Dogawful Officiating: PL to keep VAR next season (official)

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

I can't see how the video can be used for anything other than clear-cut things like offside. Even then, what happens if you go back, find the guy was onside but a teammate made a foul or handball in the buildup or something? Will be interesting anyway, but there'll still be loads of controversy.

For offside, mistaken identity and possibly reviewing a foul to decide between a red or yellow I'd be for video. I don't see how it could work for penalty decisions other than the 4th official seeing something that the ref has clearly missed, he could then ask the ref to review it (I think they do this in Rugby Union). If it is left for the ref to ask for a replay as they are unsure about something then that leads to very murky water and accusations of lack of consistency and bias towards the bigger teams (as usually happens). There'd need to be very clear rules on what the 4th official could look for and god knows what happens when they miss one.

Should be for mistaken identity, off the ball violent conduct incidents, that the ref has missed and for offside/not offside, where the goal has been scored, IMO. 

Even then, I think you'll get problems.  As when the lino flags, the ref will blow his whistle and teams stop playing.  If you bring in video reviews.  Then you could potentially get situations, on a regular basis.  Where linesmen just don't bother to flag, play will continue and then they'll go to the review after the chance has been scored or missed. 

I think linesmen would be really reluctant to get it wrong, when there is a video replay available.  The same way umpires in Cricket, almost always go to the 3rd umpire for run out decisions.  Even when it seems ridiculously obvious that it's out/not out. 

It could really slow the game down and cause even more controversy.  I certainly don't want it for penalties and red cards, where the ref has seen it.  It's still subjective and open to interpretation, surely?  It's a bit different if someone elbows, stamps or punches someone, away from the ref's view.  That could easily be looked at and a red issued after the event. 

Is it not better to review something like that during a break in play (post-goal, pre-set piece, etc) than just leave it and accept that the referee made a mistake (which invariably doesn't happen anyway)?

Would rather more people decide via review than one t*** in waist high black shorts with a hard on for power.

Edit: Should add, you'll still get decisions wrong but there'd be more confidence in the officiating and it being correct.

Even offsides aren't always clear cut. There's judgements about whether a player is influencing play, and even whether some part of their ball-playing anatomy is beyond the last defender.

Fair point on the first one.  Tiote's goal against Man City, clearly should have stood IMO.  But it had pundits and experts, disagreeing. 

I'm not having the second point, though.  You honestly think, that with a video replay, with multiple angles, where they can draw a line across the pitch.  It wouldn't be possible to see if a player's foot, head, knee or whatever, is offside?

I was sat in the South West corner on Tuesday, watched Aguero the whole time he was stood offside to see if he got back onside at any point, right up to the point at which Kolarov struck the ball (which you could actually hear as well as see out of the corner of your eye) and even without being bang in line with the play I could see immediately that he was about 2 yards offside. Absolutely staggering that the linesman didn't raise his flag for it, just complete and utter incompetence to get something like that so clearly wrong from a set piece.

Have we had any match deciding calls go wrongly for us this season? I know you make your own luck and that, but we've been on the wrong end of it too many times this season.

EDIT: Liverpool had a lovely goal wrongly disallowed for off side.

If we go to the reviewing whether a goal really stands after the event scenario it would be a real death knell for the game Imo. Football lives off the orgasmic buzz of the immediacy of a goal being scored - to detract from that would be quell advised

If we go to the reviewing whether a goal really stands after the event scenario it would be a real death knell for the game Imo. Football lives off the orgasmic buzz of the immediacy of a goal being scored - to detract from that would be quell advised

Not really, play usually stops for a minute or so after a goal, in that time a review can be undertaken.

It's awful in cricket now because there's after every wicket there's always the thought of 'it might be a no ball so hold back our celebrations until we know for definite'

Umpires aren't doing their jobs properly since technology has arrived

Guest neesy111

It's awful in cricket now because there's after every wicket there's always the thought of 'it might be a no ball so hold back our celebrations until we know for definite'

Umpires aren't doing their jobs properly since technology has arrived

:thup:

Even offsides aren't always clear cut. There's judgements about whether a player is influencing play, and even whether some part of their ball-playing anatomy is beyond the last defender.

Fair point on the first one.  Tiote's goal against Man City, clearly should have stood IMO.  But it had pundits and experts, disagreeing. 

I'm not having the second point, though.  You honestly think, that with a video replay, with multiple angles, where they can draw a line across the pitch.  It wouldn't be possible to see if a player's foot, head, knee or whatever, is offside?

On the second point - There aren't that many camera angles that are useful for offside, in practice. For the vast majority of the time, it would be effective, but you still occasionally get examples where it's hard to tell whether, say, someone's shoulder is ahead of the last defender. Line across the pitch or no line.

• 2 weeks later...