Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

The audio on that VAR sounds like a startup podcast [emoji38] Not the officiating system for a multibillion pound sport.

Hilariously informal. Need a "the ruling on the field is X. The ruling is correct/should be overturned" style script.

13 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

Quite telling that it’s the video operator, the only person there who the PGMOL think isn’t qualified to make a decision, who notices the mistake.

Amazing how petrified the human mind can be if you overload it with arcane rules and jeopardy.

2 hours ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

It wasn’t that choice though was it. The choice was to compound a bad decision with bypassing another law of the game or respect that law and accept a poor decision has been made.

Agreed.  It was a mistake. You can’t go breaking other rules because the official has made a mistake.  

It sounds like VAR ‘chat’ is like normal refereeing chat between officials. They need better scripts for final decisions.  

‘VAR takes too long’.  

Has it been made clear whether “check complete” is part of the standard protocol or not? Human error is one thing, thought out protocols another. Can’t wrap my head around why the communication between VAR and refs doesn’t include a confirmation of the decision being made by VAR.

3 hours ago, David Edgar said:

No wonder they fuck up decisions working at that intensity. 

Slow the fuck down.

Show the decision making images/process in the stadium and relay the audio too.

Fucking fixed(ish).

Still need more emphasis on linos original calls imo.

Really didn't like how much people moaned about how long VAR would take.

Think trying to do this stuff so much quicker has led to far more issues.

8 minutes ago, KaKa said:

The one guy that refused to right the error is so ridiculous honestly.

Imagine thinking sticking to the rule in that instance was the right call.

Crazy.

Shouldn’t have been the decision of the one that made the mistake at least, should have let the ref know and let him make the decision.

Edited by Displayname

8 minutes ago, Displayname said:

Shouldn’t have been the decision of the one that made the mistake at least, should have let the ref know and let him make the decision.

Yeah, that's a good point.

Didn't even bother checking in with the ref to see what he thought.

Just hearing the audio of how all that transpired, there's definitely going to be a lot more chaos coming this season.

It’s the rule of the game. It’s not up for interpretation for the VAR official or the referee. 

The VAR official has made a mistake and the game has restarted.  Move on. The VAR nor the ref should decide to change the rules of the game. If you do that, everyone else will ask for important decisions to be reevaluated after the game has resumed. There’s been offside goals stood in the PL, VAR didn’t intervene a minute after Bournemouth had the ball over the line. 

It’s a bad decision like many others. 

16 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

It’s the rule of the game. It’s not up for interpretation for the VAR official or the referee. 

The VAR official has made a mistake and the game has restarted.  Move on. The VAR nor the ref should decide to change the rules of the game. If you do that, everyone else will ask for important decisions to be reevaluated after the game has resumed. There’s been offside goals stood in the PL, VAR didn’t intervene a minute after Bournemouth had the ball over the line. 

It’s a bad decision like many others. 

Do you have the exact wording of the rule? 

Pretty sure there is a rule that the ref have to go by the decisions made by VAR regarding offsides. So rules were already broken by letting the game go on with the wrong decision. The question then becomes which rulebreaking does less harm.

3 hours ago, Beren said:

The audio on that VAR sounds like a startup podcast [emoji38] Not the officiating system for a multibillion pound sport.

Hilariously informal. Need a "the ruling on the field is X. The ruling is correct/should be overturned" style script.

[emoji38] Forget temporary suspension, Darren England shouldn't be allowed to VAR a game anymore. The only reason I believe PGMOL hasn't announced his firing is that, potentially there are far worse out there who haven't been caught out like this.

11 hours ago, wormy said:

Have they said they won't release the audio? Liverpool barely asked for it a day ago.

Not to mention I'm sure multiple commentators have stated they get a feed from VAR and their recounting tallies up with the miscommunication line? Can't imagine Gary Neville of all people would keep his mouth shut if he heard blatant cheating. 

You'll find more than enough heated match thread posts from me ranting about 'rigged' and 'corrupt' but with a clear head, it's clear most of it is really subconscious bias towards the 'big' team rather than genuine corruption. Obviously it's still not acceptable. But the idea Liverpool were purposely 'cheated' is particularly outlandish considering they're probably the biggest benefactors of refereeing cock ups. Why would they decide to do it to them just once at random, knowing they're the biggest crybabies in the league and would never let it lie? :lol:

Sorry this is a needlessly long reply but I can't abide the idea they were genuinely 'cheated' rather than it being a common error, because that would imply they have just cause to feel like a genuine victim and they can fuck off with that shite when every other club gets fucked over enough times. :lol:

I can't stand Klopp and Liverpool at the best of times and I agree they get more than their fair share of bias towards them. Yeah you could call it bias and not cheating but for me the two go hand in hand.

It seems the audio was played and it still stinks to me but then again that's just my opinion on it.

10 hours ago, Shearergol said:

You genuinely think someone made a conscious decision to cheat Liverpool out of a goal, in front of millions of people? You really think that?

you think it’s less likely that there’s a level of incompetence in the game?

quite a claim. Nonsense, but still…

To be totally honest, yes I do think someone could easily make a conscious decision to cheat any team out of a goal. It's not like the game's not corrupt. Surely people can't believe it's all above board.

Maybe...just maybe it was a monumental error but I just don't believe it was a monumental error throughout, by all.

As for incompetence in the game, I agree there's a lot but this goes way beyond just incompetence for me.

25 minutes ago, magvicar said:

To be totally honest, yes I do think someone could easily make a conscious decision to cheat any team out of a goal. It's not like the game's not corrupt. Surely people can't believe it's all above board.

Maybe...just maybe it was a monumental error but I just don't believe it was a monumental error throughout, by all.

As for incompetence in the game, I agree there's a lot but this goes way beyond just incompetence for me.

Dunno mate. Sounds like you made a hasty judgment quickly and under pressure (that it was cheating), then when you were given time to consider the evidence and come to the right conclusion (that it was incompetence) you decided that your own laws forbade you from going back and changing that judgment so you let it stand.