Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

How can we justify signing a striker for 9m and not starting him against Norwich?

It bothers me that we seem to have four number 9's, and no-one who really looks the part as secondary striker in a 4-4-2. (Jury's still out on Ben Arfa) We'd all like to see Ba and Cisse in the same side, but maybe we have to go 4-3-3 for that.

From what I've seen so far, and admittedly it's early days, I've got my doubts in this area. Ba's reputation has been built on his goalscoring, not his link-up play, and we've bought another goalscorer. They don't yet look like a combination to me.

:thup:

Ba's been at his best this season playing as a number 9 not as a secondary striker. Maybe people just have different ideas about what those terms mean, but for me he's at his best when he can get in the box and be the prime recipient of chances, having another player doing work for him, not the other way round. This holds true whether it was Shola putting himself about, Best being our target man, or Ben Arfa dropping deep and linking.

Not saying him and Cisse can't work together, but it will need some hand's on tinkering from the manager (if he can be bothered to take his eyes off defence) to slightly adjust their natural playing styles. Both of them have good link play and movement so as long as they take turns being the poacher it should be fine. Ba's a bit stronger and better in the air so it makes sense to have him a bit more central, while Cisse's a bit quicker out of the blocks so perhaps let him roam a tad more and exploit space out wide. Oh, and long ball isn't an option if they're both in the team - not even a plan B imo, it's as good as giving the ball away.

:thup:

There's no merit to this idea that he needs someone alongside him "doing the work", as if van Persie plays alongside Heskey, the only way you need that is if you are going to heave balls up in the air that need bringing down. Enough pace and width in the team with players getting ahead of the ball and two good strikers can prosper quite nicely, thank you very much.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2012/03/15/hatem-ben-arfa-goal-raises-nufc-fans-expectations-61634-30539811/

Hatem Ben Arfa goal raises NUFC fans' expectations

by Mark Douglas, The Journal

Mar 15 2012

Hatem Ben Arfa’s brilliant goal on Monday has raised expectations that he has finally arrived as a Newcastle player. Mark Douglas investigates the Ben Arfa phenomenon

THE French have a word for it – “adroit”.

The literal translation into English is skilful, but in the context of Newcastle United virtuoso Hatem Ben Arfa it conjures a more romantic image. It evokes the majestic way the forward is able to accelerate in a matter of seconds from a languid, standing start into a frenzied whir of black and white, annexing the opposition defence before delivering a brutally deadly finish.

On Tyneside, we have witnessed this brilliance in tantalising glimpses. Ben Arfa has scored four times for Newcastle in his comeback season and invariably they have been blue chip goals – mini examples of the alchemy that saw him earmarked as one of France’s greatest talents from an early age.

Monday’s effort might not have matched the slaloming solo effort that bewitched Blackburn’s back four in January, but it was still brilliant in its own right, the speed of thought and shot conspiring to give United their one moment to cherish at the Emirates.

The problem is these flashes of genius have usually been followed by a swing of the axe by Alan Pardew. On each of the three previous occasions Ben Arfa has scored he has not started the following game – a tactic which has brought two defeats and one victory for Pardew’s bold call.

The theory advanced by some is that Pardew doesn’t trust Ben Arfa in the big games, but in fact the opposite is true. The Newcastle manager has started his France forward in matches against Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea and Arsenal – but left him on the bench when United have gone toe-to-toe with relative lightweights like Wolves, QPR and West Brom.

Pardew’s approach seems to be that a hard-working Newcastle are good enough to grind out results against their mid-table rivals but when they met the big guns he wants Ben Arfa’s unpredictability in his arsenal. The stats back up that version of events – of his five Premier League starts four have come against top-five clubs, with Fulham the only exception to that rule.

With 12th-placed Norwich the visitors on Sunday, anxiety might be rising in Ben Arfa’s sizeable band of black and white believers. The Canaries have been good but they are no great shakes – and the worry might be that Pardew checks his forward’s momentum by picking a team to match their work ethic and organisation.

Perhaps they needn’t worry, for the signs are that Pardew is getting close to solving the Ben Arfa conundrum. You can never say it with certainty when dealing with such an enigma but there is evidence that the United manager’s message is beginning to resonate with his 23-year-old charge.

Directly after his goal at the Emirates, Ben Arfa gave the ball away near the centre circle. He was trying something typically tricky but it didn’t come off, and Tomas Rosicky began to home in on the Newcastle goal. The Ben Arfa of old might have surrendered possession but there was a discernible determination in his efforts to retrieve the ball at the Emirates. He may never be a tireless operator like Cheick Tiote, but there is hope for him yet.

For a stats zealot like Pardew, such progress will be hugely encouraging. With the GPS bands and heart rate monitors that are mandatory for Newcastle players during training, Ben Arfa has found no escape from the standards expected of every squad member. At times it has been a steep learning curve and his punishment for dropping below those standards has been a first-team exile which has hurt his manager almost as much as Ben Arfa. But it was felt that no exception could be made for the young Frenchman, whatever his unique gift.

Ben Arfa’s close friend and advisor Simon Stainrod offers an insight into the change in the young charge.

“I think the change in Hatem is down to hard work and having a little bit of patience,” he told The Journal. “It hasn’t been easy for him with the very serious injury and the fact that the team was doing so well, but I think he’s been mature in his approach and, looking at it from the outside, both the manager and Hatem have handled it very well.

“It has been a very steep learning curve for Hatem. He’s had to realise that if you’re playing English football, there are certain responsibilities that you need to take on board. You have to work harder than perhaps he was used to and team shape is an important part of it. What you’re seeing now is a combination of things – Hatem maybe understands English football better and he is now 100% fit for the first time for a long time, and getting time on the pitch.

“I was there on Monday and his goal was typical Hatem. Every time he gets the ball you just think ‘Go on’ – you know he can come up with something truly special and that is what I like about watching him play.”

Ben Arfa’s lack of game time has provided grist to a Tyneside rumour mill that would have you believe he will be sold at the end of the season for failing to fulfil his promise.

Poppycock, according to club insiders. Devout Muslim Ben Arfa is “happy” in Newcastle too, says Stainrod.

“I speak to him and Hatem’s relaxed in Newcastle – he loves living in England and playing for the club,” he told The Journal. “He’s a single boy living on his own in Newcastle and he lives a sensible, athlete’s life. He’s a top pro and the image of him as arrogant couldn’t be further from the truth.

“He’s actually very humble and he’s very aware that he has a responsibility for the gifts that he’s got. He wants to make the most of them and he wants to do it at Newcastle.”

:thup: :thup:

Very encouraging article and fits with the other stuff we've been reading about Hatem really. All credit to the lad for not getting too frustrated when he's not been playing.

Dare we suggest that Pardew has actually been managing him quite well behind the scenes?

I just feel he could have gotten up to speed earlier in the season if Pardew hadn't persisted with Taylor or Obertan.

Just hope he continues to have impact on games now and establishes himself for real. What an asset he can be, one of the most talented players in the league.

I think everything has been said that needs to be said on the Ben Arfa subject. If he can't find a place in our side, then I find it quite strange.

Hopefully, the tide has turned in Hatems favour.

He really is something. The ease with which he scored against Arsenal was just a joke really, made it look like it was nothin. Could easily make himself the highest scoring winger in the league next season with the ability he has.

That's his favourite move that like isn't it. Moving down the right, one touch to the left and then bang. What's better is that I think the defenders know its coming but can't stop it. The second they think they have worked him out, he just nutmegs them.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Could well solve a few of our midfield goalscoring issues. Great confidence and a great shot on him. Deadly.

Good quotes.  Think the stuff in the article about him being preferred for the big games is bullshit mind.  Wasn't Best injured for the City, Man U and Chelsea games and we didn't have many alternatives?  Plus there was no way he could have not started on Monday after the second half against sunderland, just coincidence IMO and seems like column filler.

If that was the case, I would be massively worried.  Not trusting him in winnable games against poor defences and lesser sides.  But instead playing him in games where we don't have much of a chance, won't see much of the ball and will be defending/'working hard' for long periods?  Mental logic.

Not a big fan of Douglas TBH, ever since he said on twitter "Williamson is more similar to Colo than S.Taylor"  :idiot2:

ALAN PARDEW says that Hatem Ben Arfa is hitting the right notes at just the right time.

With the Premier League now into the final straight, Ben Arfa’s last two performances against Sunderland and Arsenal have been standout features of Newcastle’s play.

Ben Arfa dazzled Sunderland in the second half and helped deny the Wearsiders their first win on Tyneside for 12 years. Then against Arsenal he stunned the home team with a terrific opener that almost earned a vital point at the Emirates Stadium.

Pardew has consistently monitored both Ben Arfa’s fitness and attitude this season – and has been quick to leave him out of the team when he has felt the need. But following his contributions in recent weeks, and calls for him to be a more frequent starter, Pardew told the Chronicle: “I can’t fault him – I thought it was terrific.

“It was a great goal (at Arsenal), and his workrate was terrific.

“You have to say that.”

But Pardew wants to see more of the same from the former Marseille star.

Ben Arfa has bagged four goals this season and chipped in with three assists.

Looking back on Ben Arfa’s cracker at the Emirates, Pardew said: “It was just a quick shot.

“If a player takes a quick, early shot like that, the keeper ain’t set it’ll cause problems.

“It was a good goal. He had a chance in the second half right near the end, and I thought he was going to do it again. He just took it across the box.”

Many fans have wanted Ben Arfa in the starting XI because of the magic in his boots. But United have demanded work-rate to boot.

However, Pardew feels that it is all coming together now.

The former West Ham United manager said: “He’s got that in him – he can win games from nothing.”

Ben Arfa seems to have matured as there does not seem to have been any falling out with manager or players and there has not really been any complaining in the media.  There was that article where he said he liked the way Swansea played which was interpreted that he did not like our style but that seemed to pass by quite smoothly.

ALAN PARDEW says that Hatem Ben Arfa is hitting the right notes at just the right time.

With the Premier League now into the final straight, Ben Arfa’s last two performances against Sunderland and Arsenal have been standout features of Newcastle’s play.

Ben Arfa dazzled Sunderland in the second half and helped deny the Wearsiders their first win on Tyneside for 12 years. Then against Arsenal he stunned the home team with a terrific opener that almost earned a vital point at the Emirates Stadium.

Pardew has consistently monitored both Ben Arfa’s fitness and attitude this season – and has been quick to leave him out of the team when he has felt the need. But following his contributions in recent weeks, and calls for him to be a more frequent starter, Pardew told the Chronicle: “I can’t fault him – I thought it was terrific.

“It was a great goal (at Arsenal), and his workrate was terrific.

“You have to say that.”

But Pardew wants to see more of the same from the former Marseille star.

Ben Arfa has bagged four goals this season and chipped in with three assists.

Looking back on Ben Arfa’s cracker at the Emirates, Pardew said: “It was just a quick shot.

“If a player takes a quick, early shot like that, the keeper ain’t set it’ll cause problems.

“It was a good goal. He had a chance in the second half right near the end, and I thought he was going to do it again. He just took it across the box.”

Many fans have wanted Ben Arfa in the starting XI because of the magic in his boots. But United have demanded work-rate to boot.

However, Pardew feels that it is all coming together now.

The former West Ham United manager said: “He’s got that in him – he can win games from nothing.”

Oh do FUCK OFF!

Not You Wilson  :lol:

Very encouraging article and fits with the other stuff we've been reading about Hatem really. All credit to the lad for not getting too frustrated when he's not been playing.

Dare we suggest that Pardew has actually been managing him quite well behind the scenes?

Certainly not. It was  obvious months ago that if Hatem ever got playing at all then the likes of you would be coming out with stuff like this. If it really needs explaining to you then there is no point. Pointless telling someone something they won't understand/refuse to acknowledge.

I hope this is the case, he's clearly the most talented player we have had in a very long time and we need to make it work because if we didnt id feel we will go on to regret it.

Plus if he stayed we would'nt have to buy a winger and use that money we would have had to spend on other players  :D

Hope he starts every game between now and the end of the season, he could provide us that boost we need to get over the line for a European place.

he's looked a lot sharper this last couple of games, so the debate goes either of two ways 1) yes he was fit but not match fit as you can see by how much sharper he is now, many players pick up injuries when playing when not match fit so it may have been a good idea to ease him back no matter how long it took. or 2) he'll get match fit quicker by playing matches.

Certainly not. It was  obvious months ago that if Hatem ever got playing at all then the likes of you would be coming out with stuff like this. If it really needs explaining to you then there is no point. Pointless telling someone something they won't understand/refuse to acknowledge.

Christ almighty.

I don't who the likes of me are, but anyway. What I'm saying is that there's a possibility that the relationship between Pardew and HBA is pretty good, and he's been explaining and coaxing him through the time he hasn't been playing.

I'm not saying that he wouldn't have done well if he had played more, if you look at my posts I've been clamouring for him to start more all season. But he hasn't spit the dummy out or been frozen out permanently, so some decent management might have gone on behind the scenes.

Like madras says there are different ways to look at how he has been eased in. But there's no way the answer to whether he has been managed well can be "certainly not", because you haven't got a clue what has gone on.

Guest Deadmau5

We? Suggesting that is taking it a bit far like. :lol:

He should have been a regular starter 6 months ago.

Pardew has done the club alot of good, but the mismanagement of Ben Arfa has been criminal, especially considering who he has been competing against.

A penny for Laurent Blancs thoughts seeing Obertan starting over Hatem week in/week out.  :)

Guest Deadmau5
What I'm saying is that there's a possibility that the relationship between Pardew and HBA is pretty good, and he's been explaining and coaxing him through the time he hasn't been playing.

But Pardews lack of faith in him is the reason he havent been playing. Patting him on the back while giving Obertan the keys to the car isn`t good management. Its like giving giving kidnappers credit for giving the victim water and food.

Bottom line is that keeping Ben Arfa out of the squad up until now seeing what he can offer, is in many ways the same howler the tevez and mascherano benching turned out to be.

We have been robbed of this for half a year, and that is down to bad management.

Pardew gets alot of stick on here it seems, some just, some unjust. But when it comes to Ben Arfa, he deserves criticism.

I think you're misunderstanding what I mean.

First, there's good management involved in keeping a player motivated and happy even when you're not selecting him.

Second, even if you believe that HBA should have been starting earlier (which I do as well) then if he keeps up his current form you might be forced to consider that holding him back until now wasn't such a bad decision after all. Obviously there's a lot of speculation involved in either view, because we can't know for sure either way.

Guest Deadmau5

I see your side of the arguement, but aside from struggling with the sheer logic of not selecting him, I cant give Pardew credit for handling a problem that he himself created. Also, to which extent can you keep such a  player happy that isnt getting time on the pitch, especially a mercurial talent and international such as Hatem? 

I think he was always going to give us performances such as this, was just a matter of playing time.  Saying that waiting until now "unleashing" him is what have caused these performances are highly assumptious.

Using the logical guidance of Occams razor, the simplest explanation is that if you put HBA on the pitch, this is what you are going to get, for good and for bad.

A bit like giving Martin Jol credit for starting Clint Dempsey really. The performance is just there, simple as.

What I'm saying is that there's a possibility that the relationship between Pardew and HBA is pretty good, and he's been explaining and coaxing him through the time he hasn't been playing.

But Pardews lack of faith in him is the reason he havent been playing. Patting him on the back while giving Obertan the keys to the car isn`t good management. Its like giving giving kidnappers credit for giving the victim water and food.

Bottom line is that keeping Ben Arfa out of the squad up until now seeing what he can offer, is in many ways the same howler the tevez and mascherano benching turned out to be.

We have been robbed of this for half a year, and that is down to bad management.

Pardew gets alot of stick on here it seems, some just, some unjust. But when it comes to Ben Arfa, he deserves criticism.

Ben Arfa had a career threatening injury followed by a further break down after being walloped in pre season with what looked like another career threatening injury.

I think Pardew has handled it pretty well and eased him back very very carefully.

I know people make fun of Pards for going on about work rate, but surely getting him to put in more work than he was before is going to result in a better player. Simply because hes more likely to get on the ball. Its debatable whether it should be expected from a flair player, but its certainly only a positive if you get it happening.

I think you can... His agent has even said as much in that recent article... People on here forget he was nowhere near fit enough to start the season and we went on such a great run that you don't fix what wasn't broken... Slowly and sensibly HBA has been intergrated into the first team and wouldn't be surprised to see him start the remaining fixtures...