Is it different from the PL one?

It was recommended that the rule was changed so that a pen shouldn't be given if the ball deflected off the players body first. It wasn't implemented though.

A pen was given last night on the basis that Livramento intentional made his body unnaturally bigger with his arm. It's beyond harsh, and the game is completely gone with shit like this. It happened with Martinez last season for us where the ball deflected up off his leg and hit his arm and it was given. They scored and we lost which was gutting so can't imagine how this feels. 

2 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

Interesting bit here: https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/mediaservices/mediareleases/news/0280-17dc5e89fbb9-35f6ff237f7c-1000--uefa-football-board-urges-more-clarity-on-handball-rule/

”• In their guidelines for the next season, the Board recommends that UEFA should clarify that no handball offence should be called on a player if the ball is previously deflected from his own body and, in particular, when the ball does not go towards the goal.”

Was that rule change confirmed?

Sorry to answer my own question, but seemingly it was not: https://sportsbrief.com/football/53845-psg-newcastle-mbappes-penalty-shows-difference-uefas-handball-rules-epls/

Correct decision then, based on the current rules of the competion?

1 minute ago, Froggy said:

It was recommended that the rule was changed so that a pen shouldn't be given if the ball deflected off the players body first. It wasn't implemented though.

A pen was given last night on the basis that Livramento intentional made his body unnaturally bigger with his arm. It's beyond harsh, and the game is completely gone with shit like this. It happened with Martinez last season for us where the ball deflected up off his leg and hit his arm and it was given. They scored and we lost which was gutting so can't imagine how this feels. 

Maybe I’m old school, but like I said for me that looked like a pen in real time, and I’m not a fan of bringing intention into the discussion as that then adds subjectivity to the decision making process that is already a mess.

1 minute ago, Unbelievable said:

Maybe I’m old school, but like I said for me that looked like a pen in real time, and I’m not a fan of bringing intention into the discussion as that then adds subjectivity to the decision making process that is already a mess.

I feel like I'm old school as well to be honest. I'd prefer refs to just make a decision like they used to without the intervention of technology. If it's wrong it's wrong and so be it. It feels like to me like there's far more controversy now over decisions than there ever was in the 90's and 00's but that could just be recency bias.

Forget VAR and have 2 referees and 4 linesmen so the refs only have to cover half of the pitch and there is always a linesman on both sides.. It's very easy to misinterpret what took place when reviewing it in slow motion as some angles can show a different situation 

5 minutes ago, jackyboy said:

Forget VAR and have 2 referees and 4 linesmen so the refs only have to cover half of the pitch and there is always a linesman on both sides.. It's very easy to misinterpret what took place when reviewing it in slow motion as some angles can show a different situation 

Adding 3 more people on to the field won't help

Remember when they trialled having extra officials on the touchline near the goal? They were pointless as they were scared to make a decision

1 minute ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Consistency would make it right though which is the point.

Not sure it even would. Some decisions will never be black and white and it still ultimately comes down to one man's opinion.

Slow motion replays of tackles are a disaster in particular. You can make tackles that are soft yellows look like stonewall reds with the way they analyse them.