Keeper Attacks Supporter and Match Abandoned (Dutch Cup Game -AJAX/AZ)

Crumpy Gunt

He went about it in completely the wrong way, but in essence the referee was right to show the red card to the keeper.

I don't pretend to know much about refs guidelines, but someone not a part of the game came on the pitch and attacked him and he retaliated.  Not sure why that would have merited a red card as it was unconnected to the game.

He went about it in completely the wrong way, but in essence the referee was right to show the red card to the keeper.

I don't pretend to know much about refs guidelines, but someone not a part of the game came on the pitch and attacked him and he retaliated.  Not sure why that would have merited a red card as it was unconnected to the game.

It was violent conduct whilst on the field of play. It doesn't matter who it's against.

It was violent conduct whilst on the field of play. It doesn't matter who it's against.

Bollocks that like. So if the bloke had a baseball bat and the keeper did this he'd still get sent off? Where's the understanding of context?

Tbf the ref sums it up in his quote. Taking him down is one thing, to kick him whilst on the deck is another. Can't help but think if he kicked him down like he did, then just got him in a hold of some sort, there wouldn't have been a red. But at the same time, I probably would've gone and done the same thing. You're trying to do your job, and some prick runs on the field to fly kick you, you're going to want to do the cunts in. Pleased to see it myself. Go and watch the cunt claim assault now and get something out of it.

You see that in games already as it is without the mentalists running on. A player will haul himself at another, the guy being attacked just shoves back and both get sent off. It's retarded.

Bollocks that like. So if the bloke had a baseball bat and the keeper did this he'd still get sent off? Where's the understanding of context?

Probably. Put it this way, the referee would be following the rules if he did. They're simply given no room to show common sense these days.

Or to even take it to the next extreme, a knife (which I don't think is beyond the realms of possibility).  As a rubbish analogy, I expect to be able to go to work and not be attacked by someone who doesn't work there.  I wouldn't expect to be sacked if one of my customers came in and punched me for no reason and I retaliated.

Watching it back again...I really hope all managers would do that in those circumstances. Good on him.

Hope the Dutch FA don't punish them because there's no way that was fair. The situation is outside the rules of a game and he did the right thing (manager hauling his team off).

That ref is a fool.

:lol:

He acted within his limitations and within the laws of the game. Doesn't make it right, but it's not really his fault.

I'm not actually. I'm defending a fellow referee for making a decision that he made in the spur of the moment, in keeping with the rules of the game.

It's a stupid rule, but he didn't write it - he just follows it. 'Violent conduct' is violent conduct. The rule doesn't say anything about self-defence or retaliation or whether it's against an opposition player, a teammate, an official, the manager or a fan.

If you're a player on the field of play and you commit an act that is interpreted as 'violent conduct' then you are shown a red card. It's as simple as that.

Well I hope the Dutch FA wipe it out...as it's crazy.

Yes it is crazy - I'm not defending the rule, I'm defending the referee for following it :razz:

Surely there has to be room in the game for a bit of common sense though?

Yes, but that's not the job of one insignificant referee in a Dutch cup game.

That's what FIFA have to do. Along with sorting other things, like leaving the field of play and taking your shirt off.

Law 12:

A player is also guilty of violent conduct if he uses excessive force or brutality against

a team-mate, spectator, match official or any other person.

Violent conduct may occur either on the fi eld of play or outside its boundaries,

whether the ball is in play or not.

Should be a red card, even if harsh imo, should be left to groundstaff, players getting in fights with supporters can aggravate things. Yes there's defending oneself, but looks like the player got into a proper fight.

Ref totally mishandled it, he needed to wait for all the furore to die down and the brawls to be broken up. Still a red by letter of law imo though.

The referee showed no brains whatsoever by following the rule, that's the point. As if he'd get into trouble or punished for not sending the keeper off ffs.

Add to that he showed very little common sense and compassion in the way he handled sending him off. He figuratively kicked him when he was down.

The referee showed no brains whatsoever by following the rule, that's the point. As if he'd get into trouble or punished for not sending the keeper off ffs.

Add to that he showed very little common sense and compassion in the way he handled sending him off. He figuratively kicked him when he was down.

As opposed to Esteban, who literally did exactly that, kicking the fan while he was down.

It's perfectly valid to say that Esteban should have the right to work in a safe environment, and the scenario of a weapon is not so far-fetched (for those old enough to remember Monica Seles). My problem is that Esteban continued to attack the fan - the steward knew that Esteban was out of control when he imposed his body between the fan and the keeper. And I'm not going to say Esteban should have been in full control, having been struck unawares and no doubt his initial reaction was to be scared witless. But while the primeval side of us enjoyed watching vigilante justice being meted out, to continue kicking the fan cannot be condoned

It was a very ugly situation that will probably see the fan banned for life and possibly charged, the keeper's red standing and possibly even an extra slap on the wrist. It will get messy when the Dutch FA fines AZ and Verbeek and also awards the match to Ajax, which they will surely do.

The ref, who certainly could and should have handled the situation with more tact, will almost certainly get a thumbs up for correctly applying the rules in an extraordinary situation...