Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

Poor display from the ref yesterday. Gave Bournemouth the green light to stop us by repeated fouling that went unpunished beyond  free kicks.

It's the most frustrating thing in football for me at the minute, referees know why teams are doing it but refuse to yellow card for obvious deliberate fouling. 

Also the way Gordon is being targeted with no protection from refs is getting hard to take. See the way he's upended early then a different player does it next time, then someone else. So obvious and nothing is done.

Some sanction needs to be done for repeated team fouling.

19 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Thought he was good for a bit, I prefer refs that let things go, and the decisions have been fine, but they should have like 4 yellow cards. 

In terms of the fouls I thought he mostly called them right, for both sides

The criminal part was the lack of yellow cards, all that did was give them a licence to kick us more and more

Christie should have been on a yellow already before he raked the back of Bruno's leg, he makes that challenge he wasn't booked already

Same for Senesi, clear yellow card on Miggy not given, which then allows him to bring down Barnes in the second half

That made it a shocking performance from the referee, allowed some players an extra kick/foul 

I thought we were too shit to blame the officials for our game.

However, the Robertson one on Toney is as blatant a penalty you'll ever see. The Caicedo one on Doku looks like a stamp and is dangerous play regardless of intent. Right in front of the ref and he doesn't even get a yellow! The handball looks like arm moving to ball. I think you've got to give it.

22 fouls. Plenty of them slide tackles from behind or cynical ones stopping attacks. 3 yellows :lol: 

11 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I still don't understand yesterday's penalty incident. Why was it not offside?

Wasn’t a footballing action or words to that effect. Wasn’t involved in play and going for the ball? so not deemed offside, I guess.

Seems a bit odd that you can then give a penalty if he’s not involved. But it was a clear shirt pull. 

49 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

22 fouls. Plenty of them slide tackles from behind or cynical ones stopping attacks. 3 yellows :lol: 

Wasn’t a footballing action or words to that effect. Wasn’t involved in play and going for the ball? so not deemed offside, I guess.

Seems a bit odd that you can then give a penalty if he’s not involved. But it was a clear shirt pull. 

It might be the modern laws of the game, but I think we got very lucky with that one.

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

I still don't understand yesterday's penalty incident. Why was it not offside?

As the foul occurred before Schar was in  the action of attempting to make contact with the ball, the 1st offence is the shirt pull. At that point there is no guarantee that Schar, unimpeded, would have got to the ball or significantly influenced play. 

IMO that seems the correct thing to do.

1 hour ago, Lush Vlad said:

Whats odd about it ? Imagine a player is in an offside position but not directly interfering at that phase but a defender grabs him from behind and throws him to the ground. Is that a pen ? It's exactly the same.

Here's a thought though, the offence starred outside the box and carried on inside but I'm not sure the defender made it into the box because of the stretch if the shirt, so attacker inside the box, defender out..... where is the offence committed?

5 minutes ago, madras said:

Here's a thought though, the offence starred outside the box and carried on inside but I'm not sure the defender made it into the box because of the stretch if the shirt, so attacker inside the box, defender out..... where is the offence committed?

I thought if the contact carries on into the box. It’s a pen. Same as Burn on Ogbene. Schar was in the box. 

Just now, Lush Vlad said:

I thought if the contact carries on into the box. It’s a pen. Same as Burn on Ogbene. Schar was in the box. 

But was the defender, did the stretched shirt cover the 18yd line. Is it Schrodingers penalty of being both inside and outside the box.

13 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

As the foul occurred before Schar was in  the action of attempting to make contact with the ball, the 1st offence is the shirt pull. At that point there is no guarantee that Schar, unimpeded, would have got to the ball or significantly influenced play. 

That's 1 version of the laws, the other is they didn't deem schar to be offside.

Motd explained both scenarios.

Edited by El Prontonise

4 minutes ago, El Prontonise said:

I don't think it was a pen, it's offside first and foremost and would be pissed off if it was given at the other end.

If an attacker had scored a header from that cross 5ft to the right of Schar, would you expect it to be ruled out for offside ?

36 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

:thup:

1 hour ago, madras said:

But was the defender, did the stretched shirt cover the 18yd line. Is it Schrodingers penalty of being both inside and outside the box.

I thought about that. I think the answer becomes more clear if you take it to the absurd. Imagine if after Dubravka slipped and Solanke was about to tap in, Gordon fired a taser at him from the halfway line, reducing him to a quivering, pissing wreck on the floor and averting a goal. Would it be a penalty or a free kick in the centre circle? There's your answer :laugh:

Just now, 80 said:

I thought about that. I think the answer becomes more clear if you take it to the absurd. Imagine if after Dubravka slipped and Solanke was about to tap in, Gordon fired a taser at him from the halfway line, reducing him to a quivering, pissing wreck on the floor and averting a goal. Would it be a penalty or a free kick in the centre circle? There's your answer :laugh:

Only one way to know for sure. I say we do it V Arsenal.

2 hours ago, madras said:

To carry it on what if the initial blast of the tazer was when the attacker was outside the box but he was still being tazed as he went down just inside?

The Dan Burn precedent says that would be treated as though the victim was inside the area. Not clear on how it's seen if the victim's convulsions propel their body out of the penalty area, though. Controversial one.

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed, we definitely go the rub of the green from the ref tonight, thought he had a shocker tbh, but thankfully in our favour. Loads of 50/50s that he gave us, nothing huge or important but enough of them to piss of a Blackburn fan I'd imagine. It happens