Liverpool vs Newcastle United - 30/12/11 @ 7.45pm (live on Sky) pre-match thread

Dave

I can't see us getting anything from this game if we go 4-4-2.  I know we always do go 4-4-2, I just think this is the game that we really need to change it and go with an extra man in the middle.

We're usually shit at Liverpool so tightening things up should only help and give us a chance to get into the game.  We can then try to have a go at them if we shut the crown up, which we will after them dropping points to Wigan and Blackburn.

Suarez missing and patchy home form means we have to have a go. They'll be looking for a reaction after the Blackburn result and may have Gerrard available to start which will lift the fans, though they might not want to start him with a big game against Man City coming 4 days later. They may decide to give him the extra days and target that game for a comeback. Let's hope so.

I'd like to see Santon come back in but I don't see it happening. Ben Arfa has to start up front and I think he will after the Bolton game. Best had a very poor match. 4-5-1 wouldn't be a bad shout, Ben Arfa to replace Obertan out wide and a midfield 3 of Tiote, Cabaye and Vuckic/Gosling. But I reckon he'll see that as too many changes all at once and I don't think he fancies Ben Arfa out wide as he'll leave Simpson exposed. I reckon we'll go 4-4-2 again but with Ben Arfa playing off Ba. Tiote and Cabaye to play deep and protect the back four and Ben Arfa to come deep for the ball and try to link up with Ba or the wingers when he gets it.

We need to get the balance right here. Have a nasty feeling Carroll and Enrique will both put in a big game but hopefully in Ba and Ben Arfa we'll have a strikeforce to cause problems. Tiote and Cabaye are key for us, on their day they are capable of dominating the midfield but they were poor for large spells of the game at Bolton and Tiote wasn't at his best against West Brom either. Expecting much more from them here.

Where are people drinking before the match? Any special pubs for away fans?

steer clear of the flat iron :scared:

theres one 2 mins from the ground (the arkle i think??) was full of newcastle fans last season before the match, but wouldn't let us back in afterwards

Had a look around on there and in a thread about Ba someone reckons a Premier League club doctor told them he:

Only has a third of his ACL left and a gaping hole in his articular cartilage. Pretty major problem, one wrong turn and it's career over for the lad.

Had a look around on there and in a thread about Ba someone reckons a Premier League club doctor told them he:

Only has a third of his ACL left and a gaping hole in his articular cartilage. Pretty major problem, one wrong turn and it's career over for the lad.

Fine. I hope it'll be a long, long time till he makes this 'wrong turn'.