Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

To right he should check the club matches his own ambition, does not make him mercenary just means he wants to be in successful team, if we can reassure him of our ambitions then i would not blame him wanting to leave

Andy Brassell ‏@andybrassell

Very impressed by HBA; amiable but frank enough to admit he wouldn't rule out a move. Clearly loves playing in England and has put ball firmly in Ashley/Pardew's court for next season. If they want to grow, he'll stay & if not, he'll go.

Fair enough really. He's a triffic player and doesn't deserve to be at a club that doesn't match his ambition.

By the time his departure is more concrete he'll be a greedy money-grabbing mercenary who plays for himself and isn't committed to the team cause of playing diabolical football too though.

:lol: his body language is going to be an offence to the eyes.

Thing is you don't even have to actually win things, you just have to convince the players that you're trying to. It's not necessarily about spending loads of money, it's about showing that you're always trying to move forwards. In trying to penny-pinch to such a degree the club thought they'd get away with doing little in the summer, and at absolute best we stood still. The fans know it, Pardew knows it, and the players evidently know it too. All we can do is cross our fingers that the money men recognise it too. If they do (and providing we don't actually go down), this season's struggles could end up being worth it in the long run. :thup:

There's been so much wrong with our season; injuries, questionable mentality from certain players, the Europa League excuse rubbing off onto the players, training clearly not having a positive enough effect, certain underachievers on the pitch. However, there are two overriding reasons for our piece of shit season imo:

/ Penny-pinching in the summer, which you mentioned.

/ Abysmal performance from the manager, which you didn't.

I can only see the bolded part happening if both of those points are turned on their head.

I'm grateful that Hatem, and others, have such an affection for the club, and i can see Pardew sweet-talking him into staying at least until next January. However we're walking a treacherously fine line when it comes to our big players. If we continue to linger around these places for the next twelve months, I can see the likes of Hatem, Cisse, Cabaye, Santon becoming easy-pickings for better teams, come another transfer window or two.

Basically, i generally disagree when you say 'you don't have to win things' (or at least compete for the CL places, which is probably as - if not more - important). Just 'convincing' the likes of HBA that we've got ambition will only go so far, imo. It's very obvious, but we need some serious results in the second half of the season, as well as the two points i've listed being properly addressed.

Thing is you don't even have to actually win things, you just have to convince the players that you're trying to. It's not necessarily about spending loads of money, it's about showing that you're always trying to move forwards. In trying to penny-pinch to such a degree the club thought they'd get away with doing little in the summer, and at absolute best we stood still. The fans know it, Pardew knows it, and the players evidently know it too. All we can do is cross our fingers that the money men recognise it too. If they do (and providing we don't actually go down), this season's struggles could end up being worth it in the long run. :thup:

There's been so much wrong with our season; injuries, questionable mentality from certain players, the Europa League excuse rubbing off onto the players, training clearly not having a positive enough effect, certain underachievers on the pitch. However, there are two overriding reasons for our piece of shit season imo:

I can only see the bolded part happening if both of those points are turned on their head.

I'm grateful that Hatem, and others, have such an affection for the club, and i can see Pardew sweet-talking him into staying at least until next January. However we're walking a treacherously fine line when it comes to our big players. If we continue to linger around these places for the next twelve months, I can see the likes of Hatem, Cisse, Cabaye, Santon becoming easy-pickings for better teams, come another transfer window or two.

Basically, i generally disagree when you say 'you don't have to win things' (or at least compete for the CL places, which is probably as - if not more - important). Just 'convincing' the likes of HBA that we've got ambition will only go so far, imo. It's very obvious, but we need some serious results in the second half of the season, as well as the two points i've listed being properly addressed.

Well this season is basically a write-off, so I already think we're looking at the next. Take your point on the manager though, he's not been good enough but I don't see him going any time soon so he needs to be backed by the club. Which means giving him the resources he evidently needs to be able to get results.

If you actually had to win things, we'd never have had any of our great players in the Premier League. We got Ben Arfa himself just after being promoted. It's about creating the belief that we're going places - as you say the limit to this for us is competing for CL spots. Well we did that last year and basically threw away the chance to do so again, aided by the manager getting a number of things wrong. That belief though is what keeps the fans coming back every year, and it's no different for the players.

Well this season is basically a write-off, so I already think we're looking at the next. Take your point on the manager though, he's not been good enough but I don't see him going any time soon so he needs to be backed by the club. Which means giving him the resources he evidently needs to be able to get results.

If you actually have to win things, we'd never have had any of our great players in the Premier League. We got Ben Arfa himself just after being promoted. It's about creating the belief that we're going places - as you say the limit to this for us is competing for CL spots. It's what keeps the fans coming back every year, and it's no different for the players.

Convincing players to join is very different to convincing players to stay - something we've been notoriously sketchy at, thanks to our topsy-turvy Premier League history. All i'm saying is that i think we need to be right back up there in 12 months if we're ever going to keep the players i mentioned.

But aye, this season's a write-off, you're right. And i agree with you about Pardew, too. I think Ashley would keep him even if we got relegated (not that we will).

If you actually have to win things, we'd never have had any of our great players in the Premier League. We got Ben Arfa himself just after being promoted. It's about creating the belief that we're going places - as you say the limit to this for us is competing for CL spots. It's what keeps the fans coming back every year, and it's no different for the players.

Convincing players to join is very different to convincing players to stay - something we've been notoriously sketchy at, thanks to our topsy-turvy Premier League history. All i'm saying is that i think we need to be right back up there in 12 months if we're ever going to keep the players i mentioned.

But aye, this season's a write-off, you're right. And i agree with you about Pardew, too. I think Ashley would keep him even if we got relegated (not that we will).

Totally agree. :thup:

And so it begins:

Simon Bird ‏@simonbirdmirror

Ben arfa on French radio tonight: :" If there's no ambition at Newcastle then maybe I should leave at the end of the season"

The last 2+ pages are talking about his comments.

Guest bimpy474

The beginning of the end for Atam. He won't get the answers he wants and they'll happily take the £10 million for him.

Here comes Mr Cheerful to save the day :lol:

:p

The beginning of the end for Atam. He won't get the answers he wants and they'll happily take the £10 million for him.

Here comes Mr Cheerful to save the day :lol:

:p

His fee might get us the striker we need now in the Summer /positivespin