Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

Incredible f***ing player his talent is out of this world. Imagine him playing in Bobbys team with Shearer, Bellamy, Robert, and Solano.

Bobby would have played him every game and told everybody how good he was, they would have loved each other.

Its times like this that makes me really miss Bobby and demonstrates the gulf of difference between Bobby and wannabes like Pards. Apart from his preference for Bowyer over Solano towards the end, Bobby was always spot on in the way he managed flair players. He would have gotten the best out of HBA and let him play his natural game, Pardew's constant negative sound bytes is just going to inhibit his game and at can be demotivating

What a crock. Robson could be just as bad, especially in the way he failed to make the most of Viana.

Thought he was class yesterday personally.  Lifted the flat crowd, to a level just above flat, switched play really well and often takes 2 or 3 players out the game with a run or pass.  You can see his workrate off the ball is improving, not sure if it is down to being bollocked off Pardew, him getting fitter after the injury or a bit of both.  But he tracked back fairly well, pressed the ball and followed SWP for about 50 yards when he was going through 1 on 1 in the second half.

I was also impressed with his strength.  Quite a few times he muscled people off the ball, or backed in and held it up.  The counter that he set up when he passed to Colo and near the end of the game when he brought a free kick were perfect examples of this.

Don't get me wrong, he has his faults.  He holds onto it for far too long at times, seems reluctant to shoot or cross and seems hell bent on skinning every opposition player.

But in the changed 4-2-3-1/4-3-3, he looked the business, him, Jonas and Guthrie all seemed comfortable playing that formation.  Rather have this than 3 flat, rigid lines in a 4-4-2 with Ryan Taylor or Obertan wide right and zero movement. 

I watched most the game back when I got in from the match and MY WORD Wilkins is a bit of a dick.  I disagree with him, I think Ben Arfa is a wonderfully talented young man  :rolleyes:

Love watching this guy play  :smitten:

Guest neesy111

Not the first time an injury might have actually helped us stumble across a new system. It was injuries to Milner and N'Zogbia which helped bring about that 4-3-3 under Keegan. If this injury helps us keep this system we could be on to a winner.

One of the best one's I can remember was Shearer's injury with Rob Lee at Derby 2002.  We were 2nd best all of the game till then, brought on Lua Lua and it spurred us on to the champions league for rest of the season.

Really positive quotes in that article. The Cabaye injury was a blessing in disguise.

You're right bout the positive quotes, not quite sure I like the sound of "the coach likes the long, direct game. He often says, "cross it in the box" though

Really positive quotes in that article. The Cabaye injury was a blessing in disguise.

You're right bout the positive quotes, not quite sure I like the sound of "the coach likes the long, direct game. He often says, "cross it in the box" though

Aye, Pards has obviously been talking to his mate Gary 'get the ball in the box' Birtles.

Hmm think Pardews more of a long ball manager than I'd like but not completely, and think he probably wants to be more direct and get more balls into box rather than over elaborate and just pass it around. I like the directness but we need to control the game and keep the ball when we aren't as sharp in  front of goal without Ba

I think the style of play will change, the more and more he establishes himself in the first team to be honest. While Pardew's cautious style can be incredibly frustrating and doesn't get the best out of some very good footballers, it has been justified, in particular with yesterday, as it was the first game without our top and only real goalscorer. In a couple of months Ben Arfa will be the heartbeat of our attacking play imo, right now he's just got to keep his head down and convince AP, which he looks prepared to do.

Aye, a wannabe who's on course to beat the points totals from our last 7 Premier League seasons, including Bobby's last one.

And how many 'flair' players did Bobby have? You could argue that Robert was one, certainly, but his statistics, directness and contribution towards Shearer's game made him undroppable.

As per usual, Ben Arfa should come first.

What? So just because we are doing well, Pardew is immune to criticisms? I'll remember next time you open your mouth on him.

Everyone is open to 'criticisms'.

Calling him daft names, and using your hero as currency against him isn't fair. Neither is comparing his situation to Bobby's, for the reasons I outlined.

Incredible f***ing player his talent is out of this world. Imagine him playing in Bobbys team with Shearer, Bellamy, Robert, and Solano.

Bobby would have played him every game and told everybody how good he was, they would have loved each other.

Its times like this that makes me really miss Bobby and demonstrates the gulf of difference between Bobby and wannabes like Pards. Apart from his preference for Bowyer over Solano towards the end, Bobby was always spot on in the way he managed flair players. He would have gotten the best out of HBA and let him play his natural game, Pardew's constant negative sound bytes is just going to inhibit his game and at can be demotivating

What a crock. Robson could be just as bad, especially in the way he failed to make the most of Viana.

Aye. Malignant nonsense as per usual.

Aye. Malignant nonsense as per usual.

:undecided: