Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

He is a talented player but not even the best player at the club, probably 5th best as others have been consistently talented.

He can be the greatest but still needs to be. In that case I think he is looking more of a player for Arsenal, Atletico, rich Russian clubs, the top German teams.

Ben Arfa is motivated by different stuff to money and trophies. It is still important, but he chose us as the better all round package and I don't think he is ready to leave for those sort of clubs.

I agree he probably isn't the best player at the club, but he certainly the most talented and enjoyable to watch. His highest level is unbeatable.

The reason we love him is his love for the game. He plays it the way every player would and should love to play it. Everything he does is done with such elegance and class, not players like him around at the top level. I was watching some Zidane footage the other day. In no way am I comparing them, but they share the same approach, using their exceptional talent to solve every situation.

Absolutely nothing wrong with those comments. It's sad but true that if HBA plays like he has the potential there's no chance we can hold on to him for many years as every massive club in the world would want him. Let's just enjoy him when we can.  :rose:

Amen.

I'm with Dave here. Cannit stand this 'We can't stand in his way' shit. Of course we can.

You become one of those clubs by holding onto players like HBA.

I'm with Dave here. Cannit stand this 'We can't stand in his way' s***. Of course we can.

Agree in part.  We have every right to stand in his way until the right bid comes in. 

However, knowing when to sell and how to buy well like we have done in this last year and a half is realistically the only way we're going to get anywhere near the top.  We don't have the money to spend indiscriminately so we have to be savvy and we have to sell individual players when the price is right so we can improve the squad as a whole.

I would only ever want to sell for the good of the club, not for the good of the player.

I'm with Dave here. Cannit stand this 'We can't stand in his way' s***. Of course we can.

That's the ideal, but we have to be realistic...

http://www.liverpool-kop.com/2012/06/wing-star-admits-i-would-leave-if.html

6/09/2012 11:00:00 PM

Wing star admits: I would leave if a 'serious' offer came in. Should LFC bid...?

France winger Hatem Ben Arfa has been a revelation at Newcastle United, but despite being 'settled' at the club, he's admitted that he could leave if a 'big club' came in for him over the summer. Given Liverpool's lack of real attacking quality at the moment, should the club be looking at Ben Arfa as a potential recruit?

Speaking to Sky Sports yesterday, Ben Arfa - who is currently at Euro 2012 with France - said:

"If I don't have a really very, very serious proposition, I will stay [At Newcastle].

"If a big club comes but doesn't propose me something very exciting, which means the coach really wants me, I will stay. If I don't feel trust from the coach at 100 per cent, I will not leave"

Prior to Ben Arfa's move to Newcastle, Liverpool were heavily linked with a possible move, and if Ben Arfa was 100% committed to Newcastle then surely he would just say 'I'm happy here and don't want to leave'.

The fact that he gives specific examples of what it would take to make him leave suggests that he's more than willing to consider moving to a different club.

Newcastle are a great club, but Liverpool is undoubtedly a bigger club, and if the Reds really wanted Ben Arfa, then I'm sure Brendan Rodgers would be able to convince him to come to Anfield.

What do you think? Should Liverpool pursue Ben Arfa and make a 'serious proposition' for his services?

:spit:

Guest sicko2ndbest

Wing star admits: I would leave if a 'serious' offer came in. Should LFC bid...?

France winger Hatem Ben Arfa has been a revelation at Newcastle United, but despite being 'settled' at the club, he's admitted that he could leave if a 'big club' came in for him over the summer. Given Liverpool's lack of real attacking quality at the moment, should the club be looking at Ben Arfa as a potential recruit?

Speaking to Sky Sports yesterday, Ben Arfa - who is currently at Euro 2012 with France - said:

"If I don't have a really very, very serious proposition, I will stay [At Newcastle].

"If a big club comes but doesn't propose me something very exciting, which means the coach really wants me, I will stay. If I don't feel trust from the coach at 100 per cent, I will not leave"

Prior to Ben Arfa's move to Newcastle, Liverpool were heavily linked with a possible move, and if Ben Arfa was 100% committed to Newcastle then surely he would just say 'I'm happy here and don't want to leave'.

The fact that he gives specific examples of what it would take to make him leave suggests that he's more than willing to consider moving to a different club.

Newcastle are a great club, but Liverpool is undoubtedly a bigger club, and if the Reds really wanted Ben Arfa, then I'm sure Brendan Rodgers would be able to convince him to come to Anfield.

What do you think? Should Liverpool pursue Ben Arfa and make a 'serious proposition' for his services?

The comments are great reading. Liverpool get pasted

He owes us at least another season. He's right to bear in mind that we gave him a permanent contract when he had a badly broken leg and his career was at a low point. That was a quite exceptional vote of confidence and he should respect that.

Plus I think we are the right club for him at this point. He's a valued member of a team that's on the up, and he's improved as a player himself. There should be more to come, and he's got more chance of developing his ability now in our environment than if he was a bit player at a mega-club.

If HBA keeps up his performances of late and we keep our current squad, makes a couple of reinforcements like Deubuchy and  avoid long term injuries on key players I see us as a serious candidate for CL next year. For HBA I really don't think it's about money. He wants to play football on the highest level. Besides, in NUFC he's the biggest fish in the bowl. He's loved and adored. That counts a lot for him I think. If we qualify for CL I really don't believe he'll leave, unless Barca or Real comes knocking.

When he says big clubs he is talking about massive, top level clubs imo and he's not going to walk into those kinds of sides. I think he will stay.

He needs to work on his stability. On his best day he's unstoppable. If he manages to harness his potential he's capable to walk into the best teams. Very, very few players are capable of replicating his goals against Blackburn and Bolton.

He has got the potential to be an amazing player, you could probably count on one hand the players around who could score a goal similar to the one against Blackburn.

He will be class next season when he's in the team every week.

This is a stupid debate for a number of reasons.

Firstly, we should never advocate losing our best players. The whole point of football, is fans flocking to watch great teams and wonderful players, not being a stepping stone to supposed (or actual) bigger clubs. Therefore regardless of a fee in which we may get, or the club in which he may join, the only emotion we should feel is disappontment that we won't get to watch that player again.

Secondly, worrying about Ben Arfa moving is pointless. IF he moves, we won't get a choice where he goes, only he will decide that. Ben Arfa has already proved that he's not particularly bothered about whether the club likes it or not. If he wants to leave, he will leave. He can say he loves the club and that he's happy, he's found his home etc but haven't we heard it all before? Jose Enrique proved never to trust the shite that comes out of footballers mouths.

If a "big club" (which is a horrible term), comes in for Ben Arfa and he fancies the money or the trophies or the lifestyle, he will leave. However, there is no point worrying, as it is the same for every other footballer who walks through the doors of SJP, including those from Newcastle. It's also the same for every other club in the world, other than perhaps Barcelona.

Firstly, we should never advocate losing our best players. The whole point of football, is fans flocking to watch great teams and wonderful players, not being a stepping stone to supposed (or actual) bigger clubs. Therefore regardless of a fee in which we may get, or the club in which he may join, the only emotion we should feel is disappontment that we won't get to watch that player again.

Secondly, worrying about Ben Arfa moving is pointless. IF he moves, we won't get a choice where he goes, only he will decide that. Ben Arfa has already proved that he's not particularly bothered about whether the club likes it or not. If he wants to leave, he will leave. He can say he loves the club and that he's happy, he's found his home etc but haven't we heard it all before? Jose Enrique proved never to trust the shite that comes out of footballers mouths.

If a "big club" (which is a horrible term), comes in for Ben Arfa and he fancies the money or the trophies or the lifestyle, he will leave. However, there is no point worrying, as it is the same for every other footballer who walks through the doors of SJP, including those from Newcastle. It's also the same for every other club in the world, other than perhaps Barcelona.

Terrific summary.

Guest Eriksen

Comment:

"why even bother arguing with a Newcastle fan? Haha..

Nobody wants to be newcastle fan outside UK! Haha..

Go out and see the world mate."

Strange.. Cause I'm a 16 year old NUFC fan from Norway, and there is thousands of NUFC fans here. Ofcourse there is more Liverpool fans here, but still..

A bit harsh comparing Enrique to HBA. Besides the obvious difference in talent and intelligence,  HBA has been in the media for the wrong reasons in France, which you could not say about Enrique before his twitter-gate.  It could be possible that HBA is a different person now compared to pre-NUFC. I think his injury really opened his eyes. It was a potential career ender, and to just write that off and say that he'll move if given the opportunity really ignores the complexity of human nature. Enrique never had the same adaption problems as HBA, neither has he had his calf cut in two.  The way the club followed him up after the injury didn't hurt either. If he moves, he'll do it because the move will make him a better footballer. He'll not go to a 4th placed Chelsea because they give him stupid money.