Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/newcastle-write-off-injured-hatem-ben-arfa-for-rest-of-season-8537070.html

Now Newcastle’s medical staff are weighing up whether to send Ben Arfa for surgery to cure the problem in order for him to return next season.

“I think that’s one of two roads,” said the Newcastle manager, Alan Pardew. “We either go down a similar road to the one we went down before, or an operation and I think our medical team and everyone’s assessment, including the French surgeon, will diagnose him as well.

“The injury has re-occurred in the scar tissue and therefore, do we build the scar tissue up again and try and get him back that way? I think the bottom line is I just said, ‘Look, let’s just forget him this year,’ and that way he has plenty of time to decide, him and his team and our staff, what we think is right for him, and the French national team as well, because they’re in it too. They want him to be back at his best.”

Sounds like the decision is being made by our medical team in discussions with the French lot too - in hindsight might have been better to do the operation back in December, but then I've no idea if that has other associated risks so I'm basically just guessing like everyone else!

It's always best to go without surgery if you can avoid it isn't it?

Yup. If you can rehabilitate it naturally then that's always the best course of action. This has happened before with other players and sportsmen. It's not uncommon for people to try a natural rehabilitation and it not to succeed. Surgery is and should always remain a last resort.

Read the last few pages, it pitch could have made it worse. I played on a pretty frozen 4g pitch a few months back and it's awful to play on and destroys any niggles you have, just because it's like running on concrete. Also not sure how relevant, but a mate of mine works as a groundsman for arsenal and they don't use any 4g pitches anymore (was never told why). They're going to dig them all up and replace with grass even indoor ones.

Read the last few pages, it pitch could have made it worse. I played on a pretty frozen 4g pitch a few months back and it's awful to play on and destroys any niggles you have, just because it's like running on concrete. Also not sure how relevant, but a mate of mine works as a groundsman for arsenal and they don't use any 4g pitches anymore (was never told why). They're going to dig them all up and replace with grass even indoor ones.

I did last sunday and my knee is fucked.

If HBA's fitness guys/our physio's said he was fit, and HBA said he was fit, then there's no blame to be apportioned anywhere.

I'll tell you what though, f*** all this talk of selling him. Anyone thinking like that is completely lost to the money side of the game and hasn't got the love for it anymore. It's Hatem Ben Arfa for f***s sake, you don't sell him unless you've got absolutely no choice.

:thup:

Guest chicken little

some science (couldn't be fucked reading the whole articles, but thought i'd chuck it into the debate - the first suggests at least that artifical turf is more liable to cause joint injuries, though this doesn't mean hba wasn't done a disservice by the pitch in moscow..):

- Pérez-Soriano, P., Llana-Belloch, S., Cortell-Tormo, J. M., & Pérez-Turpin, J. A. (2009). BIOMECHANICAL FACTORS TO BE TAKEN INTO ACCOUNT TO PREVENT INJURIES AND IMPROVE SPORTING PERFORMANCE ON ARTIFICIAL TURF. Journal Of Human Sport & Exercise, 4(2), 78-92.

As regards monitoring the incidence of injuries on artificial turf playing surfaces, the study carried out by González & Payán (2001) should be highlighted, in which they monitored soccer players for two seasons, one of them on natural grass and the other on artificial turf. In this study, the injuries that, etiologically speaking, accounted for the highest percentage on the artificial surface corresponded to a pathology of overuse (tendonitis in most cases), which accounted for 46.3% of the cases, followed by muscle injuries with 25.6%, osteoarticular injuries with 12.8%, ligament injuries with 12.8% and, finally, back injuries with 5.2%.

However, with natural grass, muscle injuries accounted for 37.8%, followed by osteoarticular injuries with 31%, ligament injuries with 13.8%, overuse injuries with 3.4%, back injuries with 3.4% and other injuries with 10.3%. The ankle is the most frequently injured joint with 72.1% of total injuries on a natural playing surface and 40.9% on an artificial playing surface.

Other joints affected were: knee (14.3%/13.6%), shoulder (5.4%/4.5%), hands (3.6%/18.2%), pubis (2.4%/13.6%) and back (2.2%/9.1%).

- Jordana Bieze Foster. Newer artificial turf appears safer for soccer players. Biomechanics14. 9 (Sep 2007): 9.

In a study of more than 2000 young female soccer players over the course of a single eight-month season, investigators from the Oslo Sports Trauma Research Center at the Norwegian School of Sport Sciences found that the incidence of acute injury did not differ significantly between matches and practices conducted on artificial turf and those played on grass. Injury risk also did not differ significantly between surface types when matches and training sessions were analyzed separately.

The findings, which were published in the August issue of the British Journal of Sports Medicine, likely reflect the recent advances in artificial turf technology, which have been particularly welcome in regions like Scandinavia, where climatic extremes make maintenance of natural grass fields difficult. A Swedish study of 290 elite male soccer players published in the December issue of BJSM also found that injury risk did not differ significantly between artificial turf and natural grass.

I did last sunday and my knee is f***ed.

I've had trouble with my knees for ages and was the best it's been for years till that game and now I can only play once a week (sat afternoon on grass) or I would be in trouble with it big time. I'm a big fan of 4g (much better than the old astro) but when it's frozen you might as well play on concrete with thin carpet on top.

Very disappointing news - HBA is one of the few players we have who has great dribbling ability and change of pace..this type of player gives a team a bit of unpredictability and an added weapon that can change a game.

We could have done with him in the last few weeks of the season, esp in the EL with 2 difficult games with Benfica to come...I hope it doesn't cost us.

Marveaux must try to step up but he hasn't got HBA's pace unfortunately.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/newcastle-write-off-injured-hatem-ben-arfa-for-rest-of-season-8537070.html

Now Newcastle’s medical staff are weighing up whether to send Ben Arfa for surgery to cure the problem in order for him to return next season.

“I think that’s one of two roads,” said the Newcastle manager, Alan Pardew. “We either go down a similar road to the one we went down before, or an operation and I think our medical team and everyone’s assessment, including the French surgeon, will diagnose him as well.

“The injury has re-occurred in the scar tissue and therefore, do we build the scar tissue up again and try and get him back that way? I think the bottom line is I just said, ‘Look, let’s just forget him this year,’ and that way he has plenty of time to decide, him and his team and our staff, what we think is right for him, and the French national team as well, because they’re in it too. They want him to be back at his best.”

Sounds like the decision is being made by our medical team in discussions with the French lot too - in hindsight might have been better to do the operation back in December, but then I've no idea if that has other associated risks so I'm basically just guessing like everyone else!

I think that's what they're trying to decide now. Journal says he's going to be assessed by French surgeon to Paris St Germain and the French national doctors. Seems it's a case of scar tissue in the hamstring and whether a prolonged recovery will sort yeild 100% recovery without surgery or whether only surgery itself will sort the problem.

Disappointing but confident he'll be back fine for next season.

I think that's what they're trying to decide now. Journal says he's going to be assessed by French surgeon to Paris St Germain and the French national doctors. Seems it's a case of scar tissue in the hamstring and whether a prolonged recovery will sort yeild 100% recovery without surgery or whether only surgery itself will sort the problem.

What do PSG have to do with anything concerning him?

If HBA's fitness guys/our physio's said he was fit, and HBA said he was fit, then there's no blame to be apportioned anywhere.

I'll tell you what though, fuck all this talk of selling him. Anyone thinking like that is completely lost to the money side of the game and hasn't got the love for it anymore. It's Hatem Ben Arfa for fucks sake, you don't sell him unless you've got absolutely no choice.

And all the while we're stuck playing the likes of Jonas and Obertan on the wing more often than not. These things are connected, you know.

What do PSG have to do with anything concerning him?

Just going to see a French surgeon that PSG use as well?

"He will be assessed by Paris Saint Germain surgeon Eric Rolland in France over the next few days and may go under the knife as early as next week if it is decided he needs the operation" - Journal

I'll tell you what though, fuck all this talk of selling him. Anyone thinking like that is completely lost to the money side of the game and hasn't got the love for it anymore. It's Hatem Ben Arfa for fucks sake, you don't sell him unless you've got absolutely no choice.

And all the while we're stuck playing the likes of Jonas and Obertan on the wing more often than not. These things are connected, you know.

They're not good enough and need to be upgraded.

The power of google makes ordinary men into Medical into experts.

Nobody's to blame, lets just put our support around the lad to get fit and become the legend we know he's capable of being in our shirt.

Should have eased him in with sub appearances, massive gamble and its backfired.

£25m + Carroll? Yes please.

I'd rather rake my eyes out with a spoon.

Bet you Carroll scores more goals than him next season. Plus + £25m spent on replacing a massive crock.

What's your fixation with Carroll though? Surely there's better out there than him?

You are also completely ignoring Carroll's own poor injury record.

No fixation, just believe he will be back here. If you had read previous comments I've said I'd rather have a winger/ striker to replace Ba than bring in Carroll but the manager needs the tools that suits him. Don't let that get in your way for having a go mind. That would be terrible.

I'm not, just think hatem is worse.

I wasn't having a go I was just offering my opinion. I genuinely apologise if it came across that way. :thup:

Ignore me man, just like us all frustrated as fuck about this news. :thup:

A once maligned chairman backed his manager's (Souness it was) judgement when Dyer was signed to a new deal, the Summer straight on the back of limping off in our Eufa cup loss - that's when Dyer began to hit his serious hammy issues. Prior to that it was stress fractures (which required ortho'p surgery - rod inserted) shorlty into SBR's tenureship.

At that time Dyer was to be a central part in Souness' set-up uptop ie. deep playing creative forward, and workhorse, alongside Shearer.Bellamy's replacement in other words. Ben Arfa's just as big a figure in Pardew's set-up, where individual/mercurial brilliance papers overa playing style which doesn't hellavalot of bread&butter & regulation scoring opportunities.

Ben Arfa is one of those 'just a few in a generation' sort of talents, up there with Beardsley. Slim chance we'll strike it rich via the academy (i think the academy is no longer top category status, so our national talent pool - which we are allowed to draw from - is a limited one). And we were incredibly lucky in the market, when we signed Ben Arfa (huge talent signed for relative peanuts).

You've got to give a talent like this a chance, to get his body right - whether it's Pardew or not, as long the manager continues to rate him. Doesn't stop Carr from unearthing a development prospect/understudy.

I can't gravitate towards the calls 'to sell'.

Guest VanBarduck

Surgery it's what makes players more injury prone , as they said "let's forget him this year" but no surgery , 3 month in good facilities such as Merano , or another one in USA that I don't recall , and he'll be all right for pre-season , many players choosed that way , and they're perfectly fine.

I think people doesn't really get how a surgery can be "traumatic" for the body and can cause series of reaction.

Diaby is the perfect example , he never was injured during his youth ,and since his terrible injury in 2006 against Charlton , he had a surgery that kept him out for almost a year and then he became injury prone. He explained in a itw that he basically had to re-build his muscular tissues entirely cause they were no-longer adapt to top-level sport.

Surgery it's what makes players more injury prone , as they said "let's forget him this year" but no surgery , 3 month in good facilities such as Merano , or another one in USA that I don't recall , and he'll be all right for pre-season , many players choosed that way , and they're perfectly fine.

I think people doesn't really get how a surgery can be "traumatic" for the body and can cause series of reaction.

Diaby is the perfect example , he never was injured during his youth ,and since his terrible injury in 2006 against Charlton , he had a surgery that kept him out for almost a year and then he became injury prone. He explained in a itw that he basically had to re-build his muscular tissues entirely cause they were no-longer adapt to top-level sport.

With insight like that you should be working at the very top. Get your CV handed in.