Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

Ball to Santon = Gold.

One other moment he helped us break from defence incredibly quickly. Apart from this, he was doing a lot more running around. He lost the ball maybe four or five times but who didn't, we were appalling today. I was watching his performance intently and I think he changed his game slightly to try and suit Pardew. A lot of the time he was looking for an easy pass. Don't have much else to say other than he's one of my first names on the team sheet

He's certainly beginning to look the player we signed last season and the one who tore up Everton. He's gliding past defenders with ease, playing the ball well and holding possession brilliantly.

i don't think he has a great understanding with his team mates atm, which slightly influences him releasing the ball. that will come with time but only if we work at it and play the right style of football.

the one player he does seem to link up with intuitively is Ba and together they've put together some enviable moves but that will have to wait. saying that he did slip 2 or 3 superb passes through, including a great one to Best.

also think those tentative shuffles inside worked fairly well today - either he was able to shift his balance quickly and push past his marker, or he'd check back and play the easier pass and run into space. but the more he play the more those moments will change from tentative to explosive, a la that everton match where he'd brilliantly move into dangerous spaces over and over.

Guest Howaythetoon

He played well today without being anything special which is probably what Pardew wants to see more of. That said, he was clearly in two minds many a time on the ball and that is down to Pardew's thus far poor man management of this player for me and it could have quite a negative impact on his game and indeed our performances. If you are a player with his ability you need to be given confidence, you do not need negativity in your game, especially when you've just come back from a year out with a serious injury.

Pardew praises his blue chip men like Shola and Obertan despite in the main performing extremely poorly yet he has sly digs at Ben Arfa. That needs to change. He should be filling his head with positive thoughts and telling him to get at his man, take him on etc. Too often today he could be heard shouting "hold it" to Ben Arfa. On the wing? He should be instructed to either give and go or to take his man on. Anyway he needs games and a good run, either wide or in a free role. Centrally or 'in the hole' he doesn't have the wherewithall for me, not fully anyway, but we are a better side with him than without him, so select him Alan.

He played well today without being anything special which is probably what Pardew wants to see more of. That said, he was clearly in two minds many a time on the ball and that is down to Pardew's thus far poor man management of this player for me and it could have quite a negative impact on his game and indeed our performances. If you are a player with his ability you need to be given confidence, you do not need negativity in your game, especially when you've just come back from a year out with a serious injury.

Pardew praises his blue chip men like Shola and Obertan despite in the main performing extremely poorly yet he has sly digs at Ben Arfa. That needs to change. He should be filling his head with positive thoughts and telling him to get at his man, take him on etc. Too often today he could be heard shouting "hold it" to Ben Arfa. On the wing? He should be instructed to either give and go or to take his man on. Anyway he needs games and a good run, either wide or in a free role. Centrally or 'in the hole' he doesn't have the wherewithall for me, not fully anyway, but we are a better side with him than without him, so select him Alan.

How do you know?

Anyone who has ever managed anyone, in any walk of life, knows different people respond to different techniques.

yep Ben Arfa needs a spell where he is guaranteed a start for 9 or 10 games no matter how he plays - ie the same kind of patience and faith afforded to obertan. that would give him a composure and confidence that will let him play naturally, not worrying about having to make the most out of cameo appearances and such like.

think he did self-police himself a bit later on - pardew was constantly in his ear about holding back when he was off the ball and he was holding a position in line with Perch rather than making a run.

After seeing Pardew's post match interview I think he's going to start next week.

Aye went out of his way to single him out twice in this interview....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16568717.stm

He's beginning to become a force and growing. He's starting to manoevure his way into the starting team. He was very good today he's starting to take on board the team ethos we have here..

Played well and he more than helped out defensively. We have said it for a while now BUT he has to start, we are a better side with him in in

Yes he lost the ball a few times BUT did he lose it more than any of the other players(midfield-strikers)? I don't think so, I would much prefer seeing him try to beat a man than us just launch it to Shola only to see us lose the header and the 2nd ball

Yup.

(half of this post is incorrect)

Watched the goal again.  Excellent play by Ben Arfa to put the ball into Shola and then he makes an extremely intelligent run to be square of Best just before Best puts it into the net.

Just wouldn't have scored that goal with Obertan in the team.

Guest VaVaVoom

Watched the goal again.  Excellent play by Ben Arfa to put the ball into Shola and then he makes an extremely intelligent run to be square of Best just before Best puts it into the net.

Just wouldn't have scored that goal with Obertan in the team.

Gutierrez ball into shola no?

After a run of games, he'll be fine. Looking forward to seeing how it pans out with him, think there were a lot of pluses for him today.

Aye, he needs a run of games to:

- Firstly, get his confidence up;

- Secondly, bring up his match sharpness;

- Finally, develop an understanding with the rest of the team on the field so that most of the moves he attempts are actually pulled off.

To get the best out of Ben Arfa, you simply have to give him a run in the team.

From memory when he first signed and looking at his Youtube comps he has always liked to keep hold of the ball a bit too long at times but I'm not overly bothered by it because when he does something he does it very well. Some of his passes today were stupid (in a good way).

"Hatem was absolutely terrific, we've got him coming alive – and his work-rate was fantastic," said Pardew, forgetting, temporarily, all those moments which explain why he routinely describes Ben Arfa as "high maintenance".

So why not name him in the starting lineup? "I was tempted," said Newcastle's manager. "But I felt that, by putting Ryan Taylor wide on the right, the balance of the team would be better. As things turned out it wasn't working and the injury to Yohan pre-empted what I was going to do anyway."

I hope he's being sincere there. :thup: