Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

3 hours ago, Ben said:

keep the goal line technology and this new offside automated system but VAR needs to go, its just not good for the game in the UK

It’s not just about offside, what about penalties? In the 20-21 season, 125 penalties were given, and 23% of those penalties were given after referring to VAR. Even if you disagree with some of those decisions, I am sure most of those were rightfully given. In the same season, 22 penalty calls were overturned after referring to VAR as the they were deemed too soft. Those are significant numbers, and even if the minority of those calls were wrong, we would be fuming if the ref made a wrong call against us if VAR didn’t exist. Gordon’s penalty wasn’t given last game even after referring to VAR, well that sucked, but it wouldn’t have been given without VAR either. At least such controversial calls are just the exception now, not the norm. 

what about handballs or possible red cards? I mean, the hand of god goal wouldn’t have stood if we had VAR, and the examples are too many. I am actually surprised that some are calling to go back to the earlier days when mistakes were a normal part of the sport. From the tip of my head, a significant number of our penalties were given after going back to VAR. 

IMO season ticket holders from every club should get to vote - as it ruins the entertainment in the stadiums the most. You are just sat there with not a club what is going on.

Posted (edited)

IMO VAR is not the problem, those inside the VAR room are. It'll be worse scrapping VAR and keep these incompetent cunts in charge 

Edited by teohgk

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Solitude20 said:

It’s not just about offside, what about penalties? In the 20-21 season, 125 penalties were given, and 23% of those penalties were given after referring to VAR. Even if you disagree with some of those decisions, I am sure most of those were rightfully given. In the same season, 22 penalty calls were overturned after referring to VAR as the they were deemed too soft. Those are significant numbers, and even if the minority of those calls were wrong, we would be fuming if the ref made a wrong call against us if VAR didn’t exist. Gordon’s penalty wasn’t given last game even after referring to VAR, well that sucked, but it wouldn’t have been given without VAR either. At least such controversial calls are just the exception now, not the norm. 

what about handballs or possible red cards? I mean, the hand of god goal wouldn’t have stood if we had VAR, and the examples are too many. I am actually surprised that some are calling to go back to the earlier days when mistakes were a normal part of the sport. From the tip of my head, a significant number of our penalties were given after going back to VAR. 

Completely disagree with this

Football coped fine without VAR for over a century

Football is meant to be about 22 gadgies battling to put a ball in a net 

But every week since VAR was introduced there’s hours and hours of debate about controversial VAR decisions

It’s slowed the game down. Its ruined the supporter experience, you can’t even celebrate a goal with confidence these days for fucksake 

Watching the cup games this season where VAR wasn’t used was an absolute joy. The post match reviews focused on the football, not the tech 

Get a sherpa to carry VAR up Everest and dump it in the dead zone, so the shitty system freezes to death never to ruin football again 

Edited by bobbydazzla

13 hours ago, Ben said:

For me, the problem with accuracy is where the ball is coming from, trying to pinpoint the exact moment the ball leaves the passers foot. I'm not sure how fast a player can move frame to frame on a camera but I'm sure I read somewhere it was about 140mm. So saying a player is off be a toe is impossible, unless they have big long fuck off toes

How the semi automated offside system works.

https://inside.fifa.com/technical/football-technology/football-technologies-and-innovations-at-the-fifa-world-cup-2022/semi-automated-offside-technology

It's been said before but just to say it again for those saying "VAR isn't the problem - it's the people running it"...

VAR is the people running it. 

I dont get it why the VAR team is revealed before kickoff. imo they should be like the Stig, we shouldnt be allowed to know who they are.

These clear and obvious rules should also just dissapear, it should be black and white, if its a foul its a foul.  Put more cameras on the field and get random computer geeks to watch it as they will most likely see it much quicker. Pay them like a normall job, if they dont do their job just sack them and replace them with new ones.

1 hour ago, bobbydazzla said:

Completely disagree with this

Football coped fine without VAR for over a century

Football is meant to be about 22 gadgies battling to put a ball in a net 

But every week since VAR was introduced there’s hours and hours of debate about controversial VAR decisions

It’s slowed the game down. Its ruined the supporter experience, you can’t even celebrate a goal with confidence these days for fucksake 

Watching the cup games this season where VAR wasn’t used was an absolute joy. The post match reviews focused on the football, not the tech 

Get a sherpa to carry VAR up Everest and dump it in the dead zone, so the shitty system freezes to death never to ruin football again 

And there won’t be any debates about controversial decisions if we don’t have VAR? Wouldn’t those debates be 10 times what is now since we will objectively get more incorrect calls if VAR hadn’t existed? 

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

All to add to the WWEicifaction and spectacle of already the most popular sport on the planet.

Think of the reaper cushions man 

You'd think it ranked somewhere beneath Squash until recently.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

How would it even work ? Just not use it unless a manager wanted to challenge?

As we are in the banter era my recommendation is a big red button right by fourth official, the manager has to walk over and press it and we get an awful airhorn sound to indicate a challenge. 

16 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

:) 

you’d still have ‘nipple’ moments though - just with lines instead of defenders

But it would serve the whole purpose of the rule on a logical level. We can generally agree that scoring a goal after your nipple is ahead of the last defender is not an unfair advantage. Scoring a goal while being 5 yards ahead of the last defender is an unfair advantage. There has to be a middle ground so that the whole purpose of the offside rule is actually implemented.

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

How would it even work ? Just not use it unless a manager wanted to challenge?

I’d imagine so. If the challenge proves correct you keep the challenge for next incident. If proven false then the manager loses one of their challenges.

They have to be very careful with it though and really think it through if they are going down that route, don’t want it becoming a tool to slow the game down at certain moments. 

18 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

They have to be very careful with it though and really think it through if they are going down that route, don’t want it becoming a tool to slow the game down at certain moments. 

Is exactly what it will be used for.

:anguish: Sack it all off. Challenges ffs.

I don't think the NBA actually implemented the idea that badly tbh but it's still absolute bollocks and has done nothing to improve the actual refereeing of games. It'd be the same at best in football, likely even worse though with the inevitable shit show implementation.

For all the talk of 'we'd be fuming at decisions if we revert to no VAR'.. Everyone is still fuming now. :lol: VAR is still manned by staff whose standards are shocking. That's not going to get fixed with a revamp of VAR. 

Immediate obvious repurcussions:

• Timewasting
  • Inability to use challenge on obvious errors because they've already used their challenge
  • Managers becoming part of the game
  • Manager drama with cards, fines and suspensions
  • Manager's authority being publicly undermined in front of players

Managers in 10 years time:

image.thumb.png.32d984011fc2c532458070f70677d4b3.png

It'd be a laugh to get a few mock games set up with VAR manned by amateurs or ex-pros who are sure the system is fine if not for individual idiots. Just to see what the results are.

1 hour ago, Solitude20 said:

And there won’t be any debates about controversial decisions if we don’t have VAR? Wouldn’t those debates be 10 times what is now since we will objectively get more incorrect calls if VAR hadn’t existed? 

Of course there'll always be some debate about controversial decisions, that's been part of football forever

But since VAR was introduced the level of debate about controversial or incorrect decisions has exploded, rather than declining

Every single week of the season there's VAR controversies causing ructions

Cf's plan to reduce how much VAR slows down the game:

Instead of two halves to a match instead have four 15 minute halves with a 5 minute break after each so we can watch some adverts.

During each half VAR will review the various decisions as we go along with a view to correcting them at the end of the half.

• Goals wrongly awarded or not are taken/added as appropriate.
  • Any penalties that should have been given are given now.
  • Any penalties that were wrongly given are balanced by giving a penalty to the other side.
  • Same idea with red cards. If a player was wrongly sent off they're allowed back on and the other team have to lose a player in the same position for the same amount of time in the next half. If someone wasn't sent off when they should have been then they're sent off and also they have to lose another player for the amount of time the other player was on the pitch that shouldn't have been. If this happens in the last half then the other team can request another half to the game and this process continues until no-one has been sent off in the last half.

This will be the game in 10 years time.